Face full of brake fluid!

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
3Pines

Face full of brake fluid!

Post by 3Pines »

I'm quite pissed off, and not sure whom to aim it at.
Last night, I hit a "bump" (a 2.5 in sharp curb, in essence) at 60MPH.  Thanks much, Waupaca County WI.
At the shock, my left brake fluid reservoir "exploded", and I was treated to a face full of brake fluid.  It was no fun at 60, as I guess you'll imagine.
The reservoir did not really explode, I don't think.  Rather it either failed, or the knuckleheads at the shop who installed it a few weeks ago did so incorrectly.
There is a plate remaining, with dohickeys that look like they serve to actually attach the reservoir to the plate.

I can't imagine this is a BMW design feature.
Any thoughts?  Anybody had a similar experience?
PeteM

Re: Face full of brake fluid!

Post by PeteM »

3Pines wrote: I'm quite pissed off, and not sure whom to aim it at.
Last night, I hit a "bump" (a 2.5 in sharp curb, in essence) at 60MPH.  Thanks much, Waupaca County WI.
At the shock, my left brake fluid reservoir "exploded", and I was treated to a face full of brake fluid.  It was no fun at 60, as I guess you'll imagine.
The reservoir did not really explode, I don't think.  Rather it either failed, or the knuckleheads at the shop who installed it a few weeks ago did so incorrectly.
There is a plate remaining, with dohickeys that look like they serve to actually attach the reservoir to the plate.

I can't imagine this is a BMW design feature.
Any thoughts?  Anybody had a similar experience?

If it was only installed a couple of weeks ago take it back to the shop and get them to fix and maybe give you you some compensation as a brake reservoir should be able to remain intact in a crash let alone hitting a bump.

In the UK you would have to find out who was responsible for maintaining the road to claim for the new wheel.

One final thing, brake fluid is extremely corrosive, so I would be looking to replace my helmet if it got sprayed with brake fluid.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

"left brake fluid reservoir" is the hydraulic clutch reservoir,. its filled with mineral oil not brake fluid. 👍
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

simbo wrote: "left brake fluid reservoir" is the hydraulic clutch reservoir,. its filled with mineral oil not brake fluid. 👍

Yep, you are right, did not spot that - too overcome with the thoughts of what brake fluid would do to the helmet, bike, rider and clothes
3Pines

Post by 3Pines »

Indeed, it was the clutch fluid reservoir.

The bike was last in the shop to repair my cruise control switch (on the left handlebar).  The add-ons led to that being an $1100. service (to be fair, that included new front brake pads and new tire mounting & balancing).
Having received no call back, I stopped by the shop day before yesterday to review the situation with my friendly service advisor.  His review of paperwork (have to check my filed away version) indicated they "did not touch" my clutch fluid reservoir.
So, looks now like no warranty coverage.  Only part available is "Clutch actuator assembly" (the whole kitchen sink, including the actuator lever). $700 US.

Two years ago, I was well taken care of by these guys when they replaced the fuel pump under warranty (after some Kubuki theater).  This on a 10-year old machine.  So, maybe I'm just the windshield this time (not the bug).

Adding insult to injury, I've found that it is impossible to replace a failed headilght bulb on the side of the road.  In fact, and have not even been able to manage it after two hours of messing around.  I have many BMW vehicles.  The R1200RT is now at the BOTTOM of the favorites hierarchy.  I was pleased with how easy field replacement of headlight bulb is on my GS.
I was not wearing a helmet  :-[
Last edited by jwb on Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 334 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

3Pines wrote:I've found that it is impossible to replace a failed headilght bulb on the side of the road.
Removing the upper fairing panel (4 screws) makes access a lot easier to replace headlight bulbs.
3Pines

Post by 3Pines »

Well, it won't be the first time I've failed to see the obvious easy way!
I will look again, but decided my only option was to remove the RHS side tupperware (8 screws?)
That didn't really improve access much, as apparently you already know.
Thanks for the advice.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

3Pines wrote:At the shock, my left clutch fluid reservoir "exploded".
Just a thought, during the impact, could you have lost control of the handle bars and your left hand inadvertently hit the clutch fluid reservoir.
3Pines

Post by 3Pines »

Well, you know how big bangs are.  I am as certain as I can be that did not happen, but of course it could have.
In hindsight, I made the bang much worse by standing up on the pegs and compressing the suspension at just the wrong instant.  That said, the ESA is set on sport (stiff),so there was still some damping involved. 

There was no damage to my (cast) front wheel, so I did not exceed "design specs" (lol).  I may well have hit the stops, as it WAS a pretty big bang.
There is a flat (bakelite?) mounting plate left.  It has locating lugs and an 0-ring.  180 degrees on each side of the o-ring are what are obviously "detents" (spring clips).  The fluid res part really looks to me like it snap fits onto the plate.  There's nothing obviously broken.  The detents failed to do their job, or it was never fully "engaged", I think.
I am not going back to edit this to repair the paragraph returns again.
Last edited by jwb on Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

This parts diagram suggests that there are indeed some spares available for the clutch lever/reservoir.

The reservoir looks like it is secured with 2 screws #6 and sealed with an "O" ring #7. Both available to purchase separately.

Is there any signs of damage to the underside of the reservoir where the screws would screw into.
Last edited by David. on Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Pines

Post by 3Pines »

Hi David!  Great name (we share it).
That's similar to the in-house parts diagram my service advisor showed.  He was on an internal BMW network, I believe.  Not the same though and not what's on my machine.  Only the whole assembly (envelope 1) was available for purchase, and only with a microswitch.

I will take a photo of the plate and attach it here for posterity's sake.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
3Pines

Post by 3Pines »

As i hope you can see, there's no access from beneath the plate, so no screws.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Searching for parts for my 2012 Camhead (same as 2010),  there appears to be two options for the clutch control assembly.

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

David. wrote: Searching for parts for my 2012 Camhead (same as 2010), there appears to be two options for the clutch control assembly.

Looks like US vers are different.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Is there any evidence of the reservoir being bonded (glued) to the control assembly.

Surely that has got to have suffered from some impact and not just fallen off.
Last edited by David. on Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.