I'm new, please be gentle.

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
BoB21
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Re: I'm new, please be gentle.

Post by BoB21 »

The nc500 is not just the one pass. Yes view is better going down pass but more of challange to go up and can stop if want other areas view better other way. The weather is a better guide to which way to go. Id prefer two days of sunshine than rain.
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

Let’s hope you have better conditions than we had! Visibility on the pass was down to about 20 yards with howling wind and driving rain. This got so bad that after two days of this we had to abandon going any further north on the NC500 and return back home to London. Don’t underestimate the midges either, they’ll drive you mad. And this was in June when it’s supposed to be better weather. With trips like this it’s a gamble as you need to book nice accommodation months in advance and take a chance with the weather. Don’t let me put you off though, the roads and scenery are as good an adventure as you’ll get in the UK. I might give it another go when I dry out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tojjer
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

I've done all the roads before in a car, but not the Applecross Pass. Hotels/ hostels are all booked and paid for already. 
Don't mind riding in crappy weather ( prefer not to though ) but appreciate it will spoil the views.
6 of us going so should be a hoot, and we will be going up the hairpins, so may need to stop briefly to appreciate the view back behind us
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

tojjer wrote: I'm told they even use unmarked bikes too.

They use them in Essex to. They used to have a black K1300S, no idea what they use now
tojjer
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

PeteM wrote:
They use them in Essex to. They used to have a black K1300S, no idea what they use now

Sneaky
Gogs11uk

Post by Gogs11uk »

Plod have changed their unmarked cars lately i believe and I'm not aware of what they're running now. If I get the info I'll post back. To be honest once you are on the go enjoy the scenery and make sure you stop at the car park on top of the pass. If it's a good day, you can see over to Skye as well. Really love this trip.
tojjer
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

Gogs11uk wrote: Plod have changed their unmarked cars lately i believe and I'm not aware of what they're running now. If I get the info I'll post back. To be honest once you are on the go enjoy the scenery and make sure you stop at the car park on top of the pass. If it's a good day, you can see over to Skye as well. Really love this trip.

We will, thank you.

I picked her up today, had a 2.5 hr run back home and enjoyed every minute of it.
It's got the dynamic package on it and hill start which is a nice bonus. 3 weeks off work now, so gonna get some miles in
Last edited by tojjer on Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.