Delayed servicing and bike warranty

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
MikeS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Delayed servicing and bike warranty

Post by MikeS »

Had an email from North Oxford Garage yesterday, the service department is closing down from the 27th March (alongside sales) in light of the current health situation.
My March 2019 RT was booked in for its first service on the 1st April and now this is obviously going to be postponed. Was wondering how this could potentially affect the warranty, it will be well past the advised date in the service book when I can get it done. Tried to ring them to discuss it but seems that there's nobody there to answer the phone. Emailed and so will have to wait for a response. Will email Motorrad UK if don't hear anything.
This must be an issue for a few of us and so was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on it.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Delayed servicing and bike warranty

Post by Casbar »

Yep same for me Bike was booked in for Friday for its first service. Spoke to the dealer and they said there would be no issue with the warranty and as long as I contacted them within weeks on them opening again they would do it then. They did say they would put me on a priority list and if they can start servicing again or if I ran into any issues they would try and help.
MikeS
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Casbar wrote: Yep same for me Bike was booked in for Friday for its first service. Spoke to the dealer and they said there would be no issue with the warranty and as long as I contacted them within weeks on them opening again they would do it then. They did say they would put me on a priority list and if they can start servicing again or if I ran into any issues they would try and help.

Thanks, that's reassuring.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Under normal circumstances, the next service due date or mileage can be extended by 1 month or 1,000 miles respectively.

These are not normal circumstances. The key thing is hopefully that you have made an effort by booking the bike in for a service.
If the dealer can't oblige, surely common sense has got to prevail. Meanwhile, the bike may not be being used anyway.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Government to suspend MOT test.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Currently, motorcycle MOT's have not been suspended, https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driv ... oronavirus

"The Department for Transport continues to keep MOT testing for cars, motorcycles and light vans under review. It will provide an update in due course."
Last edited by David. on Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Excellent, thank you. Looks like this extension is from 30th March 2020 and applies to all MOT's after this date, extending them by 6 months.

Will be interesting to see when my MOT expires on 18th May 2020 if it is extended to 18th November 2020, https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

If so, that'll save me £30 this year. Will then get it tested before the end of October 2020 ready for next year.

The Gov.UK site has now been updated, https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... march-2020
Last edited by David. on Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeS
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

David. wrote: Under normal circumstances, the next service due date or mileage can be extended by 1 month or 1,000 miles respectively.

These are not normal circumstances. The key thing is hopefully that you have made an effort by booking the bike in for a service.
If the dealer can't oblige, surely common sense has got to prevail. Meanwhile, the bike may not be being used anyway.

Thanks David

This is the email response from the dealership.

"With regard to your bike service please rest assured that this won’t affect your warranty.

Your bike was booked in within the 12 month period so this is enough to satisfy BMW that you had full intentions of fulfilling the requirements of the BMW service schedule.

Once we have further information regarding our workshop reopening we will be in touch to reschedule your service."
Last edited by MikeS on Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

If it where my bike and I had to use it (essential transport) during the current situation I would do an oil change myself.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

On my first RT, a 2007 Hexhead, I chose to do an oil & filter change every 3,000 miles. After around 10,000 miles and 6 months old, it partially seized on both cylinders. The warranty claim was upheld despite me having done two out of four lubrication services myself. These were also documented within the service book, written in by me between the dealer stamps. This additional service history was positively commented upon by the BMW dealer when the bike was sold. The next owner was rather pleased too. If the bike is being used, with oil & filter changes, you can't wind back the clock and say I wish I'd done it earlier. If the bike isn't being used or started, I've never fully understood how the oil can deteriorate further after 12 months.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

One way oil deteriorates even when the machine is not run is that due to external temperature changes condensation occurs within the engine because the engine cannot respond quickly enough so water can contaminate the oil over a long period. Its the same reason you fill a petrol tank to the brim to exclude air and condensation.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Whilst my bike is tucked away for winter, the air intake & exhaust are sealed off to help prevent condensation entering the engine.

It's always put away with a full tank of fuel, sometimes using a fuel stabiliser too.
Last edited by David. on Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Or you could always just ride all year around :)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

My bike has done 36 miles since last being serviced at the beginning of October 2019. If it doesn't get used this year, it'll be interesting to see whether BMW Insured Warranty insist on it having an annual service in October 2020. The computer says, "the next service is due after 12 months or 6,000 miles which ever comes first."

I suspect the outcome will be that it needs an annual service. Because the T&C's say, "you must keep your motorcycle in an efficient and road worthy condition and regularly service it in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations."

There is potentially going to be a lot of perfectly serviceable oil being unnecessarily re-cycled.