Oil leak

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Gavyn

Oil leak

Post by Gavyn »

Hi everyone
I am a newbie on here and a new BMW rider.
I have bought a 2007 r1200rt which has been really well looked aftet only done 31,000 miles with a full BMW service history. Wednesday the rear hub started leaking I have attached a photo. I have taken it to a local garage who said it just needs a new seal then today got speaking to an other mechanic who said it will need stripping down and rebuilding if not it will keep breaking seals. Anyone just replaced the hub seal and had no further problems.
Attachments
20200408_103206.jpg
Boxflyer
Been liked: 16 times

Re: Oil leak

Post by Boxflyer »

Deleted
Last edited by Boxflyer on Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Oil leak

Post by milleplod »

It's likely to be the £15-ish seal behind the snap-in black ring in the pic. Be very.....that's very!.....careful if you decide to drill into the face of the metal-backed seal to get it out - immediately behind it is the face of a bearing, just a mm too far in with the drill bit will wreck the bearing, and then you'll be looking at a much bigger job! BMW have a special shouldered bit to prevent going in too far, but, as ever with their special tools, it costs daft money.

The seal can be removed with judicious use of a small, flat-bladed screwdriver, it doesn't take that much pressure to get it out, although there's definitely a knack to it! Mine was done ages ago, and it's been fine since - for the sake of £15, I'd take mechanic no. 2's advice with a pinch of salt and try the seal first. Look for any corrosion in there when the seal's out, and if you do attempt it yourself, be careful not to scratch the inner surface where the seal will sit, for obvious reasons!

Not sure where you are, but in the UK, for any rear drive issues that you can't sort yourself, Mike Overy at Overland and Classic near Melton Mowbray is your man - he rebuilds them for dealers. He did the seal for me as I wasn't 100% confident myself - I pulled up at his workshop, by the time I'd got my helmet and gloves off, the new seal was fitted....he's got the knack!

Pete
Last edited by milleplod on Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.