Impersonating a police officer

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
PeteM

Re: Impersonating a police officer

Post by PeteM »

I saw an article recently that said there was evidence of yellow high vis overload, so there is so much of it about it no longer registers. The suggestion in the conclusion was that pink high vis was the best option as it was sufficiently rare that it stands out
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

PeteM wrote:I saw an article recently that said there was evidence of yellow high vis overload, so there is so much of it about it no longer registers.
I've heard from the local IAM group's Chief Observer & Training Officer that the IAM themselves may no longer promote the wearing of Hi-Viz.

A local retired Police motorcyclist also does not wear Hi-Viz, said, "he'd had enough of that at work".
Easyrider5258
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Easyrider5258 »

I have a white 1250, seems to have good road presence, and have witnessed people breaking to below limit as I'm coming up behind, also sharp pullovers without any hi viz, I also ride a green r1100rt and there is a difference, I do carry a hi viz gilet (are you still supposed to in France?) I put it on on really dull murky days but usually don't bother
I like the white 1250's, and happy to choose that color over the others
East Anglia (Fenland)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I bought a white helmet a year ago. IMO, they are more visible than some, plus it was £200 less than the same coloured one.

When taking my first RoSPA test in 2009, I started to wear Hi-Viz. My thinking was that I was told the examiner would expect me to have a full working knowledge of the Highway Code. The H C advises you to make yourself as visible as possible by wearing a light or brightly coloured helmet and fluorescent clothing. Thought it would create a good impression even before I took the test.

Had a silver bike at the time and my experiences were as those above. When coming up behind someone, they would jump on the brakes and pull over, a possible danger in itself.

Have since stopped wearing Hi-Viz. My theory is that I hope my post-test training will help to keep me safe. Rather than assuming that folks will see me if I'm dressed and lit up like a Christmas tree.
Sharkfighter
Bike Model and Year: 2013 1200RT
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Sharkfighter »

I used to be a traffic officer both driving cars and riding motorcycles, I retired 3 years ago. I've had instances Where motorists have pulled out when I've been responding to incidents and had blue lights, flashing headlights going. I've had one incident on the M1 when I was doing 120 mph and a car just changed lanes in front of me, to say the language in the car was blue would be an understatement!
The problem these days is that motorists don't seem to check before doing anything. Its very often the case these days of indicate and change lanes regardless of whether there's a safe gap or if another vehicle is approaching.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

There are several retired traffic cops (car/bike) as members of this forum. It's great to have access to their wealth of knowledge & experience, thank you.
davef1uk

Post by davef1uk »

Sharkfighter wrote: The problem these days is that motorists don't seem to check before doing anything. Its very often the case these days of indicate and change lanes regardless of whether there's a safe gap or if another vehicle is approaching.
Very true Shark... I used to be a driving instructor...basic training seems to be forgotten...instead of finding these individuals, I think it would be better to re test or re train these with the outcome being decided by passing the course. 

Points and fines don’t deter them from bad habits. 

On a ride out recently, a biker colleague leading the ride was nearly knocked off by a young girl driver who approached an unmarked junction too fast and stopped a metre into his lane.  He isn’t advanced so his position wasn’t right, but either way, it shows the dangers drivers or riders face without proper checks. 

I think if the DSA implemented a point system that you accumulate from bad driving, this then triggers the retest. 

I have trained a few ordered by courts to retest.  But I think it should be more standard than court ordered. 
Motorbiking is a life, not a hobby.  Ride with Pride.  😜
Sharkfighter
Bike Model and Year: 2013 1200RT
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Sharkfighter »

I have to agree. The majority of motorists on the road have had no further training since passing their driving test, I bet that if they were to retake the test now then they would fail as bad habits have crept in.

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Both RoSPA and the IAM recognise the need for re-testing to maintain post-test/advanced skills.

To maintain a RoSPA qualification, a mandatory 3 yearly test is required.

The IAM have introduced a voluntary Fellow Membership which requires a test every 3 years.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Sharkfighter wrote: I used to be a traffic officer both driving cars and riding motorcycles, I retired 3 years ago. I've had instances Where motorists have pulled out when I've been responding to incidents and had blue lights, flashing headlights going. I've had one incident on the M1 when I was doing 120 mph and a car just changed lanes in front of me, to say the language in the car was blue would be an understatement!
The problem these days is that motorists don't seem to check before doing anything. Its very often the case these days of indicate and change lanes regardless of whether there's a safe gap or if another vehicle is approaching.
I just wonder if because cars are so much safer than when we were young that people do not fear the consequences of a collision so much as they can be fairly confident of walking away.  However, falling off a bike hurts just as much now as it did way back then......
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

In our Blood Bike group we either re-test for RoSPA or check ride with a qualified examiner for non fellowship IAM members every 3 years to maintain standards. Everyone gets bad habits and rusty, so this is a bonus :)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

First did post-test/advanced training with the IAM in 2005. Followed this up with RoSPA in 2009 & 2013. Yes, the periods of time between each re-test was 4 years but definitely felt it was an appropriate time to refresh skills. Not had a test since but did have a check ride with a RoSPA tutor a couple of years ago.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

David. wrote: First did post-test/advanced training with the IAM in 2005. Followed this up with RoSPA in 2009 & 2013. Yes, the periods of time between each re-test was 4 years but definitely felt it was an appropriate time to refresh skills. Not had a test since but did have a check ride with a RoSPA tutor a couple of years ago.

The thing about IAM and RoSPA (I am current in both) is that it is a test of riding at the time. Passing the tests, do not make you an advanced rider, it means you have managed to meet the standards of the test. 1000s of miles and continuous training possibly makes you an advanced rider. I try and do some kind of advanced riding training each year. We have members in our blood bike group who have passed IAM, but I would struggle to class them as advanced riders, some just do not have the miles under their belts or experience to be classed as advanced riders, but you have to start somewhere and have a criteria to work to. The absolute best riders I have trained and ridden with are the Police, they are the gold standard :) But any training is far better than none.
MikeS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Casbar wrote:
The thing about IAM and RoSPA (I am current in both) is that it is a test of riding at the time. Passing the tests, do not make you an advanced rider, it means you have managed to meet the standards of the test. 1000s of miles and continuous training possibly makes you an advanced rider. I try and do some kind of advanced riding training each year. We have members in our blood bike group who have passed IAM, but I would struggle to class them as advanced riders, some just do not have the miles under their belts or experience to be classed as advanced riders, but you have to start somewhere and have a criteria to work to. The absolute best riders I have trained and ridden with are the Police, they are the gold standard :) But any training is far better than none.

I joined IAM in 2002 and again in 2008 , managing to pass the test. Have since attended 3 bikesafe days by way of refreshers. I would class myself as a competent rider but in no way advanced. Each time I have a bikesafe assessment  I'm reminded of this.

I plan to look into RoSPA training and assessment once things settle down.

Last edited by MikeS on Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

PeteM wrote: I saw an article recently that said there was evidence of yellow high vis overload, so there is so much of it about it no longer registers. The suggestion in the conclusion was that pink high vis was the best option as it was sufficiently rare that it stands out

Right, that's me sorted for any future ride outs.
Attachments
POLITE-THINK-BIKE-PINK-500x500_920x.jpg