What do you use to keep your chrome exhaust shiny?

Got any tips and tricks for BMW R1200RT/R1250RT owners? feel free to share them here.
gadgetgaz
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

What do you use to keep your chrome exhaust shiny?

Post by gadgetgaz »

I just got a 2014 RT LE with a chrome exhaust system but it needs cleaning and shining. I tried Autosol on a small section but the elbow grease expended was hardly worth the small improvement I saw. Any tips please?
Last edited by gadgetgaz on Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
2023 R1205RT LE Sport Blue. Retired motorcycle cop now IT consultant and RoSPA RoADAR examiner.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: What do you use to keep a chrome exhaust shiny?

Post by David. »

Applying Autosol using some pressure with an old toothbrush, then buffing up with a microfibre cloth can produce reasonable results.

On my 2012 Camhead which has a chrome exhaust system, it can look like these photos (not mine).

Unfortunately, as soon as the bike is fired up, the header pipes can visibly be seen to start discolouring again. It's a losing battle & repeated attempts may end up with the chrome plating being compromised. After 8 years, I think I'm probably at the point where I may have gone too far and gone through the chrome. I'm seriously considering what Simbo has had done in getting the header pipes ceramic coated with Cermakrome. Haven't seen the results in the flesh but here are some photos. Apparently, they no longer discolour and are easy to maintain.

The Cermakrome finish looks acceptable when back on the bike, similar to that of the valve covers etc.

Once the panels are back on, less of the system is visible and looks good against the lower silver panels.

Last edited by David. on Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
gadgetgaz
Great Britain

Post by gadgetgaz »

Well I'd be delighted if I can get them to come up like that but there are ingrained marks that need some serious effort rather than just removing tarnish. I could do with something more abrasive than autosol.
2023 R1205RT LE Sport Blue. Retired motorcycle cop now IT consultant and RoSPA RoADAR examiner.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Another product I've used is Blue Job, https://blue-job.com/

As can be seen in the video, tackling a very small area at a time with a lot of effort & pressure works.

It's hard work but soul destroying when the brown/blue just returns again, hence considering Cermakrome.

The other solution is double skinned chrome header pipes like in the good old days.

Last edited by David. on Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Don't know if mine are chrome or stainless. Look like chrome. Thing is it looks nice now but how long does it last. Thought I might get some of the stuff from NN’s.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

On my bike a lot of the stubborn dirt seems to be tar or oil based. I use Autoglym Tar Remover to shift them.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: What do you use to keep your chrome exhaust shiny?

Post by Casbar »

On my 2014 I didn't bother. You just wait for the exhaust flap to seize and then get new headers from BMW. I had two sets up until I traded it last year. Going to follow the same cleaning process for my 1250 :)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

In the UK, is the following correct with respect to the BMW Warranty.

1) A new bike comes with a 2 year warranty and the exhaust system is covered.

2) A BMW Approved Used bike as per the 2014 model in question comes with a 2 year warranty, is the exhaust system covered?

3) Once beyond either of these 2 year options, a BMW Insured Warranty is offered, the exhaust system is not covered.

With the latter situation, the exhaust flow control on my 2012 Camhead was checked at a BMW dealer, it and the exhaust system was not covered.
BMW Insured warranty confirmed this to be the case too.
Last edited by David. on Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

David. wrote: In the UK, is the following correct with respect to the BMW Warranty.

1) A new bike comes with a 2 year warranty and the exhaust system is covered.

2) A BMW Approved Used bike as per the 2014 model in question comes with a 2 year warranty, is the exhaust system covered?

3) Once beyond either of these 2 year options, a BMW Insured Warranty is offered, the exhaust system is not covered.

With the latter situation, the exhaust flow control on my 2012 Camhead was checked at a BMW dealer, it and the exhaust system was not covered.
BMW Insured warranty confirmed this to be the case too.

A new bike in the UK comes with a 3 year warranty and the flap is covered. When I bought my 2014 it had 4 months warranty left, headers changed just out of warranty, but I had to pay a £75 contribution towards the £1200 cost. Because I paid a contribution I got another 2 years warranty on the headers, the flap started squeaking again 3 weeks before the end of the 2 years, so they changed the headers again. But it was free, so that would have been that. As it happens I traded the bike 2 months later. Just to add the BMW extended warranty (insured) does not cover the exhaust as far as I know, I did check when it happened the first time, but BMW were pretty good about it as the manufacturers warranty had only just run out
Last edited by Casbar on Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Casbar wrote: On my 2014 I didn't bother. You just wait for the exhaust flap to seize and then get new headers from BMW. I had two sets up until I traded it last year. Going to follow the same cleaning process for my 1250 :)
Yep, set of headers on my '14 & new set on this '17!
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David. wrote:2) A BMW Approved Used bike as per the 2014 model in question comes with a 2 year warranty, is the exhaust system covered?
gadgetgaz
Great Britain

Post by gadgetgaz »

It is an approved used bike and I have a 2 year warranty with it but I have no idea what is covered and what isn't.
Anyway I set about the headers with Autosol and wire wool and it did a reasonable job.
scunny12
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT LE 2015
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 31 times
Great Britain

Post by scunny12 »

I quite like my multi coloured headers. As a retired Metallurgist I've had my fill of polishing metal!
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

scunny12 wrote:I quite like my multi coloured headers. As a retired Metallurgist I've had my fill of polishing metal!

From a metallurgical point of view, please may I ask, are you able to offer an explanation as to why chrome exhaust headers turn blue/brown in the first place, thank you.
scunny12
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT LE 2015
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 31 times
Great Britain

Post by scunny12 »

In a word Heat. Oxidation is occurring from reaction of the metal and exhaust gases. It usually goes from light yellow, through brown and onto blue and is a feature of single wall pipes. Double wall pipes, a la Japanese bikes hide the discolouring very well. My RD 250 Yamaha ran much hotter than the BMWs but it always stayed shiny header pipes. Can't remember chemical reactions that are involved (all my text books are in the loft somewhere gathering dust) but its just another joy of motorcycle ownership.

Nice to see the Chinese are investing in Steelmaking  in your area again David, even though its Electric Arc and not real BOS steel.
Last edited by scunny12 on Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.