Tyre Version Codes

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Tyre Version Codes

Post by David. »

Are tyre version codes really necessary or is it just a marketing ploy by the manufacturers.

For the Hexhead, BMW listed tyres from Bridgestone (2 off),  Continental, Dunlop (2 off),  Metzeler (2 off) & Michelin, a total of 8 tyres.

For the Camhead, BMW listed tyres from Bridgestone, Continental, Dunlop, Metzeler (2 off) & Michelin, a total of 6 tyres.

For the Wethead (1200),  BMW originally listed tyres from Continental, Metzeler & Michelin, a total of 3 tyres. Continental were dropped, so now only Metzeler & Michelin.

For the Wethead (1250),  BMW list tyres from Metzeler & Michelin, a total of 2 tyres.

The Metzeler is a Z8, with version codes (M) front & (C) rear, whilst the Michelin is a Pilot Road 4, with version code (GT) front & rear.

Is this just clever marketing by Metzeler & Michelin to corner the RT tyre market. (The Z8 has been recommended for all RT's).

By default, I ended up having a pair of Michelin Pilot Road 1's fitted. These tyres are not recommended by BMW, I didn't have any problems with them and they were wearing well before I sold the bike.

On my current Camhead, I'm using Dunlop Roadsmart I's, they are recommended but not exclusive to RT's, nor do they have any version codes.

The latest Metzeler 01's & Michelin Road 5's have versions codes for RT's, namely HWM (rear) & GT (F&R) respectively.

It looks like this ploy has done the trick, with Z8's & PR 4GT's, originally heading the poll of tyres fitted to RT's. Now being matched if not overtaken by 01's & Road 5's.

The load & speed ratings for all tyres, even going back to the Hexhead of 58W (F) & 73W (R) are the same.
Last edited by David. on Sun May 31, 2020 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Tyre Version Codes

Post by Casbar »

I posted this on a thread on another site yesterday, when I asked the question of Michelin if I could fit a Road 5 tyre to my 1200, they said not recommended. Below is their reply from the Tech.

Hello Robert,

Thanks for the interest in Michelin tyres for your bike.

The Pilot Road 4 GT was developed while working closely with BMW to adapt the standard Pilot Road 4 to better suit the particular demands of the R 1200 RT and a short list of other bikes.  Michelin were not entirely happy with the handling of the bike when using the standard tyres, in particular when/if the bike was pushed quite hard, and we engineered a solution to ensure rider satisfaction.

The solution was to create a new casing construction with optimised ply angles, made possible by a new assembly process to increase cornering stiffness.  Cornering stifness has increased by 15% without resorting to increasing the number of casing plies which otherwise would have added approx 700g to the weight of the tyre.  This construction guarantees the stability of the bike at speed without sacrificing comfort.

The Pilot Road 4 GT remains our recommended fitment for your bike, and the standard Road 5 tyres are not recommended.  We are developing a Road 5 GT tyre, but it will not be available in 2018.

I hope that this helps,

Best regards,

2w Customer Engineering Support – Operational Marketing

Europe North and Russia
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Some interesting comments in this thread on this forum from riders who have fitted both PR4 & R5 non-GT tyres to their RT's with out any ill effects.

viewtopic.php?t=0

These are non-GT R5's after 5,500 miles on a 2015 RT, from the above thread.

Last edited by David. on Sun May 31, 2020 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

David. wrote: Some interesting comments in this thread on this forum from riders who have fitted both PR4 & R5 non-GT tyres to their RT's with out any ill effects.

/viewtopic.php?t=0

Some people also fit car tyres to their bikes. You can fit whatever you want. The reasoning behind the GT seems fair to me, so I would probably stick with the GT version if using Michelin
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

David. wrote: Some interesting comments in this thread on this forum from riders who have fitted both PR4 & R5 non-GT tyres to their RT's with out any ill effects.

viewtopic.php?t=0

These are non-GT R5's after 5,500 miles on a 2015 RT, from the above thread.

Not sure what the pictures of the tyres prove. The GT (Michelin) and HWM (Metzeler)versions have reinforced sidewalls as specified by BMW, presumably because they think a bike of that weight and payload requires reinforced tyres. If you fit anything else and have an accident you run a good chance of no insurance payout due to incorrect spec tyres fitted. Why anyone would run the risk of overloading a tyre anyway is beyond me. Tyres are the only things keeping you upright and not things to take chances with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

B787MECH wrote:If you fit anything else and have an accident you run a good chance of no insurance payout due to incorrect spec. tyres fitted.
Does that limit the choice to two tyres, Metzeler Z8 or Michelin Pilot Road 4GT for Wetheads.

Of the six tyres originally recommended for a Camhead, only Dunlop Roadsmart & Metzeler Z8 are currently still available in the correct spec.

From the printed list I have, the Metzeler Z8 is "Approved for special vehicles only". That reduces the choice to Roadsmarts only.

Do we have to follow the BMW list or can any tyre recommended by it's manufacturers fitment guide be used.
Last edited by David. on Sun May 31, 2020 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B787MECH
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

As far as I’m aware the tyres listed as “Approved” by BMW at the time of first manufacture are to satisfy the TUV legal requirements in Germany. Any subsequent tyre model of similar spec, in this case with a reinforced sidewall, I take to be suitable to use. I take the Metzeler Roadtec 01 (and now it’s SE version)to be the latest suitable spec tyre, superseding the Z8 which has been around for at least ten years and will probably be dropped from Metzelers catalogue soon.
This topic was taken up by Honest John in the Daily Telegraph and his opinion was as above. I think it’s the spec that’s important rather than the particular tyre model.

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The Metzeler fitment guide only list Z8's for the 1250, https://www.metzeler.com/en-uk/products ... rear-size=

For a Wethead 1200, both 01 (HWM Rear) & Z8's are listed, https://www.metzeler.com/en-uk/products ... rear-size=

The 01 SE looks like it's aimed at supersport and naked motorcycles, not the RT, https://www.metzeler.com/en-uk/products ... dtec-01-se
Last edited by David. on Sun May 31, 2020 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B787MECH
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

Weird isn’t it? Considering it lists the Roadtec 01 too for the 1200LC which is basically the same bike!

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

We'll have to let Honest John and the insurance companies decide that one.
B787MECH
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

As I understand it, Honest John was of the opinion that the UK insurance companies require the correct spec tyres to be fitted rather than the “Approved” tyres listed by the vehicle manufacturer, which apparently is not the case in some EU countries, particularly Germany.

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Would you therefore, only fit a Z8 to a 1250 as recommended by Metzeler the tyre manufacturer and currently OE fitment by BMW.
Last edited by David. on Sun May 31, 2020 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B787MECH
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

Personally I wouldn’t fit a Z8 to my bike as they don’t get rated as highly in tests as a Roadtec 01, which I have used extensively and think are a better suitably specced tyre.

B787MECH
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

What are you going to fit when the “Approved” tyres are no longer available for your bike? Riders of older bikes don’t stick rigidly to what was recommended back when the bike was new but fit the latest tyre of the correct spec.

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

B787MECH wrote:Personally I wouldn't fit a Z8 to my bike as they don't get rated as highly in tests as a Roadtec 01, which I have used extensively and think are a better suitably specced tyre.
Is this fitted to your 2017 Wethead 1200 for which Metzeler recommend both the Z8 & 01. What were the OE fitted tyres.
Last edited by David. on Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.