Tank Bag recommendations please

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
tojjer
Great Britain

Tank Bag recommendations please

Post by tojjer »

Hi,

I wish to buy a tank bag for my 2016 RT. Is there any I should avoid like the plague, is there any that come highly recommended?
I don't want anything massive, just for phone, passport, battery charger etc

Cheers
tojj
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Re: Tank Bag recommendations please

Post by BoB21 »

Make sure doesnt hit kill swich on full lock. Use BMW one myself bought off ebay. Really like it.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

I will assume that you have abided by the etiquette of all motorcycle forums on the planet and done a search first.

The last time Ride magazine tested click-on tank-bags in June 2016 the Givi Tanklock bags and Kappa (also made by Givi) were well rated. The Givi ST603 was the best buy back then. Givi bags also receive approval by their owners on this forum.

I have a SW-Motech City bag which I also like but does need a cover when it rains. The SW-Motech bags require one to drill holes in the bags (using a template!) according to how far forward on the tank they need to mount to avoid fouling the steering or horn button. This makes them, deservedly, less popular than other brands, but at least you only have to do it once.

Nowadays I would prefer a bag which you can lock to the bike so that you are not forced to carry it with you everywhere if you leave the bike unattended - so Givi TanklockED (UT series) or SW-Motech Evo-mount would be good options, FWIW. Then choose the size that suits you. The bars on the RT are narrow, so be wary about choosing a wide bag. I doubt that you will be in trouble with the size that you are thinking of.

I hope this helps.....

John

John Bentall
tojjer
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

Thank you both. I did search first, but came away more confused really.

Last edited by tojjer on Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RT Slim

Post by RT Slim »

I've been very satisfied with the Hepco Becker Street Tourer M for my '16 RT. The magnetic mount holds steadfast but easily detaches come refueling time. It is also expandable.
ezymount

Post by ezymount »

SWMotec
Attachments
DFC98818-911C-4D0E-A671-56F7EBACC025.jpeg
Jim - 2020 ‘B’
Rick B

Post by Rick B »

Had this on my 16 RT for a few years now,great bag not too interfering with the barsand holds a ton of stuff,i bought it a few quid cheaper from J and S and im not sure why SBS have now made it specific for the Africa and Versy.definitely recommend.
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/332496
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Rick B wrote: im not sure why SBS have now made it specific for the Africa and Versy.
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/332496

The profile looks similar to the SW-Motech Citybag recommended for the RT.

Givi are saying the bag has been designed specifically for the Africa Twin/ Versys but will fit on any bike with a similarly-profiled tank (in relation to the petrol filler).

Really the best thing to do is to find a shop with a good selection of bags and to try them on the bike. I went to Bykebitz near Reading and I was allowed to take any bag on display outside to test fit on the bike.

Hope this helps...

John

Tojjer, you have encountered the other peculiarity of every motorcycle forum on the planet- ask 10 people the same question and you'll get 11 different answers!

Please don't ask questions about oil or tyres  ^-^  as they go on forever....
John Bentall
tojjer
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

:)
It's brilliant the way people answer, cos everyone has different bags for different needs. I always do the search first, but I find it's always best to ask people that have used the things long term and found out the problems or benefits that happen after long term use.

I'm lucky that I only need a fairly small one. I will indeed try and find a store with a varied choice, it will give me a ride out to get there if nothing else. Thank you for the help and advice, especially pictures ( we love pics )it really is appreciated.

A lot of people swear by the Givi stuff. I have also read about a lot of people having problems with the plastic locking mechanism wearing eventually. I would think it would take a long time to wear though, plastic these days is very tough.
I am undecided about magnetised, I assume it would pick up and metal fragments laying around and could possibly transfer to the paintwork if not checked properly first?

SW Motech make quality gear I'm told. Watched a video on drilling the holes for the adapter plate. Seemed simple enough to do.

Hopefully post a pic or two when I get one.

Thanks again
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

I've got one of the very small Givi tank lock bags on my 1250, I think it is an XS319 but it is about that size. Perfect for passport, wallet, toll road tickets, phone, camera etc. It is not supposed to be water proof but I think in reality it is only the zip that would be a problem so I have never bothered using the cover as it is pretty sheltered where it sits.

I've also got something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00W42FBF6/ ... zEbS3Q10DX to charge my phone. goes through the gap where the zips meet and into the power take off on the front fairing.

The only problem is that on full left lock, as when using the steering lock it presses the auxiliary light button not a problem if you lock and unlock the steering with the ignition off but if you do as I normally do and switch off the engine with kill switch and only turn off the ignition when you lock the bike then the lights may not be set as you last rode when you unlock. Minor problem really but annoys me every time.
tojjer
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

PeteM wrote: I've got one of the very small Givi tank lock bags on my 1250, I think it is an XS319 but it is about that size. Perfect for passport, wallet, toll road tickets, phone, camera etc. It is not supposed to be water proof but I think in reality it is only the zip that would be a problem so I have never bothered using the cover as it is pretty sheltered where it sits.

I've also got something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00W42FBF6/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_KLGzEbS3Q10DX to charge my phone. goes through the gap where the zips meet and into the power take off on the front fairing.

The only problem is that on full left lock, as when using the steering lock it presses the auxiliary light button not a problem if you lock and unlock the steering with the ignition off but if you do as I normally do and switch off the engine with kill switch and only turn off the ignition when you lock the bike then the lights may not be set as you last rode when you unlock. Minor problem really but annoys me every time.

Pete,

Do you have a pic or two of your bike with that small bag on please?

Thanks
tojj
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

tojjer wrote:
Pete,

Do you have a pic or two of your bike with that small bag on please?

Thanks
tojj

Here you go: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ASCL3b1u1o9d3T4h9

They are from my phone as that is a lot less hassle creating an on-line gallery.

I've included shots with the bike on full lock either way so can see that even with a tank bag this small there is still a little interference with the switches but the only one it really affects is the auxiliary lights, I've also given you close ups of how I use the power charger. You can see I have bought some short leads from the USB to the phone as that is neater, I've also got one for both my GoPro and travel camera. Last two shots are to give you an idea of size and how the locking mechanism works, passport is to give scale.

I've checked my original receipt and it is a Givi  XS319, not sure if it is still made but they have similar now. They also do a kit for wiring in a phone charger and it is neat if very expensive for what it does (about £50), hence doing it the way I do it; that charger I linked earlier is actually the one I use and it works very well.

Hope this helps, if you need more info just shout.

Cheers

Pete
tojjer
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

Thank you very much for taking the time to do that for me, it's very much appreciated. That is the size I want, nothing bigger needed for me really. I think that would house what I needed it to. I'll look into those.

Thanks again.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

tojjer wrote: Thank you very much for taking the time to do that for me, it's very much appreciated. That is the size I want, nothing bigger needed for me really. I think that would house what I needed it to. I'll look into those.

Thanks again.

No problem

The XS319 is three litres and that easily carries all of my quick access requirements.
dleasman

Post by dleasman »

Though are many tank bags, and everyone likes something different... I chose the SW-Motech EVO City, without the electrical connector. The fit and contour are prefect. There are times I wish it had more storage, but any bigger, and it would be in my way. It's expensive, but high quality, and I love the quick disconnect feature, plus, you do have the ability to pin lock it from the inside if you ever wanted to. I like the look of it, and it has 3 additional, small compartments in addition to the main storage. GIVI makes a similar product, with a lock ring, that is also very good. For me, the locking ring is worth the extra money.