Coronavirus

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Coronavirus

Post by David. »

If I did venture out with others, I'd probably take my brew kit & a picnic. That would take care of the T, might have to P in the hedge back.

If everyone was in agreeance and did the same whilst keeping a safe distance when stopped, it might be practical to go out in a group.
Last edited by David. on Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Walked into town to get a couple of days shopping and came across this sign in a pub window. So if you want some free beer get yourself down to Bicester.

Unfortunately I don't drink beer but when they start giving the wine away.
Attachments
IMG_20200322_141250509.jpg
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Is it dear to hire a tanker truck.  :) )
Last edited by Beagle on Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Social distance!
[attachimg=1]
Attachments
20200322_134352.jpg
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

I don't wear a mask, but as I took off my helmet before going food shopping I realized that I should just flip down my modular helmet's face plate.  I doesn't do much to protect me, but might prevent me from infecting someone else.  I also did not take off my riding gloves.  Most people and news coverage are concerned about protecting yourself, not others.  To that end, I've taken to washing my hands before, as well as after, going out.  Another couple of tips:  when you have to grab a store's door handle,  grab it where most folks don't - on a horizontal bar towards the part away from the opening, on a vertical one at the very bottom, always with one finger. I also use my elbow to push a door open or hold it for someone else.  Also, use your cards to pay;  the poor retail folks have to contend with bills and coins that have passed thru so many hands, and they are exposed at a level on a par with medical folks.  Even if they're wearing gloves, they may still touch their faces with infected gloves, and may pass something else along with your change.  It's got to the point where, when watching TV I see someone shaking hands or hanging out in a crowd, etc. I'm thinking "What are you thinking??"  What with everybody here staying at home, I'm thinking an even bigger plague awais:  cabin fever and stir craziness.  Good luck, all.
pkpilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by pkpilot »

jackronner wrote: I don't wear a mask, but as I took off my helmet before going food shopping I realized that I should just flip down my modular helmet's face plate.  I doesn't do much to protect me, but might prevent me from infecting someone else.
Many businesses might view the helmet as an indicator of a robbery about to occur.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

PkPilot,  I've. been saying for weeks that this is a prime time for bank robbers, when a mask going in or out wouldn't raise suspicions.
scunny12
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT LE 2015
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 31 times
Great Britain

Post by scunny12 »

Today I went out for my first ride of the year. Yeah I know, fair weather rider, blah ,blah blah, but even for a Sunday the roads were very quiet. Filled up and paid at the Sainsbury kiosk wearing my full faced Arai and silk under helmet over nose and mouth. Usually a sign on the door asking motorcyclists to remove helmets before entering ( I never remove and will quote victimisation and Muslim headgear if ever challenged) but this seems to have been removed in last couple of days. I forgot how cold 7C is on a bike, even with a big fairing in front, must be my old bones!
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Looks like I was the only one of the NM's not to go out yesterday.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

No more joy riding eh?

From this evening people must stay at home except for shopping for basic necessities, daily exercise, any medical need and travelling to and from essential work.[/font][/size]

Have to be careful when wife and me are out walking, dont want hand holding police after us.  :))
Last edited by Beagle on Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

It's becoming more & more difficult to put a positive slant on things. What impact are the latest strict new measures having on you & your life.

I suppose I'm fortunate to be retired, don't need to go out unnecessarily, therefore, although depressing, not a lot of change for me.
I have family members for whom the current situation is less clear and of more concern.

With respect to motorcycling, it's now not an option for me until the situation changes. Unless things improve in the near future, my RT's MOT will expire, it's currently SORN'ed.
Looks most likely I'll be cancelling the BMW Motorrad Insured Warranty before the next payment is due on 25th April.

I can only hope things will improve sooner rather than later and I'll be able to get out at some time this year.
Last edited by David. on Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

You are allowed to go to the shop for essentials. There ‘s nothing to stop you going on your bike that I can see.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

David I didn't go out either yesterday. I am planning on sticking to the rules and will not be going out on the bike. My view is if we all stick to the rules and beat this virus then we can all get back to normal life sooner rather than latter. Social distancing does work FACT ! Stop the spread stop the virus. Simples. I'm keeping positive after all I am only being asked to stay at home not go to war ! Keep safe.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Yes, I could go to the shops on my motorcycle but it's not something I would normally choose to do.
I consider solo motorcycling for pleasure to be an unnecessary journey which may bring me in to social contact with others, therefore, won't be doing it.

We have shops all within walking distance of home, therefore, can combine exercise with shopping.

On the MOT front, I was considering taking the bike in the middle of April.
The idea being that once the restrictions are lifted, I'll be ready to rock and not scratching around for an MOT.

From the BBC News website, "Can I still take my car for an MOT? Garages are allowed to remain open under the new restrictions. MOTs for lorries, buses and trailers have already been suspended for up to three months. MOTs for cars, motorcycles and light vans are under review."

Might hang fire and possibly get 3 months free MOT.
Last edited by David. on Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

GS is booked in for an MOT on Saturday morning, I don't think I'll tax it till things have blown over though?.. I commute on the V-strom every day, so I'm not getting any withdrawals from riding  :)
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)