Using bike's alarm system to warn of tampering with GPS

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
gadgetgaz
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Using bike's alarm system to warn of tampering with GPS

Post by gadgetgaz »

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I could have posted it in the electrical section as well.
I'm thinking about the possibility of how to trigger the BMW alarm system if someone pressed the GPS release button when the central locking is activated or the ignition is switched off.
This would be in addition to a DIY GPS central locking mod.
My question relates to the alarm system. On my 2005 RT the factory BMW alarm does not have an accessory circuit like some other alarm systems do (allowing you to run a wire around the bike, such as through the handle of a tankbag, that would trigger the alarm if the circuit was broken).
Is the factory alarm system on the >2014 wetheads the same system as the earlier bikes? If not does it have an accessory loop? Does it interact with the central locking at all?
I don't get the bike until next week but can't stop planning stuff!
I need to investigate how to trigger it if someone were to simply press the GPS release button. It should be easy enough to fit a micro switch to the push button but the question is, how to make that trigger the alarm?
If there is no simple method (such as an accessory loop, or a circuit linked to the pannier catches or something) perhaps I could just use the microswitch to interrupt the power supply to the alarm - I'm sure that would trigger it.
Any thoughts?
2023 R1205RT LE Sport Blue. Retired motorcycle cop now IT consultant and RoSPA RoADAR examiner.
Beagle

Re: Using bike's alarm system to warn of tampering with GPS

Post by Beagle »

Problem with alarms is usually only you do something if you are in the vicinity, most people just ignore them even if someone is nicking your bike or car. Is it better to remove Sat Nav or fit a mechanical lock/device.
gadgetgaz
Great Britain

Post by gadgetgaz »

I think you're probably right but I was extrapolating the argument that even if I fit a mechanical lock to the satnav (either the key operated type or connected to the central locking) then somebody determined enough could still prise it off with a big lever. If there was a 140dB siren going off they would not persist!
Plus, it's a function that BMW really ought to have included - a lock for the GPS and a simple circuit to link it to the bike's alarm system.
2023 R1205RT LE Sport Blue. Retired motorcycle cop now IT consultant and RoSPA RoADAR examiner.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I understand your thinking but would a thief just pressing a button then legging it be bothered about an alarm going off in the distance which is where they will be?
The other thing is that they wont know its alarmed till they’ve nicked it.

Just a thought.

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Really the only way to stop the sat nav getting pinched - is take it with you.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

gadgetgaz wrote: Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I could have posted it in the electrical section as well.
I'm thinking about the possibility of how to trigger the BMW alarm system if someone pressed the GPS release button when the central locking is activated or the ignition is switched off.
This would be in addition to a DIY GPS central locking mod.
My question relates to the alarm system. On my 2005 RT the factory BMW alarm does not have an accessory circuit like some other alarm systems do (allowing you to run a wire around the bike, such as through the handle of a tankbag, that would trigger the alarm if the circuit was broken).
Is the factory alarm system on the >2014 wetheads the same system as the earlier bikes? If not does it have an accessory loop? Does it interact with the central locking at all?
I don't get the bike until next week but can't stop planning stuff!
I need to investigate how to trigger it if someone were to simply press the GPS release button. It should be easy enough to fit a micro switch to the push button but the question is, how to make that trigger the alarm?
If there is no simple method (such as an accessory loop, or a circuit linked to the pannier catches or something) perhaps I could just use the microswitch to interrupt the power supply to the alarm - I'm sure that would trigger it.
Any thoughts?

Yes, assuming you have central locking  - definitely buy the Wunderlich electronic locking device from Nippy Norman that prevents the button being depressed in the first place. You don't want the alarm going off in a car park full of bikes and the culprit disappearing off somewhere.
I remove the SatNav at night or if leaving the bike for long periods of time. I would not bother if having a quick break at a cafe/motorway services - 'cos that is when it a real pain to have to remove the SatNav and lock it in the left hand cubby.
Last edited by beemerboy9 on Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bentall
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

beemerboy9 wrote:
Yes, assuming you have central locking  - definitely buy the Wunderlich electronic locking device from Nippy Norman that prevents the button being depressed in the first place. You don't want the alarm going off in a car park full of bikes and the culprit disappearing off somewhere.
I remove the SatNav at night or if leaving the bike for long periods of time. I would not bother if having a quick break at a cafe/motorway services - 'cos that is when it a real pain to have to remove the SatNav and lock it in the left hand cubby.

+1  :kacsint2:
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

gadgetgaz wrote: ..... If there was a 140dB siren going off they would not persist!.....

When my alarm triggers, even in the confines of the garage, it doesn't strike ma as being 140dB (which would be extremely loud !), so I would suggest that you test the alarm when you get the bike and see if you still think it's worth rigging something to protect your satnav.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Little-Brit

Post by Little-Brit »

I have zero faith in any form of alarm.  Instead I've gone down The Old Timers route. https://www.oldtimers.si/en/navi-central-lock-ready-for-bmw-r1200rt-lc-2014.html 

They are a Slovenian company that produces a superb bit of kit that properly locks the sat-nav release button when the central locking is activated.  There are no visible bits and bobs showing to detract from the bikes clean lines but you just can't release the sat-nav until the bike is unlocked .  That's a good enough deterrent for me for fuel stops and short lunch breaks.  For parking up overnight it's still sat-nav off and come with me to house/hotel.

I should have put this in the Another san-nav lock thread, doh! 
Last edited by Little-Brit on Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

As I said in a previous thread, the Old Timers solution is very good and they supply major car and motorcycle manufacturers as part of their business. There is a very good reason the new Wunderlich sat nav lock looks exactly the same as the Old Timers one. Wunderlich do not manufacture their own kit, they buy from suppliers and rebrand.
gadgetgaz
Great Britain

Post by gadgetgaz »

I'm going to be doing a diy version of the oldtimers mod anyway and that should prevent the opportunist thief who happened to know where the release button was. To explain, I was thinking of adding an audible alarm in addition to the locking mechanism because, from what I've read, a determined thief could still prise out the sat nav anyway given enough time. The audible alarm should make them think they haven't got time and force them to clear off. I would always remove the nav anyway if I was leaving the bike for a significant period, i.e longer than re-fuelling or having lunch.
So can anyone help with my initial questions about whether the alarm on the LC is the same model as the earlier RTs and whether it has an accessory loop please?
Last edited by gadgetgaz on Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peltilelu
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2020
Finland

Post by peltilelu »

gadgetgaz wrote: I think you're probably right but I was extrapolating the argument that even if I fit a mechanical lock to the satnav (either the key operated type or connected to the central locking) then somebody determined enough could still prise it off with a big lever. If there was a 140dB siren going off they would not persist!
Plus, it's a function that BMW really ought to have included - a lock for the GPS and a simple circuit to link it to the bike's alarm system.

+1
That would be great to have bike's alarm triggered if someone would try to mess with locked GPS. I would also appreciate to hear advises how that could be done!
I have already Oldtimer's Sat Nav Lock waiting for installation.
gadgetgaz
Great Britain

Post by gadgetgaz »

After having finished my DIY central locking mod I have decided that my idea of setting off the bike's alarm if somebody tampered with the GPS release button is not necessary.
I went for the option where a central locking actuator pushes a small rod into the gap at the top of the cradle rather than stopping the button from being pushed in. When the central locking is activated the button will not move even a millimetre so there is no way that a microswitch can be activated.
I had previously tested the method of disconnecting the power to the alarm unit to trigger an alarm and that does work so it can be used if anyone else wants a way to trigger the alarm. The dash alarm LED flashes 4 times after a power interruption.
Last edited by gadgetgaz on Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.