Coronavirus

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Re: Coronavirus

Post by hammo »

Wow one thing the government are good at is causing mass hysteria , then all the so called "experts" chip in , from reading these scientific analysis,s it obvious that it is all supposition, every one of them gave a different opinion , so i will give you mine this appears to be a super flu bug , if you have symptoms go to bed keep warm and drink plenty of fluids and paracetamol (just like your granny told you when you were kids ) do not go crazy and fight over a tin of beans and a toilet roll like all these other idiots in the shops , i,m off out on the RTLE.   
mondeoman
Wales

Post by mondeoman »

hammo wrote: Wow one thing the government are good at is causing mass hysteria , then all the so called "experts" chip in , from reading these scientific analysis,s it obvious that it is all supposition, every one of them gave a different opinion , so i will give you mine this appears to be a super flu bug , if you have symptoms go to bed keep warm and drink plenty of fluids and paracetamol (just like your granny told you when you were kids ) do not go crazy and fight over a tin of beans and a toilet roll like all these other idiots in the shops , i,m off out on the RTLE. 
[/quo

Well said.
Mondeoman
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I agree with the comments with respect to shopping. Under normal circumstances, if everyone just purchased what they would usually do, the shelves wouldn't be empty of certain items.

What's the logic here of stock pilling, is it fear of the future supply of products or the possibility of having to self-isolate and not be able to get out to the shops.

We live in a cul-de-sac of 10 houses, like a little community where folks look out for & help each other. Although not in the vulnerable group ourselves, we've had an offer of help from someone who goes out daily to walk a dog. Likewise, I've offered to help an elderly gentleman in his 90's who lives on his own.

Surely this has got to be a sensible approach.

A friend, who's wife is currently being treated for cancer is intending to go out on his bike at the weekend to several cafes. His wife is not keen on the idea, what if he goes out, becomes infected & passes it on to her when he gets home.
Last edited by David. on Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

hammo wrote: Wow one thing the government are good at is causing mass hysteria , then all the so called "experts" chip in , from reading these scientific analysis,s it obvious that it is all supposition, every one of them gave a different opinion , so i will give you mine this appears to be a super flu bug , if you have symptoms go to bed keep warm and drink plenty of fluids and paracetamol (just like your granny told you when you were kids ) do not go crazy and fight over a tin of beans and a toilet roll like all these other idiots in the shops , i,m off out on the RTLE. 

I'm fairly confident that your referring to me and so I'd like to offer my apologies for any offence or undue alarm I may have caused  anyone. Wasn't my intention and I'm certainly not pretending to be any sort of expert..

Mike
Last edited by MikeS on Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

MikeS wrote:
I'm fairly confident that your referring to me and so I'd like to offer my apologies for any offence or undue alarm I may have caused  any one.. Wasn't my intention and I'm certainly not pretending to be any sort of expert..

Mike

He is probably having a pop at me as well. I'm not an expert also, I am just living with a wife who is very senior in the NHS and is on the front line, so hearing her stories about how things are going in her hospital is rather alarming. But as I have stated before, I really hope it is only like mild flu and everything gets back to normal soonest. The earth is flat you know and we never went to the moon :)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Yorkshire BS are now reducing their opening hours at some branches due to staff shortages.
michaelc2710
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

I'm sure most high street retailers and banks will if not already be reducing hours, staff levels etc.

I employ 31 staff over 3 UK locations and everyday different challenges arise relating to the virus and the economic uncertainty.
That's 31 team members, 31 families and in some case's there only 1 source of household income, I'm working hard to sustain until this period ends.

Now that may not sound alot in the grand scheme of things but it's a headache I could do without (PLEASE don't take this the wrong way people)  instead of posting negatives every time something is cancelled, posting that shops and banks are reducing their hours,  etc post about the positives.

There are communities pulling together and helping each other, NHS staff being provided free drinks and 50% off food by Pret A Manger (which without my staff keeping the Tail Lifts operational the deliveries wouldn't happen) Neighbours are helping each other and looking after the older generation.
Think about the supermarket staff that take abuse from stupid panic buying public everyday because nothing left or because they can only have 3 tins of beans.....

That's my rant and stress relief over for another hour.  :whistle:

I wish you all and your families the very best during this challenging time and keep positive.

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

michaelc2710 wrote: I'm sure most high street retailers and banks will if not already be reducing hours, staff levels etc.

I employ 31 staff over 3 UK locations and everyday different challenges arise relating to the virus and the economic uncertainty.
That's 31 team members, 31 families and in some case's there only 1 source of household income, I'm working hard to sustain until this period ends.

Now that may not sound alot in the grand scheme of things but it's a headache I could do without (PLEASE don't take this the wrong way people)  instead of posting negatives every time something is cancelled, posting that shops and banks are reducing their hours,  etc post about the positives.

There are communities pulling together and helping each other, NHS staff being provided free drinks and 50% off food by Pret A Manger (which without my staff keeping the Tail Lifts operational the deliveries wouldn't happen) Neighbours are helping each other and looking after the older generation.
Think about the supermarket staff that take abuse from stupid panic buying public everyday because nothing left or because they can only have 3 tins of beans.....

That's my rant and stress relief over for another hour.  :whistle:

I wish you all and your families the very best during this challenging time and keep positive.

The same to you, I wish you all the best and thanks for carrying on. Well said and a perfectly valid rant :)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David. wrote:How are you dealing with the current situation.

Hope all is well with you, your families & friends.
Please see my comments above from the first post within this thread, they are still valid and meant with good intention.

I feel that the best thing I can do to help the current situation is to follow the UK Government guidelines and avoid unnecessary social contact. My thoughts are, if I can help to reduce the spread of this virus, I may be doing someone else a favour. Weather permitting, I'd love to go out on my bike on Sunday but have chosen not to. We would have been visiting three cafes, it is Mothering Sunday and they are likely to be busy.

I know someone who is a Police Interceptor, I've thanked him for what he and his colleagues do to help keep us all safe.

The idea of this thread was to try and get a real handle of what is happening and where around the UK. Plus, it's a form of social contact in itself without going out.

I respect those of you who are essential workers, thank you for what you are doing to keep us healthy with food on our table. I hope my actions will help to allow you and your families to continue doing this for as long as possible.
Last edited by David. on Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davef1uk

Post by davef1uk »

We need to stay positive as is mentioned.. and stop estimating or assuming or quoting a statistic from here or there... THE SUPERMARKETS shelves  are bloody empty... Thanks to social media, tv media, panicking people... now we have stores half if not less than half stocked, and poor older people can't even get their basic shop in..

so can i say to all those who do panic buy, DONT, think three times, look around, and PLEASE think of everyone....i am sure you wouldn't like to go to the store and nothing in...  utterly selfish..

Stressing enough with our jobs, managing our day to day lives, without this over reaction... stupid people!!
Motorbiking is a life, not a hobby.  Ride with Pride.  😜
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Have made some positive decisions.

Yesterday, with supermarkets looking to recruit additional staff, (via email) helped a 16 year old lad (now not at school) create a CV etc. to apply for work.

Also, made email & telephone contact with a 70 year old guy who is "self isolating" for 12 weeks and discussed some motorcycle related issues with him.

As much as would have liked to, have decided not to go out on my bike today, "social distancing".

My mother-in-law is 85 years old, won't be visiting her on "Mothering Sunday", just dropping some provisions off on the doorstep without making contact.

I hope my positive actions will help to keep her, NHS staff & others to stay safe at the present time.

Social contact via this forum is very important to me, please be kind to each other, thank you.
Last edited by David. on Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
smileymiley
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

From our American cousins...
[attachimg=1]
Attachments
963060062_RideMotorcycles-Edited(1).jpg.c4ceb90bfdc3aaa10e3e0f6b6876d318.jpg
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Riding solo and taking the precautions of paying for fuel at the pump whilst wearing gloves is probably fine.

My intention had been to go out with a group, not such a good idea, especially at the P&T stops.
smileymiley
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

David. wrote: Riding solo and taking the precautions of paying for fuel at the pump whilst wearing gloves is probably fine.

My intention had been to go out with a group, not such a good idea, especially at the P&T stops.
Yes it's really the P & T stops that are the trouble now. Having said that my better half & I are just getting kitted up to isolate together on a ride out around some of Leicestershire & Rutland finest biking roads. Especially as when I filled the bike up this morning at Costco petrol is 99.9 p / litre!!