USB on the handlebars

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
NLC

USB on the handlebars

Post by NLC »

Has anyone spliced into the RH accessory socket to run a USB connector near the handlebars?
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: USB on the handlebars

Post by beemerboy9 »

No, but I don't see why you should not. The phone will not be a high-current draw item.

Changing the subject - I live in Enfield.
John Bentall
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

NLC wrote: Has anyone spliced into the RH accessory socket to run a USB connector near the handlebars?

I thought about that but given the hassle you sometimes get with any change to the cambus I bottled it.

Instead I got a small tank bag, which I was thinking about getting anyway, then bought a short Hella to USB cable which I run to the tank bag, that way I've got two USB sockets inside the tank bag but have not had to alter anything on the bike, works brilliantly. This is what I bought:
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00W42FBF ... 2EbWJFCT93

MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

What about using one of these? I had something similar on a previous bike and it worked ok.

https://www.nippynormans.com/r1200rt-20 ... ter-to-usb
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The BMW dealers & I have both spliced into the +ve switched live from the rear accessory socket on a Camhead (with CAN-bus) to supply an Autocom & GPS.

It doesn't cause any problems and the accessory socket shuts down as normal when the ignition is switched off.

Don't see why it shouldn't work on a Wethead.
gadgetgaz
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by gadgetgaz »

It's simple and straight forward to do and is certainly the neatest solution. It's really easy to access too on the LC, just remove the upper side panel. Just remember, the same as with any of the accessory sockets, if you leave something plugged in that draws power the socket can remain "live" after switching off the bike.
2023 R1205RT LE Sport Blue. Retired motorcycle cop now IT consultant and RoSPA RoADAR examiner.
NLC

Post by NLC »

beemerboy9 wrote: No, but I don't see why you should not. The phone will not be a high-current draw item.

Changing the subject - I live in Enfield.
Well hello from the other side of the tracks, Whestone, (Barnet).
NLC

Post by NLC »

Thanks for the replies. I've ordered a Hella socket from Nippy that I will run into the tank bag and then I'll run a cable out. Eventually i'd like to install some aux lights and will either splice the USB into the accessory socket or run it from one of these Hexathingyabobby that plugs directly into the Canbus. I had a Fuzebox on my old GS that I spliced into the switched live under the beak which has no issues just wanted to check as I am new to Wetheads.
Last edited by NLC on Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Bahnstormer sell one for wet head to replace standard fitting. Personally use BMW one to tankbag with two usb sockets, expensive but is waterproof not resistant.