General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

BMW Premium Selection - Used Bike

Post by David. »

For a BMW used bike to be sold through a Motorrad dealer under the "Premium Selection" with a 2 year warranty, it needs to have an unbroken BMW service history.

Here is an example of what on paper looks like a lovely bike, 1 owner, 2013, less than 12K miles with full service history, https://approvedused.bmw-motorrad.co.uk ... ?on=416690

An MOT history check, https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/ reveals something quite different.

In 2017, the bike failed an MOT as follows,
Reason(s) for failure
•Rear Brake cylinder insecurely mounted (3.2.B1a) Dangerous
•Offside Front Floor brake test indicates a binding brake (3.3.C2c)
•Throttle has a significant change in engine speed whilst moving the steering from lock to lock (2.1.4)
•Roller brake test The less effective brake control does not achieve an efficiency of 25%. (3.3.A2b)

Advisory notice item(s)
•front brake fluid in poor condition, almost jelly like consistency.
•rear tyre has poor stepped wear pattern across the tread
•rear brake not tested as rear master is insecure

If this bike has had a full BMW service history, how on earth can the above MOT failure results be possible.

If buying a used bike privately or through a BMW dealer, it may pay to do an MOT history check and ask to see some documentary evidence of the so called service history.
Last edited by David. on Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: BMW Premium Selection - Used Bike

Post by beemerboy9 »

Wow. That bike also failed in 2016 on an illegal tyre. Do you reckon it might have been dropped on the right-hand side and repaired badly?

However that same dealer has another bike which is £1000 cheaper that has a perfect MOT history.

As David says, it is always a good idea to check the MOT history to see how someone has looked after it. It is remarkable how many owners are happy to take a car away from the MOT garage with easy-to-sort-out still present.
John Bentall
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The 2012 Camhead I purchased from Allan Jefferies was over two years old but less than three. It had had two previous owners and only 3K miles on the clock. AJ's had supplied the bike from new and done all servicing which was up to date. At the time, the bike was supplied with a 1 year BMW Used Bike Warranty. I got paper copies of the 600 miles service & the first annual service a year later. The bike had also had it's second annual service, all done by AJ's. Although no paperwork for the last service, AJ's could look up the bike on their system and tell me what had been done & when. All was good to go.

My understanding is that BMW Motorrad dealers can only look at any service history carried out at their dealership and don't have access to others.
However, I believe that BMW HQ & Insured Warranty can access all the bike's service history for any potential warranty claims etc.
Last edited by David. on Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
tojjer
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

David. wrote: For a BMW used bike to be sold through a Motorrad dealer under the "Premium Selection" with a 2 year warranty, it needs to have an unbroken BMW service history.

Here is an example of what on paper looks like a lovely bike, 1 owner, 2013, less than 12K miles with full service history, https://approvedused.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/UK/21904/detail.cshtml?on=416690

Worrying, I looked at that very bike when I was looking for one. They also had another 2014 model there at the same time that I seriously considered.
Went with Dick Lovetts in Bristol in the end and bought a 2016 LE with impeccable history. Like you, I always check an mot history as far back as possible to see "the truth" behind it.
Quick plug, couldn't fault Lovetts at all. Very honest and above board with the whole thing.
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

They are asking top price too. 

Whilst that MOT history might cause me to think a little before buying the bike (and negotiate harder), remember that the bike is being supplied by a BMW dealer and I would therefore expect all issues to be sorted before it hits the showroom floor.  And OK, the bike may not have been fastidiously maintained in the past but it has a two-year warranty.  Any residual issues will show up within the warranty period and should be dealt with and it's not easy to kill an RT in 12,000 miles.       
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David. wrote:For a BMW used bike to be sold through a Motorrad dealer under the "Premium Selection" with a 2 year warranty, it needs to have an unbroken BMW service history.
The BMW dealer is offering a used bike for sale which they claim has had an "unbroken" BMW service history!
David. wrote:If this bike has had a full BMW service history, how on earth can the above MOT failure results be possible.
Last edited by David. on Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

David. wrote: The BMW dealer is offering a used bike for sale which they claim has had an "unbroken" BMW service history!

David, you have reinforced everything I believe to be true about the FSH (full service history) claims we see when buying or selling a vehicle. It means absolutely nothing. In fact, worse, it means less than nothing. It can suck people in to make a bad purchase.

I am a great believer on buying the machine based on chatting with the current owner, asking them questions and then seeing if that seems to match a visual inspection of the bike. Does the bike run, ride and behave as you would expect and be happy with. Does it cosmetically look up to your standards vs the price. Are there any other clues that the owner may be fastidious (or not).
There is of course the fact that a dealer may offer you a significant warranty period (if you believe they will stand by that).

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

My 8 year old 2012 Camhead has a BMW dealer stamp in the Rider's Manual (Service record section at the back) every year or 6,000 miles, whichever came first. On the face of it, it's got a FBMWSH. My bike is serviced as per the manufacturer's recommendations. Some DIY, some independent & some at a BMW Dealer. The latter being the minimum required to get that stamp in the book at least cost to myself. I can back up all DIY & independent work with receipts for oils, filters, seals & other parts etc.

If my bike was for sale at a BMW dealer, it would certainly qualify as having an unbroken service history.

A private buyer would have access to a ring binder full of paperwork to support the service history.

Don't forget, if purchasing privately, a BMW Motorrad Insured Warranty can be purchased on a yearly/monthly basis.
Last edited by David. on Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.