Coronavirus

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Re: Coronavirus

Post by simbo »

BoB21 wrote: All to true money matters. Life is a shit sandwich the more bread you have the less shit you eat.

Good one! 😂 👍
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-52424709

Now how about this for an idea, a "social bubble", meaning you'd be able to see a select few friends. Allowing residents to gather with 10 other people of their choice every weekend.

Sounds great for the RT meet in July where 10 people are all booked in to the same hotel. Slight problem, once chosen, each person would be banned from meeting with anyone outside of their preferred 10.

The government are on our side, when making their decisions, scientists and policymakers look to a key metric known as the effective reproduction rate (Rt).

Perfect for RTman10.
Last edited by David. on Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

PM Boris Johnson is to reveal a "roadmap" out of lockdown on Sunday.

I wonder if it'll include any ride out routes.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I take it that we can ride to other destinations on our bikes whilst maintaining 2m distancing rules from Wednesday.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Beagle wrote: I take it that we can ride to other destinations on our bikes whilst maintaining 2m distancing rules from Wednesday.

Yep 👍 just don't take the piss and you should be OK...And just for a heads up, slow down at green lights and look left n right to make sure nothings coming? Trust me, its good practise 👍
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Beagle wrote: I take it that we can ride to other destinations on our bikes whilst maintaining 2m distancing rules from Wednesday.
👍 That's what I make of it too.
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

"People in England can "meet up with other people" outside their household as long as they are outside and stay 2m apart, the government has confirmed."

NM meets are back on!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52612449

Can you meet friends and relatives?

"The new guidelines are expected to say that two people from different households would be able to meet in outdoor settings like parks as long as they stay more than two metres apart."

What about pubs, cafes, restaurants, theatres and cinemas?

"Mr Johnson says the government "hopes" to reopen "at least some of the hospitality industry and other public places" in England but this will happen later than for shops and schools - by July at the earliest".

Just in time for the RT meet on 10th July, nice one Boris!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52530518
Last edited by David. on Mon May 11, 2020 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Found this posted on FB by an NHS worker, here is your get out of jail card.

Motorcycle is a form of exercise healthier, stronger knees and thighs. Orthopedic surgeons have noted that motorcycle riders have fewer knee problems because riding a bike strengthens key muscles used to hold the patella and other bones in the knee in place. Improved core strength. All of the activities involved in steering a bike, moving it at slow speeds, etc., serve to strengthen muscles in the abdomen. Increased insulin sensitivity. Motorcycle riding is a low-impact exercise, so riders have improved insulin sensitivity for up to eight hours after a ride, which in turn promotes weight loss. Increased calorie burning. Yep, as a constant resistance exercise, riding a motorcycle burns calories. Reilly says riders can count on burning 600 calories per hour compared to the 200 to 300 the rest of us do. Improved neck strength. If you wear a helmet and your bike has the correct handlebars, seat and foot pegs, riding can be as beneficial as a chiropractor visit. Reilly found that strengthening her own neck muscles in this way served to pull her neck vertebrae back into alignment and back into the proper curvature. The key is to get the adjustment correct; riding with a poor fit can cause back pain. Better mental outlook. Riding a motorcycle releases the almighty endorphins that serve to boost mood and improve outlook. Time in the sun also ups your Vitamin D exposure, which is a mood enhancer.
Last edited by David. on Mon May 11, 2020 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
tojjer
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

We have a 9 day tour of Wales and Scotland booked and paid for. Holding out till the last minute to see if a miracle happens. We have hostels booked, 6 in one room in one of them. Can't see that room being able to happen as I think social distancing will be in for many many months to come
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Was due to go to Scotland next week & over the BH weekend. The hotel is remaining closed & has cancelled all bookings.
tojjer
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

David. wrote: Found this posted on FB by an NHS worker, here is your get out of jail card.

Motorcycle is a form of exercise healthier, stronger knees and thighs. Orthopedic surgeons have noted that motorcycle riders have fewer knee problems because riding a bike strengthens key muscles used to hold the patella and other bones in the knee in place. Improved core strength. All of the activities involved in steering a bike, moving it at slow speeds, etc., serve to strengthen muscles in the abdomen. Increased insulin sensitivity. Motorcycle riding is a low-impact exercise, so riders have improved insulin sensitivity for up to eight hours after a ride, which in turn promotes weight loss. Increased calorie burning. Yep, as a constant resistance exercise, riding a motorcycle burns calories. Reilly says riders can count on burning 600 calories per hour compared to the 200 to 300 the rest of us do. Improved neck strength. If you wear a helmet and your bike has the correct handlebars, seat and foot pegs, riding can be as beneficial as a chiropractor visit. Reilly found that strengthening her own neck muscles in this way served to pull her neck vertebrae back into alignment and back into the proper curvature. The key is to get the adjustment correct; riding with a poor fit can cause back pain.Better mental outlook. Riding a motorcycle releases the almighty endorphins that serve to boost mood and improve outlook. Time in the sun also ups your Vitamin D exposure, which is a mood enhancer.

:alas:  Pass me the bullshit repellant please!
As an NHS worker myself, more importantly a middle aged overweight balding man with two shoulder operations and two knee operations to his name, all whilst having years of motorcycling under his belt, I'll take all that as a belated April fool!
Last edited by tojjer on Mon May 11, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Boris has now "Tweeted",

"Stay Alert" really still means "Stay at Home" as much as possible.

Therefore, nothing has changed for social motorcycling, it's not essential.

Lockdown fines have been raised from £60 to £100, it doesn't make sense to me.
Last edited by David. on Mon May 11, 2020 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

David. wrote: Found this posted on FB by an NHS worker, here is your get out of jail card.
Time in the sun also ups your Vitamin D exposure, which is a mood enhancer.

How much Vitamin D can you possibly get whilst wearing a motorcycle suit, gloves and a crash helmet?

Probably more if you sit in the garden for 10 minutes just wearing your budgie smugglers.
Last edited by MikeS on Mon May 11, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Now allowed to,

“Drive to open spaces irrespective of distance”. ( Within England)

That means get the bike out as far as I’m concerned.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Will people be able to exercise more?

"From Wednesday, people in England will be able to spend more time outdoors "for leisure purposes", including sun bathing".

"It will also be possible for households to drive to other destinations (such as parks and beaches) in England".

However, Boris has just said, "stay at home if you possibly can".
Last edited by David. on Mon May 11, 2020 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.