I'm new, please be gentle.

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
tojjer
Great Britain

I'm new, please be gentle.

Post by tojjer »

Hi all,

Pleased to say that I am picking up my new ( to me ) R1200RT LE this Friday. Currently riding a Yamaha Tracer GT which is only 9 months old. Been round France on it and all over the south UK on day trips. Lovely bike, but I'm not the smallest and I think in reality it's a little small for me.

Friends currently have beemers, I had a K1100LT years ago, and every time I looked to change my bike over the years I've always said I'd have another BMW. It was always the cost that put me off when compared to other makes.

I've done it though, finally got another one. It's a 2016 RT LE in white, and I honestly can't wait to get it and start riding it.
Got a tour of Wales and Scotland all booked up for July so looking forward to that even more now :-)

Forum looks good with lots of knowledge. Hope to contribute in some way soon.

tojj
Last edited by tojjer on Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Re: I'm new, please be gentle.

Post by BoB21 »

Welcome and enjoy
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

White is the best colour, good choice! I’ve done 20,000 miles on mine without a problem and enjoyed every ride.[emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Welcome to the forum!

I have white bike with old-fashioned go-faster stripes

John Bentall
Dee Dub

Post by Dee Dub »

If you share the dates that you'll be in Wales, and if folk here are free, we might sort a guided tour for you! Well, a meetup and short ride at least!!
DW
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

tojjer wrote:Got a tour of Wales and Scotland all booked up for July.
Dee Dub wrote:If you share the dates that you'll be in Wales, and if folk here are free, we might sort a guided tour for you! Well, a meetup and short ride at least!
How about Scotland too?

There is a meet up and ride in England in July, viewtopic.php?t=6
Last edited by David. on Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dee Dub

Post by Dee Dub »

David. wrote: How about Scotland too?

Personally, that would be a little bit out of my way!!! But South, Mid and West Wales are manageable for me.
DW
tojjer
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

Thanks for the welcomes everyone.
The Wales bit on the way up is a blast up past Tinterne Abbey,  then A49 up to pick up the M6 at Warrington.  Main tour is Scotland for 7 days but thought we'd nip up through Wales on the way up, but do Snowdonia and the Brecons on the way home again.
We're tied to the route we've planned and tight on time for a detour tour ( if that makes sense ) but thank you for the offer. We will be back for another tour of  Wales soon cos we love  the roads up there. Last time we based ourselves in Llandridod Wells and did different routes each day. 
Unfortunately, the last time we did the Llanberis Pass, one of our lot decided to chuck his Kawasaki at a stone wall! He was ok, bike didn't fair so well. He got recovered home to Dorset from there and missed out on the rest of the trip. Quite embarrasing when the Police turned up and asked if he needed an ambulance. We were insistant that he didn't but she said she would be happier if he was checked over by "professionals".  Sheepishly we had to tell her that we were all Paramedics!!
:silence:
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Welcome and enjoy in my opinion the best touring bike out there at the moment !!!!!!
Rick B

Post by Rick B »

Welcome and enjoy ,Were hoping to do the NC500 anti clockwise around June so hopefully the weather will be good (but not the midges  :not: )
tojjer
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

Really looking forward to the Applecross Pass. Is it as steep as people make out?  Hard to properly assess by the YT videos.
We were initially going to camp, but bottled it due to the midges!
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Only three hairpins one is bad but not worst ive done and im two up. Did it going up.
Gogs11uk

Post by Gogs11uk »

The pass is great on the bike and only ok in a car. Been over it a few times when I had the 1800 Goldwing but not ventured there on th 1200RT yet. Really good run out and back to Inverness just watch the long straights as the plod usually park an unmarked car there and catches quite a lot out.
tojjer
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

Gogs11uk wrote: Really good run out and back to Inverness just watch the long straights as the plod usually park an unmarked car there and catches quite a lot out.
We were thinking plod would be about somewhere up there due to the popularity with bikes. I'm told they even use unmarked bikes too. Saw a vid on YT where a biker went passed an unmarked car who had someone pulled over near Glencoe,  then he pulled the bike over shortly afterwards.
Rick B

Post by Rick B »

tojjer wrote: Really looking forward to the Applecross Pass. Is it as steep as people make out?  Hard to properly assess by the YT videos.
We were initially going to camp, but bottled it due to the midges!
[/quote
Thats why were doing it anti clockwise,as you come in at the top and the views are tons better looking over rather than looking up ,Check out Steve Clarkes vids on YT regarding the NC 500]