difference between Dynamic ESA "Road" and "Dyna"

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
ThaBeast52

difference between Dynamic ESA "Road" and "Dyna"

Post by ThaBeast52 »

Guys,

I recently purchased a brand new 2019 R1250RT. WHAT A BIKE! Quite an improvement over my former 2010 R1200RT. Being a good husband, I gave it to my wife who's just too happy to upgrade from her 2007 Kawasaki Versys.

Now the question. I'm puzzled by the absence of explanation in the rider's manual between the Road and the Dyna setting when I change the damping mode through the menus. The road mode is quite well explained (and suggested by default), with the distinctions between Min, Auto and Max. But no explanation about the Dyna mode. Anyone has an idea? How will it affect the riding?
Beagle

Re: difference between Dynamic ESA "Road" and "Dyna"

Post by Beagle »

[/size]
Copied this,

[/size]The chassis begins feeling a bit too bouncy and loosey-goosey, a couple of quick button presses toggles ESA into Dynamic damping, effecting an immediate change for a much firmer ride offering increased tire contact patch feedback and greater control of chassis pitch motion.[/size]

Corner exits provide the chuckles as well with selectable ride-by-wire modes labeled Rain, Road, and Dynamic allowing on-the-fly selection of power/response characteristics with different traction control sensitivity assigned to each mode. Dynamic mode’s sharp response and full power delivery proved very controllable in dry grip conditions while Road mode was a good choice when hauling a passenger or riding in an urban setting.[/size]

Its a bit similar to Sport Mode in my BMW X1 M Sport I suppose.
Last edited by Beagle on Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

I  leave the throttle in Dynamic and the suspension in Normal.  The only time I have changed this is in Snow and Ice where rain mode and normal seemed to be the most appropriate.  ( got caught out near Padiham one winter  Manchester was cold but dry  arrange to meet somone for a bit of a ride out and there was 2 inches of snow around Haslingden Padiham and points north).

Any mode other than Dynamic for the throttle seems like the (Imaginary) throttle cable is made of elastic.  Hard setting for the suspension is not great on the roads around here
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

exportman wrote: I  leave the throttle in Dynamic and the suspension in Normal.  The only time I have changed this is in Snow and Ice where rain mode and normal seemed to be the most appropriate.  ( got caught out near Padiham one winter  Manchester was cold but dry  arrange to meet somone for a bit of a ride out and there was 2 inches of snow around Haslingden Padiham and points north).

Any mode other than Dynamic for the throttle seems like the (Imaginary) throttle cable is made of elastic.  Hard setting for the suspension is not great on the roads around here
Same here,  Dynamic all the time except when it's frosty then Rain mode. Ride all year round 'cept snow.
Last edited by smileymiley on Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
ThaBeast52

Post by ThaBeast52 »

Thank you guys for your input