Clutch issue

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
chrismckay

Clutch issue

Post by chrismckay »

Hello Guys,

Was out on bike today and there was an intermittent problem with the clutch lever, a couple of times it kinda stuck whilst pulled back against the handlebar, the lever was totally slack to move away from handlebar, then it returned to normal operation and worked no problems.

After returning home I went to have a closer look at it and it was playing up again, its like the piston in the master cylinder is sticking, there was also an audible click every time the lever was released, the lever can now travel to the bar and only the last 5mm of travel has any resistance, the lever is totally slack moving away from the bar.

What do you reckon, anybody got any ideas?...it looks like there is no re-build kit for the clutch master cylinder so the whole shooting match needs purchased including lever and reservoir!!!!... part number [size=2px]32728532546[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]Chris... [/size] :)
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Re: Clutch issue

Post by simbo »

chrismckay wrote: Hello Guys,

Was out on bike today and there was an intermittent problem with the clutch lever, a couple of times it kinda stuck whilst pulled back against the handlebar, the lever was totally slack to move away from handlebar, then it returned to normal operation and worked no problems.

After returning home I went to have a closer look at it and it was playing up again, its like the piston in the master cylinder is sticking, there was also an audible click every time the lever was released, the lever can now travel to the bar and only the last 5mm of travel has any resistance, the lever is totally slack moving away from the bar.

What do you reckon, anybody got any ideas?...it looks like there is no re-build kit for the clutch master cylinder so the whole shooting match needs purchased including lever and reservoir!!!!... part number 32728532546[/size]

[/size]
Chris... [/size] :)

I had a very similar problem with a car many years ago, it was the seal on the piston allowing fluid behind it preventing the piston returning to its natural position.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
gary45

Post by gary45 »

What year is the bike? Have you lubricated lever pivot pin? The only bad experience I have had was on my K100, the barrel of the master cylinder is open to the air, water and dirt, was dirty and corroded causing resistance to piston free movement, it was not leaking. At the time was able to get a new piston with seal from Beemer Boneyard but getting the original out past the crude was extremely difficult, was able to clean up and install new piston, it was fine after repair.
chrismckay

Post by chrismckay »

Thanks for the replies Guys,

The bike is a 2012 model.

Strangely enough the lever is now functioning as it should!!!!....I was playing about with the lever working it in and out when all of a sudden the resistance came back and it is fully functioning.

I presume, even though there is no rebuild kit, that the master cylinder can be stripped down???... it isn't a sealed unit is it?

David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

chrismckay wrote:Was out on bike today and there was an intermittent problem with the clutch lever.
Has he bike been laid up for a while.
chrismckay

Post by chrismckay »

David. wrote: Has he bike been laid up for a while.

First ride of the year....so 4 months in the garage.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

chrismckay wrote:First ride of the year, so 4 months in the garage.
Oh dear, sounds like a dose of stiction due to lack of use. Won't be long before the "ride all year" comment comes!

Mine has probably seized up solid by now, although occasionally, I do manipulate the clutch lever.

Fortunately, under an Insured Warranty, failure of the following clutch parts is covered. Master cylinder, slave cylinder, clutch plate, plate housing cover & thrust bearing.
Last edited by David. on Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

chrismckay wrote:
First ride of the year....so 4 months in the garage.

Always think its worth putting a cheap or second hand dehumidifier in the garage coupled with a moisture meter (cheap on net). The air moisture level in mine is kept 55 to 60%. You do need to try and draught proof as much as possible. With all my tools, bike, mower, hedge trimmer, chainsaw and umpteen other bits and pieces, its worth the cost to keep rust at bay.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Some folks question why I have my bike treated with ACF-50 prior to storing it in the garage for winter.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I built this many years ago (some one else has it still on the road). So it prompted the garage moisture level query.

Attachments
353EE212-602C-44DA-A64D-DBF599D385DA.jpeg
BAD1CA6E-2EB6-401E-902E-4E2B271E1284.jpeg
AA98AB88-145F-41CA-90BE-4D8AB936F172.jpeg
B99E94E4-43DB-4C48-B8EC-AEA02DAD83AC.jpeg
Last edited by Beagle on Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

David. wrote: Oh dear, sounds like a dose of stiction due to lack of use. Won't be long before the "ride all year" comment comes!

Mine has probably seized up solid by now, although occasionally, I do manipulate the clutch lever.

Fortunately, under an Insured Warranty, failure of the following clutch parts is covered. Master cylinder, slave cylinder, clutch plate, plate housing cover & thrust bearing.

Should ride it all year round........ ;) [size=78%]besides no point having it stored away for months, for your first ride to be to a dealer for warranty work [/size]