Road Rag

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Road Rag

Post by jackronner »

Don't know if I've posted this before: [size=12px]Not a misogynist here, but as a motorcyclist for over 50 yrs. and especially in the past decade or so,  I'd say that about 90% of the really out-road-rage-ous experiences were at the hands of women.  I mean, trying to run you off the road or into a barrier, opening car doors into me, etc.  Accompanied by screaming.  My usual response is that they're going to do it to the wrong guy one day, and it won't end well for them.  They seem to think that, ensconced in a vehicle, they're invulnerable against a bike (usually driven by a male), and they derive a sense of physical power, sorta like buckling on a 3000 lb. strap-on.[/size]
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Road Rag

Post by Casbar »

jackronner wrote: Don't know if I've posted this before: Not a misogynist here, but as a motorcyclist for over 50 yrs. and especially in the past decade or so,  I'd say that about 90% of the really out-road-rage-ous experiences were at the hands of women.  I mean, trying to run you off the road or into a barrier, opening car doors into me, etc.  Accompanied by screaming.  My usual response is that they're going to do it to the wrong guy one day, and it won't end well for them.  They seem to think that, ensconced in a vehicle, they're invulnerable against a bike (usually driven by a male),and they derive a sense of physical power, sorta like buckling on a 3000 lb. strap-on.[/font][/size]

Maybe different in the US, but in 50 years of riding in Europe I have never experienced road rage against me on a motorcycle. I have got annoyed at people that start to pull out and don't see me, but as a Police colleague once told me, if you have time to stop and blow your horn, then there was time and it wasn't that close. Have experienced the odd motorist when filtering who start to move over to block your progress, but if that happens, just wait your opportunity will come :)
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Casbar wrote:Have experienced the odd motorist when filtering who start to move over to block your progress, but if that happens, just wait your opportunity will come :)

Had that once on the M6 in a big jam following an accident, so I had to pull up in between lanes to wait for room to move. In the other lane just behind them was a police car, that lane moved first as they drew level with the block they stopped and had a word with them, next time they moved they opened up for me.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Casbar wrote: Maybe different in the US, but in 50 years of riding in Europe I have never experienced road rage against me on a motorcycle. I have got annoyed at people that start to pull out and don't see me, but .....

That has been my experience too.
I've seen lots of crazy stuff on YouTube, but not personally.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
emlevy
Bike Model and Year: 2015 R1200RT
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by emlevy »

For me, it’s been the increase in driver inattentiveness, as opposed to outright intentional malicious behavior.

What I have witnessed is a dramatic increase in speeding, tailgating, and ignoring traffic signals.

2015 R1200RT | 2012 R1200R Classic
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

emlevy wrote: For me, it’s been the increase in driver inattentiveness, as opposed to outright intentional malicious behavior.

What I have witnessed is a dramatic increase in speeding, tailgating, and ignoring traffic signals.

Would absolutely agree, I am a blood biker and when the lockdown was on, you really had to take care because drivers that were out were ignoring 30s and roundabouts with traffic lights were a real hazard. Then when they all started driving again, it was like they had forgot what to do, loss of skills was very evident. It seems to be getting better now.