What do you use to keep your chrome exhaust shiny?

Got any tips and tricks for BMW R1200RT/R1250RT owners? feel free to share them here.
RT Slim

Re: What do you use to keep your chrome exhaust shiny?

Post by RT Slim »

David. wrote: Do Akrapovic offer exhaust headers for a Wethead or is it just a silencer.

Not sure if Akra offers headers for the RT. I purchased slip-on thru my BMW dealer at time of purchase. On full song it makes cool WWII twin engine bomber noises.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

As standard, a Camhead would normally have chrome headers. BMW do offer a Stainless Steel option at a cost of £834.38 inc. two gaskets.

Obviously some of the cost is that of the catalytic converter which is part of the headers.

Needless to say, I won't be getting one. Plus, they would still need some attention to keep the appearance shiny.
Last edited by David. on Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

RT Slim wrote:Not sure if Akra offers headers for the RT.
Can't find any Akrapovic headers, Black Widow offer some s/s ones at a very competitive price of £289.99,
https://www.blackwidowexhausts.co.uk/bm ... 3792-p.asp

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Last edited by David. on Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

David. wrote: Can't find any Akrapovic headers, Black Widow offer some s/s ones at a very competitive price of £289.99,
https://www.blackwidowexhausts.co.uk/bmw-r1200rt-watercooled-de-cat-downpipes-collector-2013-2018-23792-p.asp
Tempted by these, lambda sensors are catered for,but what about the exhaust flap thingy - would it need a servo buddy, anyone know?

ImageRe: What do you use to keep your chrome exhaust shiny?
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

"Tempted by these, lambda sensors are catered for, but what about the exhaust flap thingy - would it need a servo buddy, anyone know?"

On a Camhead, if the servo motor is electrically disconnected, fault codes are generated. This particular fault code is stored in the "shadow memory" (background) of the ECU. The EFCV movement or not as the case may be, is not deemed critical to the engine running. Because of this, a dashboard warning is not generated, nor does the engine go into emergency operation mode.

Looking at this video, it shows an R nine T (same engine as Camhead RT) which has had the EFCV removed. The cables were disconnected & removed too. The servomotor was re-instated and "No check light pop up after remove the flipper".

This thread contains further info. about the EFCV on a Camhead, viewtopic.php?t=7

Not sure if the same would apply to a Wethead RT. How about electrically disconnecting the servo motor to see what happens.
Having said that, folks with Wetheads have had the headers changed due to seized EFCV's without knowing or a dashboard warning being shown.

I think if I was to remove the EFCV, then I would probably fit a servo buddy for completeness.
Last edited by David. on Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

Ta. I fiited a decat pipe to a '10 multistrada, that needed a servo buddy (or similar).
Wonder what loosing the flap would do for performance?
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Old-Git wrote:Wonder what loosing the flap would do for performance?
Last year (2019),  I had the ECU on my Camhead re-mapped by Hilltop Motorcycles. At the time, the EFCV was sticking slightly. We discussed removing it, their advice was to retain the EFCV, as it helps with "back pressure". Likewise, Hilltop made similar comments when I was thinking about removing the catalytic converter. Their words were, "removing the cat. you may notice a slight decrease in the mid range torque of the bike, but you may on the other hand notice that the top end power of the bike has gone up a little".

I'd rather retain torque than potentially gain any more power. IMO, the Wethead is more free revving than the Camhead. Perhaps the impact of removing the EFCV & cat. on a Wethead might not be as noticeable.

The next question might be, "does it need re-mapping".
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

David. wrote: Last year (2019), I had the ECU on my Camhead re-mapped by Hilltop Motorcycles. At the time, the EFCV was sticking slightly. We discussed removing it, their advice was to retain the EFCV, as it helps with "back pressure". Likewise, Hilltop made similar comments when I was thinking about removing the catalytic converter. Their words were, "removing the cat. you may notice a slight decrease in the mid range torque of the bike, but you may on the other hand notice that the top end power of the bike has gone up a little".

There's a lot of reports on various forums about the Hilltop wizardry being fake, Have you seen it? What's your opinion on the invisible remap that doesn't change the original map?..
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

My experience with Hilltop has been positive. The first thing I noticed was that there is no lag in the throttle response. The best way I can describe it is as if there is mechanically no free play in the throttle cables. The bike pulls crisply from low engine speeds and can probably run a higher gear for the same road speed. Whilst blipping the throttle between downshift gear changes, the fluffiness has gone, I don't feel it is about to cut out. No popping or banging/misfiring on the over run. Fuel consumption is looking better, with a range of around 330 miles, plus returning 58.1 mpg after first fill up. When starting for the first time after being stood for 5 months, it was instant. I do feel that the exhaust header discolouration has slowed, demonstrating that the AFR has changed and the engine is running cooler. I wasn't looking for any power gains, just to have a bike which was nicer to ride and it is.

Once the bike is re-mapped, Hilltop said go for a test ride and if you don't like the results, we'll remove the mapping and don't pay us anything. If not satisfied, they offer a period of 21 days where by you can take the bike back, have the mapping removed and get your money back.

Whilst considering making changes to the exhaust headers & EFCV, I consulted Hilltop. They were always there to offer advice & even said they would check the bike for me FOC.
Last edited by David. on Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

simbo wrote:There's a lot of reports on various forums about the Hilltop wizardry being fake, have you seen it?
No, please can you provide some links to the various forums, thank you.
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

David. wrote: No, please can you provide some links to the various forums, thank you.

Just Google "Tree top tuning".. There's loads of avenues to go down once you get into it, even videos on YouTube.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Casbar wrote:There is another company called Tree Top tuning who are at war with Hilltop and claiming that Hilltop for the LC is all smoke and mirrors.
MEM62 wrote:I am also going to run the bike up to Hilltop Motorcycle for a remap. These engines do run lean and the feedback on the difference the remap makes is very positive.
Pope wrote:Had my RTLC Remapped by Hilltop MC in Leicestershire yesterday….and…..I’m very pleased with the result.
simbo wrote:A friend of mine had his F800 remapped at hilltop, he said it made a big difference in smoothing throttle response and better fuelling overall. They also offer a discount on block bookings on the V-Strom forum where again they get good reviews.
RTs4me wrote:I had my twin-cam RT remapped at Hilltop. It made a very good improvement, over the entire rev range. After remapping - what a different bike!
milleplod wrote:I had my 1200ST Hilltopped, it was the best £300 I've ever spent on a bike, end of. Low speed running and pick-up in higher gears were vastly improved.....and that's definitely not an exaggeration.
Northern Soul wrote:Get the ecu remapped - try Geoff at Hilltop motors. Done a fantastic job with mine. As well as smoothing out the dyno curves there's now more bhp and torque. Great results and well worth the money.
Casbar wrote:I have only read good reports from owners that have had a remap by Hilltop.
fatnfast wrote:Hilltop Motorcycles seem to be the place of choice in the UK.
David. wrote:ECU re-mapped by Hilltop Motorcycles. A greater pleasure to ride, the bike is transformed. Geoff & Rob at Hilltop are spot on, I'd have no hesitation in recommending their services.
9 out of 10 cats prefer Hilltop.
Last edited by David. on Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

simbo wrote:
Just Google "Tree top tuning".. There's loads of avenues to go down once you get into it, even videos on YouTube.

OK then spend your day looking for positive quotes.
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

[size=2px]https://f800riders.org/forum/showthread ... ics/313033[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
May help but cant find any reference in to keeping your exhaust shiny....Happy Easter