Finding excuses for a ride?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
mondeoman
Wales

Re: Finding excuses for a ride?

Post by mondeoman »

I was in a group of 2, me and him, but if you stop in a layby for example, sometimes other bikers 1 or more will stop and chat, which happened to us 2 on the way to the Raven,  at Shawbury nr the RAF base, a bloke on another 1200 GS, (gawd, they are everywhere those GSs) , stopped and said hello, "free at last he says" ,  like it or not huge amounts of people are heading to parks,  tourist type places, etc. As we all know various politicians, officials, etc have flouted their own instructions going to 2nd homes etc and so on, so get on the bikes and ride. The Plod are now concentrating  on gathering loads of fines via speeding penalties I reckon to get cash into their depleted coffers since with lockdown they have nailed very few, I even saw on Sat'  a cop on the Market Drayton bypass in a layby and Beemer RT mounted with a speed camera mounted on a little tripod, whole shebang would fit in his top box, never ever seen that scenario before.
Mondeoman
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Social distancing was adhered to at all times 👍
Good run out round the peak district as well 😊
[attachimg=1]

I even managed a bit of "off roading" lol.
[attachimg=2]
Attachments
20200517_144903.jpg
20200517_122932.jpg
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Enjoyed freedom today. Guess where?
Attachments
20200517_112253.jpg
Last edited by BoB21 on Sun May 17, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

BoB21 wrote: Enjoyed freedom today. Guess where?

Salisbury?
BoB21
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Have you northern monkeys never seen the sea?
Last edited by BoB21 on Sun May 17, 2020 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

mondeoman wrote: The Plod are now concentrating  on gathering loads of fines via speeding penalties I reckon to get cash into their depleted coffers since with lockdown they have nailed very few, I even saw on Sat'  a cop on the Market Drayton bypass in a layby and Beemer RT mounted with a speed camera mounted on a little tripod, whole shebang would fit in his top box, never ever seen that scenario before.

I suppose an alternative view is that they are out there promoting and enforcing road safety, which after a small group of knob heads have been taking the proverbial is possibly at the front of the Road Policing Units agenda.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-speeding-driver-hits-151mph-in-police-chase-during-covid-19-lockdown-11972864

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52370352
Last edited by MikeS on Sun May 17, 2020 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

mondeoman wrote: I was in a group of 2, me and him, but if you stop in a layby for example, sometimes other bikers 1 or more will stop and chat, which happened to us 2 on the way to the Raven,  at Shawbury nr the RAF base, a bloke on another 1200 GS, (gawd, they are everywhere those GSs) , stopped and said hello, "free at last he says" ,  like it or not huge amounts of people are heading to parks,  tourist type places, etc. As we all know various politicians, officials, etc have flouted their own instructions going to 2nd homes etc and so on, so get on the bikes and ride. The Plod are now concentrating  on gathering loads of fines via speeding penalties I reckon to get cash into their depleted coffers since with lockdown they have nailed very few, I even saw on Sat'  a cop on the Market Drayton bypass in a layby and Beemer RT mounted with a speed camera mounted on a little tripod, whole shebang would fit in his top box, never ever seen that scenario before.

The Plod will only gather fines from people who are endangering the public by speeding. They are continually risking harm or danger arresting criminals in this pandemic. As some one who used to sit on the other side of a bench I am all to familiar with people who disregard the safety of others.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David. wrote:In England, group rides of more than 2 are not allowed. I presume that if you ride in pairs and happen to meet up at a destination (park or public space),  this might be acceptable. Providing social distancing is observed at the destination.

Does the above scenario comply with this,"Though lockdown restrictions have been eased in England, government advice states that people should "not gather in groups of more than two" except with members of their household."
Have been speaking to Markus, he would be my riding buddy to Peterborough for the RT meet. He is of the same opinion as me, in than riding together as a pair is acceptable, but having a group ride out on the Saturday wouldn't be.

Unless the situation changes, what are your thoughts on this one.
Last edited by David. on Sun May 17, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tojjer
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

BoB21 wrote: Enjoyed freedom today. Guess where?

Is that at the top looking out over Lulworth/Kimmeridge Dorset ?
BoB21
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Simbo  its road above tyneham ghost village. Views are better further along but no room to stop really. Tyneham well worth looking at.
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

BoB21 wrote: Simbo  its road above tyneham ghost village. Views are better further along but no room to stop really. Tyneham well worth looking at.

I couldn't see the sea on my phone lol Tyneham, I think me and Jo went there last year when we stayed overnight in Bournemouth and had a mooch round that area.
[attachimg=1]
Attachments
20190912_103936.jpg
mondeoman
Wales

Post by mondeoman »

Apparently between 100-200 bikers at the Raven caff' at the same time on Sunday, a pal in Stafford via a ph' call told me he rode past without stopping and the caff' car park was crammed and the tarmac lorry park across the feeder road was half full, knowing how large those car/lorry parks are I can well believe his estimate of numbers would be pretty spot on, no pics unfortunately.
Mondeoman
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sounds a bit like Sunday 22nd March, the day before the "lockdown". Folks are taking the opportunity (pi$$) to get out before the next "lockdown" comes in England.

"Some people in Pennine town of Alston say too many motorcyclists are coming to the town in large numbers and want them to wait until the coronavirus pandemic has eased."

"Did anyone else notice that when the motorcyclist is saying "We keeping the social distancing and things like that..." there is a group of three motocyclists over his shoulder no more than a couple of feet apart?"
Last edited by David. on Mon May 18, 2020 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

She said there were also groups of motorcyclists who were "a challenge for the police in several parts of North Yorkshire, as they were out in large groups instead of their families or one other person".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-52704317
Last edited by Beagle on Mon May 18, 2020 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »