How to improve bluetooth performance by totally replacing it

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
gadgetgaz
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

How to improve bluetooth performance by totally replacing it

Post by gadgetgaz »

This is a mod to replace the bike's built-in bluetooth and open up some of the bike's features that don't currently work with bluetooth connections.

There is a device called a Motochello Speaker Bridge that converts the bike's speaker output into a signal that can be fed into speakers, amplifiers or other audio systems. You can read their own explanation as to why you'd need a converter. The device costs $99 and I do not seek to dissuade anyone from buying their easy to install system. If you don't want to spend that much and fancy more of a DIY project this mod might be for you. I do not accept any responsibility whatsoever for any damage you may cause to your motorcycle.

I already had all the bits I needed that I stripped off my 2005 R1200RT when I sold it. You can do the same for much less than a Motochello.

The benefits of this mod:
a)  you can choose your own bluetooth transmitter to send audio to your helmet using up-to-date bluetooth standards and codecs (or feed directly into earbuds)
b)  you can control the volume using the wizz wheel
c)  you can use the bike's S-VOL: feature to automatically increase volume with speed
d)  you can quickly and easily switch off the speakers without having to go through the menu system (or use speakers at the same time as bluetooth or earbuds)

What you'll need:
1)  a 'speaker level to line level converter' that converts the voltage and impedance of the Alpine unit's speaker outputs so they can be used safely with earbuds or a bluetooth transmitter. Converters like this one and this one should do the job and cost less than a tenner.
2)  a switch to place near the front of the bike to easily switch off the speakers. You'll need a double poll single throw (DPST) type to switch both left and right circuits together. I chose THIS round waterproof one from CPC for £1.50.
3)  a bluetooth transmitter (not a receiver) that will send the audio that is normally output to the speakers to the helmet. Choose one that needs an external power supply so that it will switch off with the bike. This will replace the built-in bluetooth unit so it can be left turned off. I chose THIS ONE from Amazon.
4)  a soldering iron or suitable connectors to wire into the speaker wires; suitable insulation or heat shrink tubing; cable to reach wherever you place the speaker switch.
5)  suitable connectors to go from the line level converter to the bluetooth transmitter (the transmitter may even come with them)

Here is diagram to help:
2023 R1205RT LE Sport Blue. Retired motorcycle cop now IT consultant and RoSPA RoADAR examiner.
bighopper

Re: How to improve bluetooth performance by totally replacing it

Post by bighopper »

I did this very thing to my 2016. I installed the bridge using the front speakers, by disconnecting purchase the BMW plugs with pigtails that then hooked to the inputs to the bridge. I used my SM10 Bluetooth for transmission.I put all this in the left clove-box, along with a USB connection to power the SM10.
gadgetgaz
Great Britain

Post by gadgetgaz »

Good news bighopper. Does it all work as expected? I guess you are saying you used the Motechello unit? I think the speaker switch is on the Motochello but I have put a switch next to the radio buttons on the left side panel so I don't have top open the glove box to turn off the speakers.
2023 R1205RT LE Sport Blue. Retired motorcycle cop now IT consultant and RoSPA RoADAR examiner.
bighopper

Post by bighopper »

gadgetgaz wrote: Good news bighopper. Does it all work as expected? I guess you are saying you used the Motechello unit? I think the speaker switch is on the Motochello but I have put a switch next to the radio buttons on the left side panel so I don't have top open the glove box to turn off the speakers.
Yes I used the Motocello unit. Yes the switch to switch from BlueTooth to Speakers is on the Motocello. But I didn't listen to the speakers, so I used those as the inputs to the Motocello, which is also located the the Left glove box as is the SM10.Yes it works as expected, volume, skip via the wonder wheel. Only trouble I have is the SM10 female 3.5mm jack input is loose and I only get mono sometimes...the SM10 has been well used over the past 5 yrs, tried adjusting the contacts but not muck luck. I'll look at getting something similar to replace it soon.
gadgetgaz
Great Britain

Post by gadgetgaz »

Do you mean the socket is actually damaged or it's just that the plug is loose when plugged in? I've had luck using different cables in the past due to different size tolerances when I've suffered wobbly connectors!
bighopper

Post by bighopper »

gadgetgaz wrote: Do you mean the socket is actually damaged or it's just that the plug is loose when plugged in? I've had luck using different cables in the past due to different size tolerances when I've suffered wobbly connectors!
No it just the tabs inside the female 3.5 connector have gotten wider over the years. i have tried to bend them in but as they are inside a plastic plug can't ge to them to good. I have tried using different cables with the same results.
gadgetgaz
Great Britain

Post by gadgetgaz »

bighopper wrote: No it just the tabs inside the female 3.5 connector have gotten wider over the years. i have tried to bend them in but as they are inside a plastic plug can't ge to them to good. I have tried using different cables with the same results.
Can you open up the SM-10? I'd solder in a new female connector. Either a surface mounted one, or easier, chop the male end off of a headphone extension cord and solder the wires straight onto the existing socket. You'd then have a flying lead with a female 3.5" socket on the end. It's gotta be worth it if you like the SM-10. £2 gets you back on track!
bighopper

Post by bighopper »

gadgetgaz wrote: Can you open up the SM-10? I'd solder in a new female connector. Either a surface mounted one, or easier, chop the male end off of a headphone extension cord and solder the wires straight onto the existing socket. You'd then have a flying lead with a female 3.5" socket on the end. It's gotta be worth it if you like the SM-10. £2 gets you back on track!
Yeah, it's worth a try. Just have to locate the surface connector or as you say go with an extension...winter here in Canada, an all non essential stores are closed due to CORVID.Thanks for your input..Stay Safe.
IDisposable

Post by IDisposable »

gadgetgaz wrote: This is a mod to replace the bike's built-in bluetooth and open up some of the bike's features that don't currently work with bluetooth connections....1)  a 'speaker level to line level converter' that converts the voltage and impedance of the Alpine unit's speaker outputs so they can be used safely with earbuds or a bluetooth transmitter.

One thing I did to vastly simplify a similar setup on my 2011 R1200RT is to tap into the rear-speaker plug on the triple-clamp. Just get the right plug and then you have the wires handy. I ended up routing into the glovebox pocket along with a USB power supply and using a Sena SM10 as my sender. This lets me pair with both my helmet and the passenger's helmet with no issues at all. https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topic/68894-2012-r1200rt-rear-speaker-plug/?do=findComment&comment=789278
Last edited by IDisposable on Fri May 07, 2021 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.