Auxiliary lights

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Auxiliary lights

Post by jackronner »

I'm considering buying a pair of such lights that apparently clip on to the forks.  It would seem to me that they would be subject to much flutter with the constant up and down motion of the forks.  Anyone have any experience or opinions?
R2K

Re: Auxiliary lights

Post by R2K »

Clearwater Darla’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bicyclenut
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT
United States of America

Post by bicyclenut »

Clearwater Darlas on mine. Fork mounted. Moved pair from previous bike and had been located in same fork mount location, no issues and they follow the road no issues.
Photo is of my bike with lights on Clearwater web site...[attach=1][attachimg=1][attach=1]
Attachments
Clearwater Web Page copy.jpg
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

I've been looking at Denali lights.  Trouble is their brackets stick the lights up by the mirrors, which I don't like, and I'm too tight to buy the BMW mounts.
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

I think I'll give 'em a go.  On the forks, I like that they'd turn with the wheel, pointing right towards the curve rather than a fixed light on the fairing.  Did I mention the seller only wants $35 for the pair? 
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

jackronner wrote: I think I'll give 'em a go.  On the forks, I like that they'd turn with the wheel, pointing right towards the curve rather than a fixed light on the fairing.  Did I mention the seller only wants $35 for the pair?

What lights are they?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Sprintgull wrote: I've been looking at Denali lights.  Trouble is their brackets stick the lights up by the mirrors, which I don't like, and I'm too tight to buy the BMW mounts.

I thought that, but in the end I fitted the Denali D2 on the mirror brackets and I quite like them now. When you indicate they go off so as not to wash out the indicators. I thought Denali also made a fork mount, but could be wrong :)
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Bandytales,  They're  Cree.
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

I really like the idea of fork mounted lights since they turn with the wheel to show the curve, but wonder about the mounting brackets.  The clamps are only about half the diameter of the forks.  With a bit of rubber stripping inside the clamps and longer bolts with spring washers, will they reliably hold?  The only other fixing points are a single, thin screw that holds the plastic lower-fork shroud, or possibly a longer bolt into one of the fixing points of the brake calipers onto the fork.  Any ideas/experience?
pkpilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by pkpilot »

jackronner wrote: I really like the idea of fork mounted lights since they turn with the wheel to show the curve, but wonder about the mounting brackets.  The clamps are only about half the diameter of the forks.  With a bit of rubber stripping inside the clamps and longer bolts with spring washers, will they reliably hold?  The only other fixing points are a single, thin screw that holds the plastic lower-fork shroud, or possibly a longer bolt into one of the fixing points of the brake calipers onto the fork.  Any ideas/experience?
Unless you are going pretty slow, you are not turning the front wheel enough to illuminate a curve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ezymount

Post by ezymount »

This combo works great for me. Lower aux lights mounted to engine guard. They are always on and provide adequate aux illumination at night. Right side lamp is adjusted to look slightly to the right, providing more road edge coverage. Upper aux lights are not usually turned on. I only use them with high beam and for emergency use, as needed !
Attachments
3FAB6B35-20F2-4544-BE1F-7C74DC0E989B.jpeg
Jim - 2020 ‘B’