Starter button problems

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Glencoe
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT SE
Great Britain

Starter button problems

Post by Glencoe »

Advice please.
My 64 RT now has 54k miles, the starter button is having intermittent moments when nothing happens, no click and no engagement of the starter motor. At the moment after various numbers of attempts the starter will engage and the bike will start. Other times no problem at all, it will start first time.
Is this the starter button needing replaced, i guess these do burn out after a while, as I am guessing that they are simply two metal contacts that engage?
Just hoping for the easiest replacement and not something more expensive here. 
Just don't ask me to get up and dance..
Beagle

Re: Starter button problems

Post by Beagle »

Is it the button?
Toaster
Bike Model and Year: 2019 BMW R1250RT
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by Toaster »

Have you checked the connections on the Starter Relay?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

This is how the starter button is constructed on an S1000R, likely to be the same on an RT, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDta3NWGo58

Glencoe
Great Britain

Post by Glencoe »

I am hoping that it is the button. I have sprayed it with contact cleaner so far, I am not sure where to find the starter relay, sorry.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Glencoe wrote:At the moment after various numbers of attempts the starter will engage and the bike will start. Other times no problem at all, it will start first time.
Is there any relationship between the problem and the ambient temperature. The switches can be susceptible to high temperatures.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

David. wrote: Is there any relationship between the problem and the ambient temperature. The switches can be susceptible to high temperatures.
Seem to work in hotter climates of the world
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

On my 2012 Camhead, the starter button failed on a very hot day in Germany. After an overnight stay paid for by BMW, recovery was arranged the next day.
Next morning, tried to start the bike before the recovery arrived and it worked. Road the bike to Kassel to have the switch replaced.

Back in the UK on a separate occasion a BMW roadside assistance tech. told me that the switches don't like heat and can fail.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

David. wrote: On my 2012 Camhead, the starter button failed on a very hot day in Germany. After an overnight stay paid for by BMW, recovery was arranged the next day.
Next morning, tried to start the bike before the recovery arrived and it worked. Road the bike to Kassel to have the switch replaced.

Coincidence or the likes of Saudi police will be in schtuk.
Glencoe
Great Britain

Post by Glencoe »

According to the video, it would appear that the contacts are completely sealed, so would think no corrosion/dust problems.
I have experienced heat problems before in Tuscany but not heat problem this time. Even in the garage on a cool morning i have had the same problem.
The dealer can't help for a few more weeks as they are busy along with a shortage of staff.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Glencoe wrote:I have experienced heat problems before in Tuscany.
Was that with the switchgear.
Last edited by David. on Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Col

Post by Col »

I haven't had any problems with my 2016 RT, but I did with my 2008 GS. If I remember correctly, someone on UKGSer commented that it was the ignition switch itself which was faulty. I used to get it frequently with the GS but I would just switch it off, set the alarm, leave it for a minute, then release the alarm and it started. It was not heat related as i live in Scotland be
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Col wrote: I haven't had any problems with my 2016 RT, but I did with my 2008 GS. If I remember correctly, someone on UKGSer commented that it was the ignition switch itself which was faulty. I used to get it frequently with the GS but I would just switch it off, set the alarm, leave it for a minute, then release the alarm and it started. It was not heat related as i live in Scotland be
Makes sense.
Glencoe
Great Britain

Post by Glencoe »

Yes David, it was the starter button, on my RT, the bike sat in the midday sun as we went for lunch waiting for the ferry. Wouldn't start, breakdown recovery took it to the dealer where the bike sat over the weekend in the underground workshop. When I went to collect the bike mechanic said, 'no problem'. Pressed the button, bike started,
he said... 'use wet tissue to cool the switch'. I thought he was joking, but apparently not.
This morning tho, when the bike wouldn't start, someone suggested putting bike into neutral, and it started. Therefore deduced that it must be the safety switch attached at the clutch lever to be faulty?
Hopefully solved the issue?
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

It must get hotter in Germany & Tuscany than in Saudi, apparently the local Plod don't have any problems with the heat affecting their switchgear.