Route Planning Software - what do you use?

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
tojjer
Great Britain

Re: Route Planning Software - what do you use?

Post by tojjer »

Casbar wrote:
Interesting, I'll have to have a play. Haven't used 1.1 because of straight lines and the work around to get it to work. But if they fixed it, I'll give it a try. Not sure I understand the difference between the two choices though :)

Sorry, I confused myself there a bit. The two 1.1 options come up if you save it to file, and then transfer it to the Nav VI
Transferring straight to Nav gives BMW car / motorbike choices.

I saved it as 1.1 ( route/track/poi ) then sent to Nav. Worked perfectly
Tomorrow, gonna send it straight to nav using BMW motorbike and see how that goes.
All new to me, the only way I could previously get it to work on my Garmin 346 was to run it through a recalculate in BC. If I didn't and I took a detour, it would recalculate but to the end point by the shortest route possible.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

tojjer wrote:
Sorry, I confused myself there a bit. The two 1.1 options come up if you save it to file, and then transfer it to the Nav VI
Transferring straight to Nav gives BMW car / motorbike choices.

I saved it as 1.1 ( route/track/poi ) then sent to Nav. Worked perfectly
Tomorrow, gonna send it straight to nav using BMW motorbike and see how that goes.
All new to me, the only way I could previously get it to work on my Garmin 346 was to run it through a recalculate in BC. If I didn't and I took a detour, it would recalculate but to the end point by the shortest route possible.

So BMW Car and Motorbike 1.1 are new options, it used to just have GPX 1.0 old and GPX1.1 new, which never worked without a workaround, just gave straight lines, I'll have a go tomorrow as well :)
tojjer
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

Yes they are new. I'm trying it tomorrow too, so we can compare notes !  :thinking:

EDIT:    Still have to convert from track to trip!!!!!!!!! >:(

As Old Git says, very longwinded still

Last edited by tojjer on Wed May 27, 2020 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rambler358
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Rambler358 »

austin1964 wrote: And if you subscribe to Gold on MRA it aligns with Google maps
So, MyRoute-app no longer supports Google Maps routing.
I guess Google wanted to up their licensing fees, and the MyRoute folks didn’t want to pay it.
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Google doesn't allow to plot a route over mountain passes when they are closed. Basecamp does. Do these other route planners allow?
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

BoB21 wrote: Google doesn't allow to plot a route over mountain passes when they are closed. Basecamp does. Do these other route planners allow?

Yes, because if using google maps its a live view. On MRA if using HERE maps, which are the Garmin maps, its the same as on your device, so won't know the passes are closed. Just checked, Google Maps have disappeared, the default is Open street maps if you don't want to use Garmin or Tom Tom maps, but most other routing software have now dumped Google as an option. As I have a Garmin, I always use Garmin and only used Google to compare routes, so the app will still be fine for me
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Ok, just did a MRA test using the export tool within the app. Did alternative routes, GPX1.0 still works fine. The new option BMW Motorcycle GPX 1.1 still gives straight lines. That is with the export done and the sat nav having coverage before I imported the route. This is not an issue for me as 1.0 gives waypoints and 1.1 gives all shaping points. But if I use 1.0 I can change the waypoints to shaping points from within the device. I have no idea why 1.1 still doesn't work via the export tool. I haven't tried saving the routes to a file and just copying over to the device, may try that to eliminate the MRA export tool as the problem :)

Edit - tried saving 1.1 BMW Motorcycle gpx to happy and copied direct onto the Nav VI, the trip is still showing straight lines. So guess I will stick to using GPX 1.0
Last edited by Casbar on Thu May 28, 2020 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed17

Post by Ed17 »

Nav VI with Mapsource (Win 7 pro). Occasionally importing a Gpx from the net. Sometimes OSM Streetmap (runs also on the nav VI) where more specific details are required.
I always import a track. I never let the nav transform it to a route.
Ok, that way one has to be more concentrated to navigate, but the track doesn't change where the loaded map might differ from e.g. the map in Mapsource.
Take care.
Ed..
Last edited by Ed17 on Thu May 28, 2020 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
..like pointing a finger away to the moon...don't concentrate on the finger!
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

Guys......wow......I mean, wow!....you really do seem to like doing things the hard way!!  :alas:

Pete
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

milleplod wrote: Guys......wow......I mean, wow!....you really do seem to like doing things the hard way!!  :alas:

Pete

What by using an app that actually is a 100% better and easier than going through the learning of Basecamp. But hey its like everything, you can all make your own decisions, we are not yet in a police state :)
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

Casbar wrote:
What by using an app that actually is a 100% better and easier than going through the learning of Basecamp. But hey its like everything, you can all make your own decisions, we are not yet in a police state :)
I meant that it all seems rather complicated compared to Tourstart.....even down to the lingo used!  ;)

Pete
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

I've learnt basecamp and didn't find it to hard. Doesn't cost anything so for me no point in changing.
tojjer
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

milleplod wrote: I meant that it all seems rather complicated compared to Tourstart.....even down to the lingo used!  ;)

Pete

Gonna give it a try. Can't be any worse than BC
jjwill
Bike Model and Year: RT 2018 LC
Wales

Post by jjwill »

I have been using basecamp since it came out and there is plenty of information on YouTube
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

jjwill wrote: I have been using basecamp since it came out and there is plenty of information on YouTube

+1. My first GPS was one of these and that was a real struggle. Basecamp is a comparative dream but I have to use Google maps as well.
John Bentall