Might return to BM ownership

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
ronecc

Might return to BM ownership

Post by ronecc »

[size=13px]Hi. I used to own an R1100RT back in 1997-2006, then I swapped for the new R1200RT. I did not quite gel with the 1200 for some reason, it did not seem as sturdy as the 1100. I sold the 1200 a year later because I was building a house in Portugal. In 2010, when back in the UK, I purchased a second hand 1200RT, but again sold it after twelve months and bought a GS800. That was a great bike, but for reasons I will not bore you with I sold it. In 2018 I purchased a (Sorry) Harley Davidson Sport Glide, as now being 70 I thought I would just ride chilled as my wife could no longer ride pillion. However, she now wants to be on the bike again and hopefully, her hip will hold out. I am thinking once again of going back to an RT. I have seen a 2016 RT SE with 8k+ miles on it. Is there anything I should be looking for fault wise? It would have a 24 month warranty as it is from a dealer. Any info will help. Thanks.[/size]
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Re: Might return to BM ownership

Post by hammo »

if you are purchasing from a BMW facility you should have no problems, 8000 mile it will have had only one service ? i,m not sure on that only going by my own bike history, if the 24 month warranty is with the machine thats also a nice comfort , fault wise i cannot say but have a good test ride if possible , seat comfort, wind shield protection this all needs to be taken into account , good luck.
Ed17
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ed17 »

I am in a somewhat similar situation. Don't worry about the bike, it should be fine.
Instead, go and try whether your pillion is able to mount/dismount the RT without too large an effort.
Given her described situation, that might be a problem especially if there is a topcase mounted.
Stay Safe..Ed.
..like pointing a finger away to the moon...don't concentrate on the finger!
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Didn't you ask the same question on UKGSER?. Anyway only thing to look out for really is the exhaust flap is free and working. But if coming from a dealer you would assume they have tested it. Also I would look out for an LE with all the toys, rather than the basic SE, they don't sell many SEs as by the time you add some extras, you might as well bu an LE
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Ed17 wrote: Instead, go and try whether your pillion is able to mount/dismount the RT without too large an effort.
Given her described situation, that might be a problem especially if there is a topcase mounted.

My wife has mobility problems and to help her when we stop I put the suspension to the lowest level which takes the bike down enough to make it easier. Getting on we either find a handy kerb to give her a bit of extra height or she gets on first with the bike on the side stand then moves to the rear seat, again in low suspension position.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

ronecc wrote: Hi. I used to own an R1100RT back in 1997-2006, then I swapped for the new R1200RT. I ...I am thinking once again of going back to an RT. I have seen a 2016 RT SE with 8k+ miles on it. Is there anything I should be looking for fault wise? It would have a 24 month warranty as it is from a dealer. Any info will help. Thanks.[/font][/size]

You both REALLY need to test ride these Wetheads.
For the pillion (when a top box is fitted), these are not easy bikes to get on and off. They are shorter than the likes of your lovely old 1100RT and the footpeg location makes it harder too. Once on, I am sure she will love it, as it is a comfortable perch on the back. The front seat (for many people) is an instrument of torture and often demands an aftermarket seat to make it acceptable.
Happy hunting.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I agree the stock seats are uncomfortable but getting on and off with a topbox is not an issue for my wife at 73 and a hip replacement.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Beagle wrote: I agree the stock seats are uncomfortable but getting on and off with a topbox is not an issue for my wife at 73 and a hip replacement.

Agree my wife is awaiting a knee replacement on one side and has a crumbling ankle which they don't know what to do with on the other, she is also jolly just over 5 foot.. Struggles to walk more than 50m and uses a wheelchair on bad days but if I lower the suspension she can get on OK.

Just need to figure out a way to display her disabled badge where it cannot be stolen and we will be all set
bushbikie

Post by bushbikie »

bandytales wrote:
The front seat (for many people) is an instrument of torture and often demands an aftermarket seat to make it acceptable.
Strongly disagree! The standard front seat is an essential safety device, specifically designed by the BMW Director of Safety and Ergonomics, a gentleman by the name of Marquis de Sade, to ensure that you MUST stop riding after approx 1.5hours and have a break.Well done, BMW![emoji849]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2016 San Marino Blue
scunny12
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT LE 2015
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 31 times
Great Britain

Post by scunny12 »

If you think the standard seat is an instrument of torture, just pity us who are short in the leg and are using the low seat. That really is devoid of any padding and has you squirming about after an hour. :))