General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Re: BMW advising exhaust valve sticking needing new headers at £1200+

Post by simbo »

BoB21 wrote: Mine moves every time ignition on. Must be broken!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine must be as well!!!! It's not on my RT though, It's been completely removed!! and guess what? there's still plenty of low down torque. It's also louder than an RT with a flap fitted & functional, it's been confirmed by a fellow rider who's followed us both and has first hand experience.

ps. I'm glad we have a Border Terrier, them Beagles are fooking stupid.

pps. I wonder if Denise Sheridan from BMW Customer Support "Executive" (no less) knows how to do any basic maintenance on a motorcycle?..

The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Does anyone use Bowker Motorrad to service their bike?
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

simbo wrote:

ps. I'm glad we have a Border Terrier, them Beagles are fooking stupid.

So stupid they use them as drug detecting dogs and for detecting cancer among other things.

Terriers tend to turn you into a mathematician. You end up counting your fingers after stroking them.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Beagle wrote:
I did,

Good afternoon Graham[/font]
[/font]
Thanks for your email about the Exhaust Valve. I’m happy to hear that you are delighted about the motorbike.  [/font]
[/font]
I’ve spoken to Bowker Motorrad, they advised that the exhaust valve only opens once every 30 times you turn on the ignition.  It is mainly for aiding with exhaust emissions.[/font][/font]
[/font]
I hope this is helpful, if you need any further help – please get back in touch.[/font]
[/font]
Kind regards[/font]
[/font]
Denise[/font]
[/font]
Thank you for sending your query to BMW you may be selected to participate in a short survey about how I handled your query. I’d be grateful if you could take a moment to complete this. You can opt out of this at any time using the opt-out link within your survey invitation.[/font][/font]
[/font]
BMW Group
United Kingdom

Denise Sheridan[/font][/font][/font]
BMW Customer Support Executive[/font]
Summit ONE[/font]
Summit Avenue, Farnborough[/font]
Hampshire, GU14 0FB[/font]
Tel: +44 (0)800 3256 000[/font][/font][/font]
Mail to: [email protected][/font][/color][/font][/size][/font]
URL: https://discover.bmw.co.uk/help/[/font][/size][/font]

“. I just can't understand why people talk rubbish about things they know nothing about, then others read it and believe it. But that is the way of a forum, loads of keyboard experts.”

Well that will really make me use Bowker Mottorad, because, Bahnstormers, CW Motorcycles all confirmed it has feck all to do with emissions. As for Hilltop Motorcycles who supply the snake oil mapping for the LCs, they believe its for back pressure. So that puts them to bed as well.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Beagle wrote:
I did,

Good afternoon Graham, Thanks for your email about the Exhaust Valve. I’m happy to hear that you are delighted about the motorbike.
I’ve spoken to Bowker Motorrad, they advised that the exhaust valve only opens once every 30 times you turn on the ignition.
It is mainly for aiding with exhaust emissions.
I hope this is helpful, if you need any further help – please get back in touch.
Kind regards
Denise

Thank you for sending your query to BMW you may be selected to participate in a short survey about how I handled your query.
BMW Group
United Kingdom

Denise Sheridan

Hi Beagle.
BMW customer service are talking rubbish.
That valve actuates EVERY time the key is selected on.
The only emission it really controls is noise emission, and you would have to listen very carefully to hear the difference.
The valve parks itself open.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

bandytales wrote:
Hi Beagle.
BMW customer service are talking rubbish.
That valve actuates EVERY time the key is selected on.
The only emission it really controls is noise emission, and you would have to listen very carefully to hear the difference.
The valve parks itself open.

Course they are they are only a BMW dealer backed up by BMW Uk. What do they know?

The valve moves when the ignition is switched on as part of the initialisation test that the  other bikes systems do. The 30 times are subsequent and designed to raise exhaust temp.

EXHAUST GAS FLAPS PIERBURG

This article draws on Pierburg PI 1649 service information[/color][/font]
Exhaust gas flaps are an important element in modern engines for emission control and increased comfort. Stricter legal requirements governing the control of emissions, in particular, mean that exhaust gas flaps are increasingly being used.[/color][/font]

Last edited by Beagle on Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Ok, maybe noise emissions. Here is a cut from the BMW Mottorad Magazine a few years ago, it is a long discusision, but this is the relevant bit:

[size=14px]On most automobile systems these Helmholtz resonators are strictly for noise attenuation or exhaust noise tuning (no real power gain unless you figure in that using that extra tuning chamber allows using a less restrictive muffler & higher flowing exhaust system but still meeting exhaust noise emission laws). [/size]
[size=14px] [/size]
[size=14px]By looking at the newer BMW boxers with that exhaust flapper valve it is obvious that there is no added muffler or added chamber for Helmholtz effect so that is quickly ruled out at face value (at least it was by me).[/size]
[size=14px] [/size]
[size=14px]It does appear that a few other motorcycles are using some form of Helmholtz resonation for one reason or another. I would the main reason is for noise pass-by (vehicle noise emissions) as most of these systems have appeared since the more stringent noise emission laws have gone into effect. [/size]
[size=14px] [/size]
[size=14px]I couldn't get past the noise only thing as there just isn't an obvious added chamber for the Helmholtz resonation effect to work.[/size]
[size=14px] [/size]
[size=14px]That is UNTIL a little bell went off in my head, the motorcycle systems seem to be on multi cylinder motorcycles with odd or opposed firing orders. Cha-Ching-- It appears that there might be a little Helmholtz effect available by using the cat. & the non firing cylinder pipes for the resonance chamber(s). [/size]
[size=14px] [/size]
[size=14px]I seriously doubt the gain is much but maybe just enough to measure or advertise on (I still believe the main reason for that expensive valve & control programming is noise control but there is the possibility of a very slight exhaust wave tuning due to the forward pipe & cat volume.[/size]
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Casbar wrote:I still believe the main reason for that expensive valve & control programming is noise control but there is the possibility of a very slight exhaust wave tuning due to the forward pipe & cat. volume.
Whilst the exhaust flap may principally be installed for noise control, a by-product of restricting exhaust gas flow is back pressure.

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

David. wrote: Does anyone use Bowker Motorrad to service their bike?

I do, My previous post you must have missed,

So Dealer just rang Service complete, 2hr software update that covered quite a few systems including Suspension, ABS, Gear Assist and others. Ran Diagnostic and cleared a fault on Alarm that was not detrimental. Picked up and will drop bike off with a round trip of 20miles.Cost £180. More than happy.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/pg/BowkerMotorrad/reviews/

Last edited by Beagle on Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Bowker Motorrad don't understand how the exhaust flap works or what it is designed to do.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Course they don't. They obviously do not the benefit of your expertise.  :alas:
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Beagle wrote:I’ve spoken to Bowker Motorrad, they advised that the exhaust valve only opens once every 30 times you turn on the ignition. It is mainly for aiding with exhaust emissions.
With the ignition off, the exhaust flap is open. When the ignition is turned on, the flap closes, then opens again. If the flap only opens once every 30 times the ignition is turned on, how do the exhaust gases exit the engine/exhaust system. The flap is for noise level control, not emissions.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Course it is you are correct.  :alas:
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

David. wrote: With the ignition off, the exhaust flap is open. When the ignition is turned on, the flap closes, then opens again. If the flap only opens once every 30 times the ignition is turned on, how do the exhaust gases exit the engine/exhaust system. The flap is for noise level control, not emissions.

You are wasting your time with this one. And to use Beagle favourite -  :alas:
scunny12
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT LE 2015
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by scunny12 »

Oh for the good old days when you could have straight through exhausts. Could belch plumes of blue smoke on your two strokes. Petrol at  five shillings a gallon, have a skin full of ale and a Chinese and still have change from a tenner.  Beemer me back to the 70's please ,life was so much easier!