BMW advising exhaust valve sticking needing new headers at £1200+

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Beagle

Re: BMW advising exhaust valve sticking needing new headers at £1200+

Post by Beagle »

scunny12 wrote: Oh for the good old days when you could have straight through exhausts. Could belch plumes of blue smoke on your two strokes. Petrol at  five shillings a gallon, have a skin full of ale and a Chinese and still have change from a tenner.  Beemer me back to the 70's please ,life was so much easier!

At last someone who talks sense.
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

Just from personal experience recently, I have a 2014 Rt, the exhaust flap had been squeaking for a while on ‘ignition on’ but then stopped. Last week fired up the bike, all was normal and went for a ride. Within a mile I had an engine management light and poor running so pulled up. Ignition off and on and the engine management light had gone out, rode the bike and with all the coughing and farting it seemed the limp home mode had activated.

Got home, linked the GS-911 and there was the exhaust flap servo and ‘fuse’ trip error.
However, if I cycled the ignition there was plenty of noise down by the valve to suggest movement of the valve.

Anyway I stripped down to the valve and it was truly stuck in the open position, but cycling the ignition the servo was working and making a lot of noise! Some generous wiggling later and the flap was free.

From my experience, under certain circumstances the flap error may cause a ‘fuse’ to blow and trip limp mode.
The sound emitting from the exhaust flap area on ignition ‘on’, may just be from the Servo setting itself so no real indication of the flap moving.
Attachments
44070AB5-6191-4E6E-A490-0A98BE1D9702.jpeg
Last edited by 7vwh on Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

This is a new one on me, nobody has ever reported a fuse trip due to the flap, most do not even know its stuck until the bike visits a dealer, but on the 1250 there is now a visible engine warning light if the flap is stuck. We have had a RTp that has been running with the flap stuck for over 3 years (until I freed it up) no visible errors, only the error code on the ECU, no limp home mode or anything. Sounds like you may have another issue going on :) Yes you are right you still hear the servo click, but its not doing anything as it can't go through its full cycle.
Last edited by Casbar on Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

The Gs911 would have thrown up a fault code if other errors were present.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Beagle wrote: The Gs911 would have thrown up a fault code if other errors were present.

It did, it told him a fuse had tripped, it didn't say a fuse has tripped because your exhaust flap was stuck. The flap could have been stuck for ages and there was a code showing for that. There have been hundreds of people reporting and talking about the flap being stuck on both RTs and GSs since 2014. Not one that I have read has ever mentioned a fuse trip and bike running rough or going into limp mode, that is why I am thinking it is something else that tripped the fuse. But that is not to say the servo may not have tripped a fuse, its just a new one that I have never seen mentioned before.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Casbar wrote:
It did, it told him a fuse had tripped, it didn't say a fuse has tripped because your exhaust flap was stuck. The flap could have been stuck for ages and there was a code showing for that. There have been hundreds of people reporting and talking about the flap being stuck on both RTs and GSs since 2014. Not one that I have read has ever mentioned a fuse trip and bike running rough or going into limp mode, that is why I am thinking it is something else that tripped the fuse. But that is not to say the servo may not have tripped a fuse, its just a new one that I have never seen mentioned before.

Its easy if the valve remains free and the fuse remains intack it must have been the servo motor in the lack of no other faults by the GS911.  Every days a school day.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Beagle wrote:
Its easy if the valve remains free and the fuse remains intack it must have been the servo motor in the lack of no other faults by the GS911.  Every days a school day.

It might have been, but as I said, nobody on any other thread has ever had a fuse trip or rough running from the impact of the flap sticking, most do not even know its stuck, but it will be interesting to see if everything stays ok, now he has freed off the flap.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Casbar wrote:
It might have been, but as I said, nobody on any other thread has ever had a fuse trip or rough running from the impact of the flap sticking, most do not even know its stuck, but it will be interesting to see if everything stays ok, now he has freed off the flap.

One cannot rely on the lack of precedent..
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Beagle wrote:

One cannot rely on the lack of precedent..

You also can rely on coincidence forming a precedence. You could always ask the exporters at Bowker if a stuck flap will make the servo trip a fuse  :alas:
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Casbar wrote:
You also can rely on coincidence forming a precedence. You could always ask the exporters at Bowker if a stuck flap will make the servo trip a fuse  :alas:

There has to be a relationship between the two faults for the coincidence to form a precedence and if there is it is not a coincidence but as a direct result.

To which “Exporters” at  Bowkers are you referring.

simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Beagle wrote:

To which “Exporters” at  Bowkers are you referring.

It'll be experts, the joys of predictive text. Thought you'd have worked that out. But no.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I had but I couldn't resist.  :alas:

Thanks for that Bimbo. Oops apologies there goes that predictive text again
Last edited by Beagle on Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Beagle wrote: I had but I couldn't resist.  :alas:

Thanks for that Bimbo. Oops apologies there goes that predictive text again

Dickhead.  :alas:
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Now Now play nicley  :alas:
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

So to recap, what is the flap for.......