R 1200 rt headlights

Got any tips and tricks for BMW R1200RT/R1250RT owners? feel free to share them here.
Jocke

R 1200 rt headlights

Post by Jocke »

Has anyone tested effective led pulps with resistance box, instead of ordinary H7 To RT ?

As known, without resistor canbus system does not accept lights and lights are not working.
Resistor itself is guite big box, or it is piece of metall, without any isolation, and will come quite hot.

As an example, something like this.

LED Headlight 300w 100000lm Driving fog light Hi/low Beam bulbs H4 H7 9005 9145 9006 9012 h1

https://www.wish.com/se/

Offcourse those lights are elegal, but about that I m not at this moment intrested. 🙂

Thanks !

Last edited by Jocke on Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LAF

Re: R 1200 rt headlights

Post by LAF »

These are the best to date and have been used by many. 

Most use the cooling method with braided wires but these fan units last about 5 years according to them.  I personally put a fan one in a 650 Vulcan and it is really a great light.
https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/
rangemaster728

R 1200 rt headlights

Post by rangemaster728 »

I installed the Cyclops LED lamps kit (all 3 lamps) to my 2009 R1200RT...pulling the entire headlight assembly made it much easier to fit the lamps; placing the headlight assembly upside down on a piece of carpeting insures easy access and enables proper alignment of the lamps on the first try without dinging up the lens:

I’ve had no problems with them.

Ride safe!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by rangemaster728 on Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dartman340ta

Post by Dartman340ta »

I don’t believe the led lights are illegal now.  But I do know the hid are .hid bulb life I found out was always the wrong time to burn out.  So I went led no fan, heat sink . The led put out as much light as the hid . Don’t waste your money on the cheap one’s nor the most expensive ones either. Mid range pricing are going to do you the same job just as much as the high price ones
Citroen

Post by Citroen »

I will second the Cyclops set. I just replace all of the headlight bulbs on my '08 RT with the Cyclops LED kit, for the 2005 - 13 RT. As the previous post indicated it is easier to take the headlight unit out (which is quite easy) and install the lights. I also installed LED running lights (the small top corner lights within the headlight assembly). Overall the difference is remarkable, should have done it earlier rather than burning through regular bulbs.

Mike
PatM

Post by PatM »

Whatever you decide to buy, get LEDs that are Canbus compatible. Otherwise you will get error codes.
Ride safe!
rangemaster728

Post by rangemaster728 »

Buy and install Cyclops LEDs...long service life and your hands will thank you...my hands no longer have the bruises/scratches from regularly replacing halogen lamps [emoji1787]...

bicyclenut
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT
United States of America

Post by bicyclenut »

Agreed, installed Cyclops 3 years ago and never had to replace a bulb since. Color temperature of LED bulbs is more daylight balanced so contrast at night is better looking down the road.
rangemaster728 wrote:Buy and install Cyclops LEDs...long service life and your hands will thank you...my hands no longer have the bruises/scratches from regularly replacing halogen lamps Image...

MikeR1200

Post by MikeR1200 »

[size=2px]I am trying to install HID Xenon Pro on my 2013 R1200RT but when I start the bike my lights only work for 30 seconds and turn off[/size]
[size=2px]Could you help me, I don't know what to do[/size]
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

MikeR1200 wrote: I am trying to install HID Xenon Pro on my 2013 R1200RT but when I start the bike my lights only work for 30 seconds and turn off
Could you help me, I don't know what to do

Are they drawing too much power and the canbus is shutting them down?
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
gary45

Post by gary45 »

Did you get the warning canceled required 2006 up

Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 877 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

LED and HID headlamps bulbs are now illegal to retrofit and will cause a failure on the MOT. The only way to get over the law is to have the correct reflectors but these are only fitted by the manufacturers. A lot easier with the normal 7" round headlamps as you can buy the complete unit cheaply.
I do know of one person that was stopped by the police for having an HID bulb in his bike. He was given 6 days to fix plus proof from an MOT center to check he had changed the bulb back to standard. Plus 6 points.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
Fourbears
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by Fourbears »

Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 877 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

Class 1 and 2 motorcycles
Class 1 and 2 motorcycles must not be failed for the defect ‘Light source and lamp not compatible’.

Headlamps must comply with all other requirements of the test and headlamp aim.

The motorcycle inspection manual will be updated shortly, and the ability to select the defect within the MOT testing service will be removed.

This has been changed since 2012. While we were concentrating on Brexit and Covid, the government passed more motoring laws. One includes motorcycle head lamps and the other is the modifying law. This will make it illegal to change things like aftermarket exhaust cans, frame mods, and internal engine changes. The Modify law is yet to come in at the moment but expect it to come in when all new vehicles are fitted with speed limiters.
When this law comes in you will find older 125cc bikes will have a higher top speed than a limited superbike.
Trust me I am a retired Doctor and lecturer at Oxford University of Structural and Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
JonA

Post by JonA »

Doctor T wrote: I do know of one person that was stopped by the police for having an HID bulb in his bike. He was given 6 days to fix plus proof from an MOT center to check he had changed the bulb back to standard. Plus 6 points.
The person you know is feeding you BS.
The scenario you are referring to is being issued with a 'Vehicle Defect Rectification Notice'. These are issued by the police for minor vehicle defects, they are not issued in conjunction with a Fixed Penalty Notice unless the driver / rider has (at the time of being stopped) also committed a traffic offence - speeding for example.
The time limit for rectifying the defect after being issued with a Rectification Notice is 14 days, not 6. The proof required is a receipt from the garage or mechanic where the defect was rectified. It does not have to be from a MOT test centre.
From the gov.uk website...
Being stopped by the police while driving : faults with your vehicle

If your vehicle has something wrong with it, for example a broken brake light, the police may give you a 'Vehicle Defect Rectification Notice'.

You’ll need to get your vehicle fixed and provide proof that it’s been fixed, for example a receipt for the work from a mechanic. You have 14 days from the date of the notice to show the proof to the police.