Fuel station air pumps

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
BobM

Fuel station air pumps

Post by BobM »

Hi, has anyone found that they cannot put air into their tyres using fuel station and supermarket air pumps. I have a 2014 RT LC with TPC and a while ago whilst out touring Scotland tried various locations and found that the air machines would show error and my efforts had slightly deflated the tyre. After trying 3 locations the tyre was a bit too flat to ride safely but I was fortunate and found someone with a plug in air pump, (I now carry one of these all the time). However, it wasn`t that accurate and the pressures were slightly low. I soldiered on until I came to Perth and called in at a BMW car dealership. They were very good and opened the workshop and I used their air pump. Absolutely no probs, and yet the part that goes on the tyre valve looked exactly the same as the garages and service station ones. Additionally I had used a couple of the locations previously with a K1300s and had no problems. I asked my local BMW dealer if they had heard of anyone having issues and the answer was no. Apologies if this subject is mentioned in earlier posts, I did check a number of pages but didn`t come across anything. Cheers Bob
scunny12
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT LE 2015
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Re: Fuel station air pumps

Post by scunny12 »

I too have had problems with airlines deflating my tyre, now just rely on my twin chamber foot pump.
BobM

Post by BobM »

Don`t take this the wrong way, but I`m glad to hear that I`m not the only one. I too use a footpump at home and have no problems.Strange. Cheers.
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Some work some dont. Carry adaptor with me from Halfords so no problems
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

This is not a unique problem. On the front wheel, the tyre valve is short and on one of the spokes. On the rear wheel, access is poor.
One solution used by many is a temporary tyre valve adaptor, usually of the 90deg type.

Nippy Normans sell two types, one for bikes with TPM,
https://www.nippynormans.com/f650st-f65 ... re-sensors

and another for those without, https://www.nippynormans.com/f650gs-08- ... em-adaptor

Can't see what the difference is myself. The photo used by NM is the same for both!

Other more cost effective makes are available. A useful addition to carry on the bike in case of emergency.
Last edited by David. on Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I have a compressor in the garage thats really useful for not only tyre pressures but blowing out the vacuum cleaner and anything else. Attachment includes sandblasting,  spray gun,  wax sprayer and umpteen other uses. if tyres go down on the road most probably a puncture and so carry plug repair kit with Co2. Compressor is so useful I have replaced it once and will replace/repair immediately.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

BoB21 wrote:Carry adaptor with me from Halfords so no problems.
Halfords seem to list two types too, I'm confused.com. Please can anyone help, thank you.

Bent Valve Adaptor

Motorbike Motorcycle Scooter Crash Valve Adapter 90 DEG
Last edited by David. on Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BobM

Post by BobM »

I have bought one of the NN attachments but I have horizontal valves already, I didn't try the attachment as I thought it would be more difficult to attach the airpipe. Note to self-try attachment, Cheers.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

If both F&R valves are on the side of the spokes, straight valve adaptors might be more useful.

Last edited by David. on Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BoB21
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Don't know how to do links but i use flexible one like pusbike one. Anything will do but check close to home that works b4 needing for real.
k900r

Post by k900r »

Always had to use one of those right angle adapters.
I then found the “forecourt cable conversion tool” at Nippy Norman’s

https://www.nippynormans.com/f650gs-08- ... rsion-tool

It’s even better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

I've got the right-angle adaptors which I needed for my previous RTs. There is no difference between "with" and "without" TPMS.
I also have the straight extensions for use on an old Kia Picanto which has short valve stems and an obstructive wheel trim.
My current RT has 90 degree valves and I can relate to the problem the OP had.
On my first ride with my new bike, the TPMS showed the front tyre pressure to be low. I stopped at a filling station and paid for air (something I had never done before and haven't done since). I set the pump to the required pressure and applied the nozzle to the valve. I'm still not sure how, but the result was a lower pressure than before. Very annoyed, I explained the problem to the girl in the shop. She came out, put another coin in the machine, applied the nozzle to the valve and pushed hard enough for it to seal. Waited for the "ping" and that was it sorted.
I thanked her and apologised - she said it happened a lot !
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
BoB21
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Local petrol station used to use ok then one day let my air out no amount of pressure would work. Spoke to attendant who explained that happens every so often that something goes wrong with nozzle and he would call engineer out. Sure enouth worked fine next time. Now I use foot pump at home and carry adapter in case of puncture to inflate tyre b4 plugging and save co2 canisters.
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

I remember when right angle adaptors first came out. Fitted them to my bike, left them on, then wondered why the wheels felt strangely out of balancenotbe
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Same problem on my 2005.  It seemed only to occur with the type of pump nozzle that's an angled cylinder, fitted on a steel tube rather than a rubber hose, and usually can be used at either end of the cylinder - I suppose to accommodate varying placements of the tire valve.  It seemed that the valve was too short to activate the pump nipple.  It occurs to me (now, not then unfortunately) that if you place a pebble in the pump end it might make it work in a pinch.  It really pissed me off that it makes matters worse by only letting air out of the tire.