possible convert from ST1300

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
alexl

possible convert from ST1300

Post by alexl »

Hey Everyone,

I recently came back to riding after 4 year hiatus (married/kids,etc.). I got a great deal on a 2003 ST1300, but now that i have the bug again, the wife has asked me to consider a newer motorcycle with some safety features such as ABS, traction control, etc. I always said if i ever got back into motorcycling, it would be a BMW. We went to my local Motorrad dealer and i fell for the 1250RT (wife loved the k1600B). most of my riding will be a highway commute, so the k1600 seams a bit overkill - heck the RT is overkill but i like it.

It seams that these bikes unfortunately experience quite steep initial depreciation - 3 year old motorcycles for 10k off msrp - i can only imagine that trade in on a 3 year old 1200RT is around 10-12k? Because of this, i am heavily considering purchasing a well loved 1200RT a few years old to save myself that initial hit in the pants. I am focusing mostly on 2017 and newer as i understand there were some significant upgrades in 2017. However, for a steller deal on a 2014-2016, i would be willing to bite.

I have a few friends with BMW cars who always say either lease, or trade before warranty is up. Does this hold true with BMW motorcycles as well? With all the technology, it only makes sense that repairs are costly. However, i am very handy and do all my own work on pretty much everything i own and am confident - given the correct special tools - i could maintain a 1200RT as well.
Last edited by alexl on Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Re: possible convert from ST1300

Post by BoB21 »

2017 changes quite small. Slightly smother gearbox really about it,
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

If you want your wife to accompany you on tours, then reconsider the K1600B Grand America with integrated trunk (only because she prefers the ride). If you don't then go for the R1250RT.

Not any real difference in maintenance costs between 1200 and 1250. Slightly smoother gearbox as mentioned above.

If you want real reliability buy Japanese and go for FJR1300.
John Bentall
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

alexl wrote:I have a few friends with BMW cars who always say either lease, or trade before warranty is up. Does this hold true with BMW motorcycles as well?
Perhaps BMW cars & motorcycles are being leased or on PCP deals because of the high cost to purchase outright.

From a BMW dealer, a used bike (over 3 years old) would be sold with a 2 year warranty. After that, an annual warranty can be purchased for around £400 per year. The catch is that you would have to have the bike serviced at a BMW dealer or VAT registered independent garage to maintain the T&C's of the warranty.

If you would like to do all your own servicing, then perhaps a private sale might be a better option.

Here are a couple of threads about warranties which may help to make the decision.

To Warrant or not to Warrant, viewtopic.php?p=51941#p51941

Warranty Claims, viewtopic.php?t=1.msg51940#msg51940
Last edited by David. on Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Well i would have a good look around BMW dealerships , I purchased my 2018RTLE with only 400 miles on the clock and £2000 less than the new price also that way you have the advantage of the two year warranty , like the other guys state i would have a good test ride before you choose , bare in mind that the K1600 is a heavy beast and can you haul it around ? good luck. 
alexl

Post by alexl »

BoB21 wrote: 2017 changes quite small. Slightly smother gearbox really about it,
My understanding was shift assist pro was significantly improved for 2017. Of course if the price difference is significant, an earlier model would be just fine i am sure!

beemerboy9 wrote:[size=0px]If you want your wife to accompany you on tours, then reconsider the K1600B Grand America with integrated trunk (only because she prefers the ride). If you don't then go for the R1250RT.[/size][size=78%]
[/size]
While i would love her to accompany me on trips, with 2 young children - the reality is anything more than a day trip here and there is unlikely.

hammo wrote:
[size=0px]bare in mind that the K1600 is a heavy beast and can you haul it around ?[/size][size=0px] [/size][size=0px] [/size][size=9px][/quote][/size]
[size=9px]
[/size]
[size=9px]I have ridden/owned harley full dressers as well as goldwings in the past - big heavy bikes don't bother me too much.[/size]

[size=0px]
[/size]
buzz

Post by buzz »

PM sent
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

alexl wrote: My understanding was shift assist pro was significantly improved for 2017. Of course if the price difference is significant, an earlier model would be just fine i am sure!

[/font][/size]
While i would love her to accompany me on trips, with 2 young children - the reality is anything more than a day trip here and there is unlikely.

[/size]

[/size]
I have ridden/owned harley full dressers as well as goldwings in the past - big heavy bikes don't bother me too much.[/size]

Alexl,

[size=0px]
[/size]

If you are a US or Canadian citizen, then it is most important that you state what continent you live on in your profile. Otherwise you will gets lots of helpful information which do not relate to your geography. If you are a UK citizen, then please excuse me.
John Bentall
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

If shift assist was greatly improved I would not use it on earlier model. But hit and miss but does get better with miles and experience. Abs pro also added but never used.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

BoB21 wrote: If shift assist was greatly improved I would not use it on earlier model. But hit and miss but does get better with miles and experience. Abs pro also added but never used.

I personally don't see much difference between shit assist on 2014 vs 2017. They were both good when used as designed (WOT gear change upwards. Fully closed throttle for downshifts).

However, The gearbox shifting is WAY better on the 2017 (apart from neutral into 1st gear when stationary with a warm engine...CLUNK).
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Shift assist is one feature on the bike I could live without. I tried to use it but never really got on with it. Seems to work on downshifts better for me but I'm always left thinking what's the point?
alexl

Post by alexl »

beemerboy9 wrote:
If you are a US or Canadian citizen, then it is most important that you state what continent you live on in your profile. Otherwise you will gets lots of helpful information which do not relate to your geography. If you are a UK citizen, then please excuse me.

Indeed, i am in the US - sorry for the confusion everyone.

I see a lot of 2014-2018 RTs in the 50-70k mile range, what is considered high mileage on these wetheads? Inadvisable to purchase a bike with more than 50k miles? Any major service items likley looming? i am thinking of steering head or swingarm bearings, driveshaft etc.

PeteM

Post by PeteM »

The thing that struck me most comparing a 2017 RT and my 1250 was the hill assist, on the 1250 it is seamless to the point where I pretty much use it all the time, on the 1200 it was so jerky I had to release it manually
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

MikeS wrote: Shift assist is one feature on the bike I could live without. I tried to use it but never really got on with it. Seems to work on downshifts better for me but I'm always left thinking what's the point?

I use it...but could live without it.

PeteM wrote:The thing that struck me most comparing a 2017 RT and my 1250 was the hill assist, on the 1250 it is seamless to the point where I pretty much use it all the time, on the 1200 it was so jerky I had to release it manually

True. I always release mine manually on the 2017.  However, it is (for me) a really worthwhile feature that I use really regularly.

Last edited by bandytales on Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

I like the K1600 but it is not suited to the type of riding that I do most often.  (Some commuting, leisure rides and touring. It certainly would not cope with some of the roads we like to enjoy on our Spanish tours) 

As for nearly new instead of new - sure, that does save the initial hit and is well worth considering.  I bought my RT new in January of 2013 and still have it.  As I tend not to change my bikes very often depreciation is less of an issue. 

Doing your own servicing will devalue the bike when you come to sell it.  Most looking for a used BMW consider a full dealer history as a must have.  Of course, the impact of this on older bikes is diminished.