General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: BMW advising exhaust valve sticking needing new headers at £1200+

Post by David. »

"Exhaust gas flaps are specifically dimensioned to meet the high demands in the exhaust gas system: they must outlast gas temperatures of up to 950°C, whilst closing correctly and remaining moveable during their entire service life."

Not if it's made by BMW.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

simbo wrote:
No.. It's there to keep the bike's noise output inline with EU noise regulations. The catalytic converter, the use of 2 spark plugs per cylinder and O2 sensors in the headers are there to control emissions.

Exactly :) I Can't understand why people don't just as a Tech what it is for and what it does. Once the code has shown up on the ECU, using a servo buddy will not clear it. So you need to clear the code first, then fit the servo buddy or fit the servo buddy whilst your flap is still working so no failure has been detected, but that would probably just make your flap seize as it won't be used anymore. The only reason it now throw a visual warning on the 1250s, is so you will trot along to BMW and buy some new headers so the orange light goes out. Which until your 3 year warranty runs out, is of no consequence as it will be BMW replacing for free. You could of course follow the process above and clear the fault and fit a servo buddy. Servo buddy also helps if you want to fit aftermarket headers without the flap and just fit the original headers when you want to move the bike on
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Casbar wrote:
Exactly :) I Can't understand why people don't just as a Tech what it is for and what it does. Once the code has shown up on the ECU, using a servo buddy will not clear it. So you need to clear the code first, then fit the servo buddy or fit the servo buddy whilst your flap is still working so no failure has been detected, but that would probably just make your flap seize as it won't be used anymore. The only reason it now throw a visual warning on the 1250s, is so you will trot along to BMW and buy some new headers so the orange light goes out. Which until your 3 year warranty runs out, is of no consequence as it will be BMW replacing for free. You could of course follow the process above and clear the fault and fit a servo buddy. Servo buddy also helps if you want to fit aftermarket headers without the flap and just fit the original headers when you want to move the bike on

Exactly! In three years time, that fresh shiny BMW will no longer be eco friendly, it'll be Greta's worst nightmare 😭 it should burned with fire! just like the diesel cars we were advised to buy not so long ago. I give up! I'm going starting my 2 stroke up to kill the world. Lol.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

As per the OP, the flaps seize in normal use.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Casbar wrote:
What does the bike doesn't fault mean then? If the flap is stuck it throws a fault code on the ECU. If its a 1250 and its stuck the engine fault light comes on.

It means that on the 1200 Wethead, the bike dashboard does not light up with a warning. However, when a diagnostics box is plugged in, it does generate a report that the flap is not operating - which is how I found out that mine had stuck.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

bandytales wrote:
It means that on the 1200 Wethead, the bike dashboard does not light up with a warning. However, when a diagnostics box is plugged in, it does generate a report that the flap is not operating - which is how I found out that mine had stuck.

Ok :) The bit I'm unsure about is whether it's worth lubbing the flap and seeing if that helps or just leave it on a bike under warranty and only start preventive maintenance after the warranty runs out. Knowing my luck, I would lube the spindles etc and then it would fail just out of warranty. Over the years this has been a problem, some don't have any issues, some have multiple failures (I had two sets of headers on my 2014), but nobody seems to be able to pin down why some do and some don't. After freeing up the flap on the 2015 RTp the other week, I sipped off my silencer on my 1250 and greased my flap as well :)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Those clever BMW engineers have come up with a system to monitor whether the flap is working or not.

If the flap fails within the 3 year warranty, new headers will be fitted for free.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

David. wrote: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Those clever BMW engineers have come up with a system to monitor whether the flap is working or not.

If the flap fails within the 3 year warranty, new headers will be fitted for free.
Definitely agree with you on this.
Just remember to get it checked BEFORE your warranty is up. (Is it 3 years now!).
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

bandytales wrote: Definitely agree with you on this.
Just remember to get it checked BEFORE your warranty is up. (Is it 3 years now!).

Yes 3 years now :) But not too sure about the warranty details, I know with mine that failed the first time a week after the warranty ended, BMW agreed to replace, but I had to pay a £70 contribution. This was a good move, as when it failed again 3 weeks before the 2 years was up, they replaced again, but told me if they had replaced the first time and I hadn't paid a contribution, I would not have been entitled to another two years on the part. So does that follow if something fails within the warranty they will only replace once, or was this because I was just out of manufacturers warranty. Anything you buy gets a 2 year warranty, but does free?
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

No. Bought a power washer that packed in after 6months. It was replaced but the warranty did not extend another 6 months.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Beagle wrote: No. Bought a power washer that packed in after 6months. It was replaced but the warranty did not extend another 6 months.

But in my case I was effectively buying a new set of headers with my £70 contribution, so had a two years parts warranty. But if you have a 3 year manufacturers warranty, if the exhaust flap failed x times within that warranty, surely they would have to replace.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Not a consumer expert but the difference is you paid For a new set. The fact they charged you £70 should reset the warranty to 3 years again. The bigger issue is that BMW must know this is a design fault and should produce a more robust design and issue recalls.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Beagle wrote: Not a consumer expert but the difference is you paid For a new set. The fact they charged you £70 should reset the warranty to 3 years again. The bigger issue is that BMW must know this is a design fault and should produce a more robust design and issue recalls.

Parts only get 2 years warranty, only the manufacturers warranty on new bikes is 3 years, but your theory sounds correct. But in the case of a manufactures warranty you should get replacements, however many free until warranty ends, then you are on your own. BMW changed the design of the flap at around 2017, but it has made no difference, as I had a new set and it still broke and 1250s have had seized flaps as well. It doesn't seem to be a major issue only some markets seem to experience the issue, so cost wise, its probably cheaper to replace headers than redesign a type approved system, as when out of warranty they are not bothered. Bit like the fuel strip issue, still going wrong and they are still charging for replacements
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Is this fault limited to particular model years, or just to the 1250's?
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

jackronner wrote: Is this fault limited to particular model years, or just to the 1250's?

Every year since 2014 including 1250,