General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Nick Evans
Bike Model and Year: 2009 R1200RT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

High seat

Post by Nick Evans »

Does anyone / has anyone ever had or used a high seat for an RT? I have a 2009RT and I had a knee replaced in 2018. Prior to this I had fitted a peg lowering kit because the lack of movement in my knee led to discomfort after about half an hour on the bike. Since the operation the range of motion has improved, to the extent that I have removed the peg lowering kit, and on the one ride I got in before the lockdown it felt OK but really I would like to try and find a high seat and try that. I am 6'3" (1.93m) tall so getting feet down is not an issue, I just want to open up the angle of my knee and hip a little with the pegs in the correct place. (The peg lowering kit worked but I was scraping the pegs every now and then).
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: High seat

Post by David. »

As far as I'm aware, there are only two OEM seat height options for a 2009 Hexhead, standard or low, haven't seen a high one.
Last edited by David. on Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

Might be cheaper to go with a different peg lowering kit. I would bet you were running the Suburban Machinery kit? Take a look at the lowering pegs from Knight Design. You give up very little clearance over stock pegs with their pegs.
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

realshelby wrote:I would bet you were running the Suburban Machinery kit.
https://www.suburban-machinery.com/R1200RT.html
realshelby wrote:Take a look at the lowering pegs from Knight Design.
http://www.knightdesignllc.com/Products ... -Pegs.html
realshelby wrote:You give up very little clearance over stock pegs with their pegs.
Would that be because the KD pegs (without rubbers),  replace rather than re-use the stock pegs which also have "hero blobs", they could be removed to improve ground clearance.
Last edited by David. on Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Nick Evans wrote:Does anyone / has anyone ever had or used a high seat for an RT?
How about getting the existing seat raised to suit your height, something like this one, http://recoverupholstery.net/weeks-proj ... ycle-seat/

The peg lowering kits reduce the height by 35 - 38 mm, could this be added to the seat height.

For comparison, adjusting the OEM low or standard seat height on the bike is +/- 20mm.
Last edited by David. on Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick B

Post by Rick B »

If your in the UK try Tony Archer seats in Huddersfield (Obviously if he's not in lockdown)
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

David. wrote: https://www.suburban-machinery.com/R1200RT.html

http://www.knightdesignllc.com/Products/Motorcycle/BMW/R1200RT/BMW-R1200RT-1-Front-Foot-Pegs.html

Would that be because the KD pegs (without rubbers), replace rather than re-use the stock pegs which also have "hero blobs", they could be removed to improve ground clearance.

Yes, the Knight design simply replaces the stock footpeg. It gains its additional legroom by eliminating the rubber first, and second by allowing the foot surface to be lower due to how they simply drop that level. What it amounts to is they sit about the same level as the bottom of the "hero blobs" or peg feelers. Being CNC machined they don't have to be thick. That is how they gain all the room with almost no loss of clearance. They also keep the foot area tucked in close to the bike like the stock pegs. No rubber? Must vibrate? I was concerned about that. But I cannot feel any vibration even on long days in the saddle. I do like how your boot simply sticks to them, wet or dry. Much better than the rubber.
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Nice feedback, thank you.
Lucky

Post by Lucky »

For anybody who hasn't seen it before there's a tool that calculates the impact of various changes to the riding position. It's called cyclo-ergo.com
Select your bike, enter your height etc, and play with seat height, footrest height and so on to see how the knee angle changes. The bigger the number the better.
For me (6'1" with 34" inseam) and my RT LC I can change the knee angle from a crampt 77° to a spacious 89° by raising the standard seat 2" and lowering the footrests by 1".
That compares with the GS Adventure which has s knee angle of 88° for my height...
Use it out and work how to get the biggest bang for your buck.
Last edited by Lucky on Tue May 05, 2020 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

realshelby wrote: the Knight design simply replaces the stock footpeg....I do like how your boot simply sticks to them, wet or dry. Much better than the rubber.

I think they look great. I wish they were available across in the UK at an acceptable price. Sadly, shipping and customs make these pegs just too expensive. I could do with my knees being less bent!
Vincentrapide
Great Britain

Post by Vincentrapide »

Didn’t want to start a separate thread, but I’ve been trying to find a high seat for a 1250RT. Only option so far is the BMW item at £402. I’d rather have a Sergeant for this kind of money. They only seem to list low or standard. Asked them about a high seat but after a few days they haven’t answered.
Any suggestions welcome.
Cheers
Vincentrapide
Great Britain

Post by Vincentrapide »

Sorted now with a BMW high seat purchased used on GSER for a very reasonable sum.