Post-lockdown tour

Going on a touring trip? please tell us all about it. Or do you have questions on touring feel free to ask away.
gogs01

Post-lockdown tour

Post by gogs01 »

For the last 20+years I have ridden my bike over to Europe, at least once per year.
I've been as far South as Gibraltar / Sicily / Bulgaria, East to St Peterburg and North to Helsinki / Stockholm. I used to go with my wife on pillion and, more recently, with my brother and / or another riding friend.  Every trip was an adventure and great fun.
This year is shaping up to be a little different and if borders, hotels and bars aren't open everywhere before winter weather sets in it may be 2021 before things are back to "normal" for me.
I have read that Ireland is opening up before England and Wales which are opening up before Scotland, so I'm hoping that once I'm permitted to set off from Scotland with panniers and top box loaded I'll be able to get accommodation, food and drink in England and Wales, then a ferry for my first ever trip to ROI (I've been to Ulster).
My idea is to make a two week trip taking in places I've never got around to visiting in County Durham, Suffolk, Hampshire, Cornwall, Anglesey, Dublin and environs, up to Larne and back to Scotland.
Anybody else got plans for a post-lockdown tour ?
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Re: Post-lockdown tour

Post by MikeS »

I was supposed to be in France this week on a 10 day bike trip with a friend. Brittany Ferries cancelled and we opted to take a credit voucher, our plan is to reschedule the trip for the same weeks in 2021. Also, I had loosely started planning a solo bike trip to Lakes Como and Garda in the Autumn but again I've written that off until next year.

I'm hoping that Scotland reopens and accommodation becomes available sometime this year, obviously before we lose the weather. Been to the Isle of Skye and west coast a few times and its pretty stunning if you can catch good weather. Possibly the only problem is that a lot of other people may think the same thing and they'll have a glut of visitors. I believe Skye has been struggling with the numbers  in recent years anyway.

Otherwise it's going to be several overnight trips out around England and Wales.
Last edited by MikeS on Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

I had great plans for this summer, the first after retirement.  First was enjoying the Olympics, then buying an RT to be stored at my French pal's house near Avignon after a tour of the Iberian peninsula.  On the way, I was to attend a large 70th birthday celebration/reunion of a great friend in Bilbao.  I had every summer mapped out for the forseeable future with a Euopean tour (nex year was to be Britain).  Then the world "went viral".  Phhhhht to all except (possibly) the party.  What's the saying?  Man plans, God laughs. 
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

Yes the Round Britain Rally. 80 landmarks to ride to in England Scotland and Wales. Bit difficult at the moment with 2 countries in lockdown, and hotels etc still shut, but I've managed 16 of them so far. Couple of long days in the saddle this week, Tuesday 476 miles, 16 hours riding, Thursday just 306 miles and 10 hours.
Attachments
thursday east midlands.JPG
tuesday final.JPG
RTs4me
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by RTs4me »

Our summer tour plans have been scuppered too :( . We had a fifteen-day break in Germany/Austria organised, based around visiting the Garmisch-Partenkirchen BMW festival (also cancelled!), with a few days on some of my favourite alpine passes. Not happening now. The Newcastle-Amsterdam DFDS ferry is off until at least 30th June (we were supposed to go out on the 28th).

We do have a few days in Western Scotland planned for mid-August, which may be possible, then another trip to Northern Germany in September, which I hope we can do.

I'm disappointed, but my travelling pal got a new bike the week before lockdown started! Imagine how frustrated he is!

tojjer
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

We were due to go on a 9 day tour of Wales and Scotland including Skye and the NC500+.
All booked, all paid for. All hostels confirmed not looking to open until 31st July so cancelled our bookings.

We had Travelodges booked for 2 of the nights, they were saver rates so officially no refund but they've been good and given us vouchers to go another time.

Dates we were going was 13th - 21st July, so over those days we've decided to meet up and have day long rides out each day.
Absolutely gutted, was really looking forward to that trip. Done it before in the car, but never on the bike.

I suspect as you say, everyone is going to be looking at doing the same in the UK, so I assume places are going to book up quickly when they can open again.

There's always next year providing this virus' cousin doesn't decide to put in an appearance!
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

gogs01 wrote:My idea is to make a two week trip taking in places I've never got around to visiting in County Durham.
Out of interest, may I ask where you are thinking of visiting in Co. Durham.

I've lived close to either side of the River Tees all my life. When heading North and crossing the river, I like the signage which says, "Historic County of County Durham".
Last edited by David. on Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

David. wrote: Out of interest, may I ask where you are thinking of visiting in Co. Durham.

I've lived close to either side of the River Tees all my life. When heading North and crossing the river, I like the signage which says, "Historic County of County Durham".

Some time ago, a BM rider I know recommended a visit to Chillingham castle to see the wild cattle there. I'm hoping it's as interesting a place as it sounds. If you know the area and can recommend somewhere close by to stay, please advise .  ;D
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

gogs01 wrote:A BM rider I know recommended a visit to Chillingham Castle. If you know the area and can recommend somewhere close by to stay, please advise.
Chillingham is only 85 miles north of me, therefore, haven't stayed anywhere locally overnight.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

David. wrote: Chillingham is only 85 miles north of me, therefore, haven't stayed anywhere locally overnight.

No problem - there's always Booking.com !  ;D
I'll probably be travelling with my brother, so any wayside inn with rooms will be checked out .....