One-piece RT seat?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

One-piece RT seat?

Post by jackronner »

Do they offer one as an option, or is there an aftermarket version?  I find the rear of the driver's seat where it meets the rear section to be a literal pain in the ass.  I'd prefer an "unseamly" one-piece with a gradual rise to the rear part.  It would let you vary your butt position further back to prevent fatigue, and wouldn't make you feel like that rear lip is leaving a welt across you buttcrack.  X marks the spot.
PeteM

Re: One-piece RT seat?

Post by PeteM »

jackronner wrote: Do they offer one as an option, or is there an aftermarket version?  I find the rear of the driver's seat where it meets the rear section to be a literal pain in the ass.  I'd prefer an "unseamly" one-piece with a gradual rise to the rear part.  It would let you vary your butt position further back to prevent fatigue, and wouldn't make you feel like that rear lip is leaving a welt across you buttcrack.  X marks the spot.

Yes it is called the comfort seat, part number 77 34 7 708 878 see [size=78%]https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.com/uk/bmw-komfort-seat-black-r1200rt-2005-2012-r900-rt-2009-2012.html[/size] It is a lower seat though which some people find far too low (I didn't as I have ducks disease). I had one on my old bike and liked it a lot as did my wife
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Thanks, Pete.  I'd also prefer a lower seat height, especially when backing up, but nearly 500 quid???  Maybe I can find one used.  I suppose there's less padding, but on a long tour I could slip on a pad I got from Gelco, in Arizona. Here's their Facebook page.  You can remove the seat, pass a flat looped strap through the carrying handle and around the seat then put the seat back in place, securing it in place.  It's got a lovely void where you tailbone fits.  Also, I've lowered my seat quite a bit by simply taking out all he height adjustment hardware.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Actually I think it has more padding. Also it requires the removal of the height adjustment bits. You have a good chance of finding one second hand as they do not fit the LCs or 1250s, I took mine off and sold it separately when I bought my 1250