DAB Radio anyone ??

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
adventureboy

DAB Radio anyone ??

Post by adventureboy »

Hi guys
does anyone have a solution for listening to DAB through thre stereo by maybe plugging a personal DAB radio into the USB or Aux in ??
or is there a different solution
cheers
Rob
Beagle

Re: DAB Radio anyone ??

Post by Beagle »

Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

I've just bought one of these, bluetooth from my phone, planet rock all day long for £2.99 and some data....
Attachments
IMG_0826.JPG
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

If your bike has a radio, an elegant solution is the cigarette-packet-sized Dension DAB+U radio.

This DAB radio is powered from the USB port and displays the radio stations as MP3 tracks in the radio display. Changing radio stations is performed the same way as changing MP3 tracks - via the Wonderwheel on the left bar. The radio does require an aerial (mounted on the top-box in my case).
John Bentall
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

Ouch! Just a bit more expensive than my solution....
Roymundo

Post by Roymundo »

Hello Beemerboy9...Will the Dension DAB=U fit in the right hand side small compartment that has the USB on my 2015 RT? Also what other options are they for the aerial location if top box not fitted, (no rude comments) would a tape type aerial stuck to the inside of a panel work? 
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Roymundo wrote: Hello Beemerboy9...Will the Dension DAB=U fit in the right hand side small compartment that has the USB on my 2015 RT? Also what other options are they for the aerial location if top box not fitted, (no rude comments) would a tape type aerial stuck to the inside of a panel work?

I think it would be a bit tight in there - and I also use a USB stick for music when travelling abroad. I mounted mine behind the speedo cluster, therefore I had to drill a hole into the RH compartment for the USB and aerial lead. I would use a blanking grommet for the hole when selling the bike.

The big problem with a DAB radio is that the aerial needs a decent ground-plane to work, quite unlike a fairly omni-directional FM aerial. Consider a ground-plane like the flat metal roof of a conventional car. I have simulated the ground-plane by removing the rubber passenger backrest from the top-box and folding several layers of aluminium foil underneath it. The aerial is a magnetic-base type mounted on a mild steel disk stuck to the top-box with double-sided tape. This method gives good radio reception. I showed it to the BMW dealer in Berlin and he was amazed.

A stick on aerial did not work for me, nor did a conventional aerial until I placed it on the lid of a biscuit tin! A Eureka moment, but how to mount a biscuit tin lid on an RT?

The 2021 RT has a DAB radio option - and I will be fascinated to see how they have done the aerial bit.

If you want to discuss some more, PM me for my phone number.
Last edited by beemerboy9 on Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bentall