Route Planning Software - what do you use?

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
Old-Git

Route Planning Software - what do you use?

Post by Old-Git »

Ok so I have a Nav6, and last year used Tyre on my PC, did all my route planning, exported in .gpx format, happy days. Tyre no longer uses google maps, shows straight lines to waypoints, and is no longer supported. Changed to myrouteapp.com sort of OK with it but it only shows road names not numbers, OK I can live with that, I have to use google maps in another  but when I export in .gpx format v1.1 (route, track, POI) Trip Planner finds it, as a route, then when you open it in route planner it shows straight lines...! I've solved that by importing using Tracks, then converting to Trip.All this makes it very long winded - anyone got any other suggestions? Basecamp seems to be over complicated, kerviger is clunky.... any others out there? Thanks

David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Route Planning Software - what do you use?

Post by David. »

Old-Git wrote:Basecamp seems to be over complicated.
I use BaseCamp, have a look at this thread from page 3, https://www.1200rt.com/index.php?topic=2511.30 it might be helpful.
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

I use basecamp. Set a start and finish location and then add waypoints to interesting features. It was a struggle to start but ok now 👍
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

I use basecamp. Effort needed to learn but quick when got hang of it. Free, dont need internet and can route over mountain passes any time. I'm hopeless with technology but managed to get to grips with it.
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Post by milleplod »

Tourstart - https://tourstart.org/tour
It's intuitive to use, works seamlessly with Garmin and Tomtom devices, and is available on Apple and Android phones too. No struggling with it, no frustration, no 'it took a few weeks to get the hang of it'.....it just works. It's not free, but it's most definitely stress-free, which makes it worth every penny of the £1.40 per month that it costs.  :)

Pete
austin1964

Post by austin1964 »

Old-Git wrote: Ok so I have a Nav6, and last year used Tyre on my PC, did all my route planning, exported in .gpx format, happy days. Tyre no longer uses google maps, shows straight lines to waypoints, and is no longer supported. Changed to myrouteapp.com sort of OK with it but it only shows road names not numbers, OK I can live with that, I have to use google maps in another  but when I export in .gpx format v1.1 (route, track, POI) Trip Planner finds it, as a route, then when you open it in route planner it shows straight lines...! I've solved that by importing using Tracks, then converting to Trip.All this makes it very long winded - anyone got any other suggestions? Basecamp seems to be over complicated, kerviger is clunky.... any others out there? Thanks
It's the version you are exporting it in I think, this short YouTube might help
https://youtu.be/uUha7ycuoGQ

Rambler358
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Rambler358 »

I prefer BaseCamp, but I also use inRoute (iOS and Mac apps) and MyRoute-app. I like using the other apps as well because I can create routes on the go if needed, and then send them from my iPad to the Nav 6.

If I’m home and not using BaseCamp to create the route, I’ll export it as a GPX then import it into BaseCamp to make sure the route aligns with what I want. Then I’ll add departure and layover times, and then send it to my Nav 6.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I have been using MY Route App for a few years now. Works really well, although you need a subscription for all the bells and whistles, but the basic is good enough. I fell out with Basecamp years ago. MRA is built by the guys who built Tyre.
austin1964

Post by austin1964 »

And if you subscribe to Gold on MRA it aligns with Google maps
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

austin1964 wrote: And if you subscribe to Gold on MRA it aligns with Google maps
That's what I wanted to hear, Thanks, and thank you for all of the other replies.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Old-Git wrote: That's what I wanted to hear, Thanks, and thank you for all of the other replies.

Just be aware if you export a route there are two options, new Garmin 1.1 and Garmin 1.0. 1.1 used to put a route in and give straight lines, if you use 1.0 for export it works fine. 1.0 makes all your points, waypoints, so if you just want shaping points, just change when the route is in the device (easy done). I really like MRA, very easy to use. I have a Gold subscription, mainly so I can compare routes in Google, Garmin and Tom Tom, as all my mates don't have Garmin devices. Support is also pretty good if you have a subscription
tojjer
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

I use MyRouteApp also. So much easier to plan a route using it as long as you zoom right in on dual carriageways etc to ensure you've put your marker on the correct side of the road.  Just an add on to comments above about it. I used it last week for the first time in a while.
Although I had a newer Garmin, I always used to transfer the route as 1.0  and not 1.1 which was for the newer Garmins. I then ran it through BC with a recalculate to make sure it was compliant with that, and to change waypoints to shaping points.
Longwinded I know, but it worked the way I wanted it to and put me back to my route if we went wrong.

Last week, I thought I'd try it with my new Nav VI. When I went to transfer the file, it showed me something I hadn't seen before, or certainly hadn't noticed.
1.1 now has two choices, track & POI, or Route, track & POI. I used that without putting it through BC first, and it worked faultlessly on a 235 mile route. I even went wrong on purpose and it put me back to my route.

Their new version of their Navigation app for phones, lets you ignore 3 u turn prompts, then recalculates you to the next waypoint on your route. Cheap at 39 euros for 3 yrs
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Another vote for Basecamp (or should that be a medal for perseverance).  It took a while to get used to it, much cursing, swearing and the odd divorce threat, but now it's okay.  Not only that, I've got a lot of data in there now.  Must admit I plan routes with one eye on a road atlas or Google Maps.  Two main watchouts that I've found:  Be sure any waypoints you add to bend your route are on the correct carraigeway for a dual or motorway, and, it likes to cut corners.  Sometimes it will route you off an a road onto a goat track only to rejoin the same road a couple of miles away because Basecamp sees this as a shortcut.  Once you get used to it's odd ways it works a treat.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

tojjer wrote: I use MyRouteApp also. So much easier to plan a route using it as long as you zoom right in on dual carriageways etc to ensure you've put your marker on the correct side of the road.  Just an add on to comments above about it. I used it last week for the first time in a while.
Although I had a newer Garmin, I always used to transfer the route as 1.0  and not 1.1 which was for the newer Garmins. I then ran it through BC with a recalculate to make sure it was compliant with that, and to change waypoints to shaping points.
Longwinded I know, but it worked the way I wanted it to and put me back to my route if we went wrong.

Last week, I thought I'd try it with my new Nav VI. When I went to transfer the file, it showed me something I hadn't seen before, or certainly hadn't noticed.
1.1 now has two choices, track & POI, or Route, track & POI. I used that without putting it through BC first, and it worked faultlessly on a 235 mile route. I even went wrong on purpose and it put me back to my route.

Their new version of their Navigation app for phones, lets you ignore 3 u turn prompts, then recalculates you to the next waypoint on your route. Cheap at 39 euros for 3 yrs

Interesting, I'll have to have a play. Haven't used 1.1 because of straight lines and the work around to get it to work. But if they fixed it, I'll give it a try. Not sure I understand the difference between the two choices though :)
austin1964

Post by austin1964 »

The difference apparently is the way TomTom and a Garmin come up with the route calculation. I was also informed that to stop getting into trouble on goat tracks you should set your Nav 5 and 6 to car. It will ask you each time you get on the bike but I have found this to be a really good tip!
Last edited by austin1964 on Wed May 27, 2020 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.