Tyre choices

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Easyrider5258
Been liked: 3 times

Tyre choices

Post by Easyrider5258 »

I have a R1250RT with about 4000 miles on it and a tour coming up in September (Hopefully) around the Picos and then the Spanish Pyrenees, expected mileage 2000 miles,

Currently have about 4mm on the rear and similar on front,  heard the Spanish roads can be hard on rubber so thinking of replacing them before the trip.

Currently fitted with Metzler Road Tech Z8 from new, but hearing good things about Dunlop Roadsmart 3, whats the view on these?  while looking at the Dunlops I have seen mention of two different types one 2 ply for heavy tourers (like mine) one for lighter sports machines but cant find websites selling the specific tourer type?
East Anglia (Fenland)
MikeS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Re: Tyre choices

Post by MikeS »

Don't if it's any help but my 1250RT has the Z8's on it. Now done 7k with 2mm front and 3mm at the back. So you should be fine to get another 2000 miles out of them. I suppose it might increase the wear rate slightly if you're two up.
Had a trip to the Pyrenees last year and Pico's 3 years ago, I thought the roads were fine, better quality than ours in fact.

Easyrider5258

Post by Easyrider5258 »

Like to think I would get away without replacing them, I'm solo on the trip, and heard the spanish use a lot of silica in their roads which provides great grip but hard on tyres (like Scottish roads apparently) I also have a R1100RT which is currently in use for local trips so the R1250 is only going to do maybe a couple of hundred miles before the trip in September
Last edited by Easyrider5258 on Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
East Anglia (Fenland)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Easyrider5258 wrote:Hearing good things about Dunlop Roadsmart 3. While looking at the Dunlops I have seen mention of two different types, one 2 ply for heavy tourers (like mine),  one for lighter sports machines but can't find websites selling the specific tourer type?
National Bike Tyres list this pair deal of F&R Dunlop Roadsmart 3's, https://www.nationalbiketyres.co.uk/dun ... t_id=36321

NBT also list the SP Single-Ply for bikes under 200kg.

Therefore, they offer the two different types. Might be worth a phone call to confirm the correct fitment for your bike.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Easyrider5258 wrote:Thinking of replacing them before the trip.
Dunlop are offering £30 cashback on tyres inc. Roadsmart III's until the end of July 2020, https://www.dunlop.eu/en_gb/motorcycle/ ... otion.html
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Dunlop have confirmed that the Product Codes are, Front 634395 & Rear 634402.

https://www.dunlop.eu/en_gb/motorcycle/ ... MART3.html#/

Both available from NBT,
Front https://www.nationalbiketyres.co.uk/dun ... t_id=36304
Rear, https://www.nationalbiketyres.co.uk/dun ... t_id=36315
Last edited by David. on Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

If heading abroad I have always taken the view that trying to get the last out of a tyre isn't worth the worry of punctures, dodgy handling or lack of wet grip.  Half worn tyres have been replaced with new on more than one occasion.  That way, I can head off for a 3000 mile trip without having to be constantly checking tread depth and worrying about finding a suitable tyre supplier / fitter.
So, my advice to Easyrider5258, for what it's worth, would be :  fit new tyres and enjoy the trip.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Easyrider5258 wrote: I have a R1250RT with about 4000 miles on it and a tour coming up in September (Hopefully) around the Picos and then the Spanish Pyrenees, expected mileage 2000 miles,
You are going on holiday.
You are going touring.
You are travelling on some brilliant roads

SO, surely the pleasure of the ride quality you get from new tyres is worth fitting new ones.  It would be for me!
RTs4me
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by RTs4me »

My thoughts are similar to gogs01 and Bandytales. Fit new tyres and it's one less thing to worry about. You'll enjoy the riding more on fresh tyres. Yes, there's a cost consideration involved, but you could always keep the removed part-worns and refit them on your return. I was once caught out, when a decent-looking front tyre was quickly worn out after a few days of enthusiastic riding around Northern Spain. Trying to find a replacement on a weekend was tricky.

I bought a spare pair of wheels (secondhand, ebay etc). I generally start a tour on new tyres, then refit my other wheels when I get back home. I 'finish off' the part worn tyres locally and then fit new rubber ready for the next foreign trip. :)
Last edited by RTs4me on Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Easyrider5258

Post by Easyrider5258 »

Thanks chaps, was always likely to replace the tyres, new pair of Metz Roadtechs Z8's from M&P on way at a keen price of £175 free delivery for the pair, I will keep the part worns as spares :)
East Anglia (Fenland)
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Easyrider5258 wrote: Thanks chaps, was always likely to replace the tyres, new pair of Metz Roadtechs Z8's from M&P on way at a keen price of £175 free delivery for the pair, I will keep the part worns as spares :)

Who will fit them and how much is the fitting and disposal of the old rubber?
Easyrider5258

Post by Easyrider5258 »

bandytales wrote:
Who will fit them and how much is the fitting and disposal of the old rubber?

All changed since my last post, the tyres from M&P did not turn up, when I rang them and told they were in stock on their website and next day delivery was promised, they said "No mate sorry, we awaiting stock (2/3 weeks) Got a refund and went to the tyre firm I usually use and they can get them for sure by next week (Metz Z8's) and the bikes booked in Fri 31st ride in ride out £240, I keep the part worn tyres on it at the moment as spares.
East Anglia (Fenland)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

If the tyre is supplied & fitted (to a loose wheel) by NBT, they charge £10 inc., new valve, balance & disposal of the old tyre.

For tyres purchased elsewhere, it's £15 per wheel for the same service.

How does this compare with other tyre suppliers/fitters.
Last edited by David. on Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michaelc2710
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

Personally I can't be bothered removing my own wheel's and then traveling to have the new ones fitted.

Fair easier to ride in have the company fit them and then ride away knowing they are fully insured if the wheel fall's off.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

michaelc2710 wrote: Personally I can't be bothered removing my own wheel's and then traveling to have the new ones fitted.

Fair easier to ride in have the company fit them and then ride away knowing they are fully insured if the wheel fall's off.

Hmmm,