Removing/replacing valve stem on a cast wheel

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
roadster198

Removing/replacing valve stem on a cast wheel

Post by roadster198 »

Hi All,

Can anyone help please?

I have a 2018 R1200RT LC. Whilst trying to remove the valve core from the front wheel today the plastic (I know, I know) core removal tool broke leaving bits of plastic which won't come out. So I can't remove the core.

Is replacing the whole valve stem easy enough? Looking at the parts fiche it appears that you can remove it without taking the tyre off.

https://www.jpmotorcycles.co.uk/ourshop/prod_7200909-BMW-Tyre-Valve-36317693061.html

Has anyone done this?

What is the torque figure when screwing it back on?

Thanks
Boxflyer
Been liked: 16 times

Re: Removing/replacing valve stem on a cast wheel

Post by Boxflyer »

Deleted
Last edited by Boxflyer on Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
roadster198

Post by roadster198 »

Boxflyer wrote: Yes, it's straight forward to remove the valve from the side of the spoke of the rim.
This is the part number for almost any BMW bike that has a valve at 90deg to the spoke, not the ones thru the center line of the rim.
It does have factory anti seize (BMW calls it encapsulated) on the threads and that all needs to be cleaned off and something similar to blue thread locker used again.
The torque for this is 12Nm as best as I can find...
The TPMS sender is attached with a separate aluminum shear bolt from the inside, so if you have any little broken bits that went past the valve core, they could be lodged in this hollow bolt that allows air to enter the tire while filling/releasing air.

Thanks for the quick reply.

None of the plastic has gotten inside the wheel. The valve core hasn't budged.

I've ordered a new valve stem so I'll take out my current one and replace it with the new one.

I have thread locker and a torque wrench. It was mainly the torque value I needed as once I saw the valve stem I realised I could just unscrew it and replace without to much trouble.

Boxflyer
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Boxflyer »

Deleted