ESA wiring

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Bobra

ESA wiring

Post by Bobra »

Hi all

My 2007 RT preload setting is stuck on one helmet.  The GS-911 reports a "short circuit fault" in the rear ESA.  I've traced the wiring to 3 plugs under the RHS side fairing and I assume the 3 plugs represent the damping motor, the preload motor and the preload potentiometer but which wire is which and what would I expect as a "normal" impedance for each wire?  Can anyone help or point me to a decent wiring diagram for a K26 RT please?  TIA.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: ESA wiring

Post by beemerboy9 »

If I were you, I would take the bike to a BMW dealer and get them to "re-initialize/recalibrate" the ESA strut - this is not an expensive job.

If this works (un-sticks the shock), I would then get them to install all the chassis software updates for your particular machine - one of which reduces the stroke of the shock slightly, so that it is less likely to get stuck in the future. My 2005 bike had 9 releases of chassis updates applied when this was performed.

Once everything was working I then sold the bike, so I cannot tell you the long-term performance of this fix. The electrics and motor of the shock are sensitive to corrosion and it is common problem. Some folks install a replacement non-ESA shock with good results.
John Bentall
Bobra

Re: ESA wiring

Post by Bobra »

Thanks for the input John.