Footpeg lowering.

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Beagle

Footpeg lowering.

Post by Beagle »

Anyone fit the rider kit from Nippy’s to a recent bike. The instruction are not great apparently.

https://www.nippynormans.com/wunderlich/footpeg-lowering/rider-footpeg-lowering-r1200rt-lc-r1250rt/productreviews
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Re: Footpeg lowering.

Post by simbo »

They look the same as the ones on my TC.
[attachimg=1]
Attachments
20200718_182006.jpg
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Nick Evans
Bike Model and Year: 2009 R1200RT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Nick Evans »

I have fitted these to my bike, it is easy. You are basically moving the footrest and the original pin to the end of the block, then fitting th new pin and using the grubscrew to stop it wobbling. Gear lever adjustment is easiest if you remove the whole lever and rotate around the shaft by one spline rather than trying to dick with the linkage. For the brake lever, remove the pin from the end of the piston (it is just clipped on), then adjust the end stop bolt (fit the new one if you need to) then adjust the fitting on the end of the piston rod until you have about 1mm of play between the rod making contact and not. Honestly it is easier than I make it sound.
A word of warning. Fitting these pushes the pegs down and out. The down is what you are looking for, but the out can be an issue. It is only about 20mm but it is enough that reaching the brake and gear levers can become an issue, and you end up fitting extenders to them. If you do fit extenders, make sure you put some silicone inside the gear extender otherwise it falls off. The brake extender has a grub screw.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Thanks both for your help. I’ll order them. Had cramp on bike a couple of times. Although Im 6ft am longer in body and shorter in leg but will still give them a try.
Last edited by Beagle on Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

They also put the pegs right in the position of where you put your feet down, so you either have your feet further apart or get used to putting your feet down in a different position. I'm a 32" inside leg, just for reference.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Nick Evans wrote: I have fitted these to my bike, it is easy. You are basically moving the footrest and the original pin to the end of the block, then fitting th new pin and using the grubscrew to stop it wobbling. Gear lever adjustment is easiest if you remove the whole lever and rotate around the shaft by one spline rather than trying to dick with the linkage. For the brake lever, remove the pin from the end of the piston (it is just clipped on),then adjust the end stop bolt (fit the new one if you need to) then adjust the fitting on the end of the piston rod until you have about 1mm of play between the rod making contact and not. Honestly it is easier than I make it sound.
A word of warning. Fitting these pushes the pegs down and out. The down is what you are looking for, but the out can be an issue. It is only about 20mm but it is enough that reaching the brake and gear levers can become an issue, and you end up fitting extenders to them. If you do fit extenders, make sure you put some silicone inside the gear extender otherwise it falls off. The brake extender has a grub screw.

Are they these,

https://www.nippynormans.com/f800r-f800s-f800st/wunderlich-classic-gear-lever-enlarger

https://www.nippynormans.com/touring-essentials/wunderlich-rear-brake-enlarger-r1200rt-lc-r1250rt
Nick Evans
Great Britain

Post by Nick Evans »

I have an older machine but they are the same sort of thing yes.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Nick Evans wrote: I have an older machine but they are the same sort of thing yes.

Thanks, looks like more wallet loosening.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Ok so as can be seen have installed the left side. I found it better to turn the grub screws round so they can be adjusted from the outside. So I need to adjust the gear-lever down a little. Do I adjust the rod you can see.
Attachments
60D295A7-F36C-485E-AE74-BD0EF9EDF60D.jpeg
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Bit the bullet and adjusted the rod to the correct gear lever height. Seems ok.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

If it helps anyone doing the same,

Attachments
824ADB55-491D-4DF4-9BEE-638DCDFF1388.jpeg
Nick Evans
Great Britain

Post by Nick Evans »

For anyone doing this to a pre 2010 RT, you can take the whole gear lever off and rotate one spline, it seems to be about right (it worked for me)
simbo
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Nick Evans wrote: For anyone doing this to a pre 2010 RT, you can take the whole gear lever off and rotate one spline, it seems to be about right (it worked for me)

On my 2011 the toe part of the gear lever is adjustable, I just put mine at the minimum height setting and it suited me.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Went for a ride today. Cant believe the difference the lowering kit has made. No more cramp And gear lever extension makes gear changing easier with no missed upshifts as before.