Plastic nose removal

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
amishmunshi

Plastic nose removal

Post by amishmunshi »

I have a 2007 R1200RT with some scratches and scuffs. I have removed all the plastics except the one under the headlight (pic attached). How do we remove this piece of plastic? There seems to be a screw behind it and the radiator is very close to the screw to fit anything to remove it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZoShEFxejGfNn7Wk8

David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Plastic nose removal

Post by David. »

amishmunshi wrote:How do we remove this piece of plastic?
I did look at doing this to paint the oil cooler, then decided it was too much chew. I believe that the headlight panel as a unit needs to be removed first. The Haynes manual shows a photo of this too. The painted oil cooler duct may then be removed from the headlight panel.

This video shows the headlight panel being installed, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu9TzwR4D1I

rangemaster728

Plastic nose removal

Post by rangemaster728 »

If memory serves there is a screw in the 12 o’clock position that holds the top of the cover on, and two ‘push pin fittings’ on the bottom of the cover (the plastic pins must be pulled out completely...not just backed out as shown in the bottom photo)

Screw location:

Push pin fittings...one bottom left, one bottom right:

The challenge is getting the top screw out...yes, much easier if you pull the headlight assembly. Look at it this way - if you yank the headlight out it’s the EASIEST time you’ll ever have changing headlamps, or converting to HID/LED lamps :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by rangemaster728 on Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.