Finding excuses for a ride?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
User avatar
exportman
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:57 pm
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 41 times
Great Britain

Re: Finding excuses for a ride?

Post by exportman »

Sprintgull wrote: I'll also need to renew my IAM (a good thing) but they are not training either.  Patience is a virtue.... so I'll do some socially distanced practice in the meantime.

Hi  If you are an associate and your membership has expired in the last 5 weeks or is about to expire you can get a 6 months  membership extension free of charge.


"[size=14px]Advanced driving and riding tests and assessments remain suspended until further notice as are all re-qualifications for Local Observer Assessors, National Observers, Fellows and Masters.[/size][size=14px]
[/size]
[size=14px]Where associates[/size]’ membership expires, we will extend their membership, at no additional cost, for up to a further six months to enable all associates to complete their coaching and take their test without disadvantage. Each associate should contact our Customer Care team by emailing [size=14px][email protected][/size][size=14px] only when they have received their membership[/size] renewal notice.
User avatar
smileymiley
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:24 am
Location: Grantham
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Re: Finding excuses for a ride?

Post by smileymiley »

Well it's the essential shop trip tomorrow  👍 So may take the even longer way round. 😱
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
User avatar
tojjer
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:15 pm
Location: England
Great Britain

Re: Finding excuses for a ride?

Post by tojjer »

smileymiley wrote: Well it's the essential shop trip tomorrow  👍 So may take the even longer way round. 😱

Enjoy !!

User avatar
smileymiley
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:24 am
Location: Grantham
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Re: Finding excuses for a ride?

Post by smileymiley »

tojjer wrote:
Enjoy !!
Can't believe the amount of diversions there are...😱😂😂😂😂😂🏍
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
User avatar
tojjer
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:15 pm
Location: England
Great Britain

Re: Finding excuses for a ride?

Post by tojjer »

smileymiley wrote: Can't believe the amount of diversions there are...😱😂😂😂😂😂🏍

I think I might be tempted to take a ride out myself to a few local "beauty spots" and might even take the drone. We've got 5 Cruise ships anchored in Weymouth Bay including the Queen Mary 2. May send the drone out to them to have a peek.
Need to be careful, it's my brothers Mavic Pro drone I've borrowed  and I've only flown it a couple of times and not too far away. Don't really fancy seeing any underwater shots for a few seconds before it disappears never to be seen again!  :grave:
scunny12
Subscriber
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:13 pm
Location: North Lincs
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT LE 2015
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Re: Finding excuses for a ride?

Post by scunny12 »

I hope you have passed your flying test and got a registered licence and have the drone licence sticker visible.  All now a legal requirement for drones over 250g and the Mavic Pro is well over that.
BoB21
Posts: 790
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:38 am
Bike Model and Year: 2017
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Re: Finding excuses for a ride?

Post by BoB21 »

Just be carefull the wildlife doesn't know we have been released yet, also standard of driving has found a whole new level to slump to.
User avatar
tojjer
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:15 pm
Location: England
Great Britain

Re: Finding excuses for a ride?

Post by tojjer »

scunny12 wrote: I hope you have passed your flying test and got a registered licence and have the drone licence sticker visible.  All now a legal requirement for drones over 250g and the Mavic Pro is well over that.

Yep, all done. Parted with my £9 for the licence and the drone is clearly marked with my operators number.
User avatar
smileymiley
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:24 am
Location: Grantham
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Re: Finding excuses for a ride?

Post by smileymiley »

tojjer wrote:
I think I might be tempted to take a ride out myself to a few local "beauty spots" and might even take the drone. We've got 5 Cruise ships anchored in Weymouth Bay including the Queen Mary 2. May send the drone out to them to have a peek.
Need to be careful, it's my brothers Mavic Pro drone I've borrowed  and I've only flown it a couple of times and not too far away. Don't really fancy seeing any underwater shots for a few seconds before it disappears never to be seen again!  :grave:
Bought a Mavic Air just at the start of lockdown 🤨 Been having test flights in the field next to us. Going to use it on my trips into the Peaks etc. For some arty farty videos  🤞Got my licence & operator ID so all legal too.
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
heathy65
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: Finding excuses for a ride?

Post by heathy65 »

Have a look at bikeshedcc. they're running a volunteer scheme using a phone app. No advanced qualification required. Its centred around London, but they are looking to expand the scheme.
User avatar
tojjer
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:15 pm
Location: England
Great Britain

Re: Finding excuses for a ride?

Post by tojjer »

smileymiley wrote: Bought a Mavic Air just at the start of lockdown 🤨 Been having test flights in the field next to us. Going to use it on my trips into the Peaks etc. For some arty farty videos  🤞Got my licence & operator ID so all legal too.

Impressed with this Mavic Pro of my brothers, so may well purchase my own. The new Mavic Air 2 looks very good for the money, might have a look at one of them.


Managed to get out for a ride today but too windy down here for the drone ( especially as its not mine )
Did around 90 miles so enjoyed it, very scenic along the coast and back round in a loop to home again. Even the wife enjoyed it, it's the first time she's plucked up courage to get on the back since I had my knee op. Mind you, it didn't help with me putting my foot down at a junction behind a lorry and my foot slipping on some grit. Kept it upright so all good in the end.
User avatar
smileymiley
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:24 am
Location: Grantham
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Re: Finding excuses for a ride?

Post by smileymiley »

tojjer wrote:
Impressed with this Mavic Pro of my brothers, so may well purchase my own. The new Mavic Air 2 looks very good for the money, might have a look at one of them.


Managed to get out for a ride today but too windy down here for the drone ( especially as its not mine )
Did around 90 miles so enjoyed it, very scenic along the coast and back round in a loop to home again. Even the wife enjoyed it, it's the first time she's plucked up courage to get on the back since I had my knee op. Mind you, it didn't help with me putting my foot down at a junction behind a lorry and my foot slipping on some grit. Kept it upright so all good in the end.
Been out today with my better half,  it was her first ride since lockdown & also first trip anywhere,  other than the GP's for blood test, as she is immunocompromised. She thoroughly enjoyed it too! 😀👍
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
User avatar
mondeoman
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:33 pm
Location: mid wales
Wales

Re: Finding excuses for a ride?

Post by mondeoman »

Loadsa bikes out yesterday (Fri),the Raven caf' was serving nosh thro' a door and about 30 or so bikers coming and going in the half hour I was there, inc' amongst that lot was a club? of about 12-14 road rocket riders  with well worn knee sliders , who all arrived en masse and ignored the distancing thingy, oops ! :alas: , other bikes were a few Beemers, 1200GSs, Suzuki Vstrom (1) a lone Harley, an immensely  loud Yam' Vmax, me on Beemer 1200RT .
Last edited by mondeoman on Sun May 17, 2020 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mondeoman
User avatar
tojjer
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:15 pm
Location: England
Great Britain

Re: Finding excuses for a ride?

Post by tojjer »

It sounds like the typical " give an inch and they'll take a mile" scenario. We've been warned, if it starts going up again, they'll lock us down again. The few will spoil it for the many as usual no doubt
User avatar
David.
Subscriber
Posts: 8088
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:29 pm
Location: North Yorkshire
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 341 times
Great Britain

Re: Finding excuses for a ride?

Post by David. »

Interesting, had the Raven Café been in Wales, it would have been out of bounds to those from England.

"The devolved nations, which have their own powers over restrictions, have ignored the move in England to a "stay alert" recommendation, and have kept their "stay at home" advice."

In England, group rides of more than 2 are not allowed. I presume that if you ride in pairs and happen to meet up at a destination (park or public space),  this might be acceptable. Providing social distancing is observed at the destination.

Does the above scenario comply with this,"Though lockdown restrictions have been eased in England, government advice states that people should "not gather in groups of more than two" except with members of their household."
Last edited by David. on Sun May 17, 2020 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply