SOFT THROTTLE

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
mondeoman
Wales

SOFT THROTTLE

Post by mondeoman »

Very recently changed from a 2016 1200 RT LE to a brand new 1250 RT LE, the 1250 throttle action is "soft" , by that I mean that the 1250 twistgrip for a given movement gives a lower and gentler rev'increase than than the equivalent movement on the 1200, it's less "aggressive"
I've tried 2 other 1250's and they were the same, I'm assuming this is a characteristic of the 1250 "shiftcam" engine, anyone else noticed this ?
Mondeoman
Boxflyer
Been liked: 16 times

Re: SOFT THROTTLE

Post by Boxflyer »

Are you in RAIN mode with ASC (Riding Pro), vs ROAD or DYNAMIC?
The will switch with a corresponding change of the suspension settings of the Dynamic ESA to SOFT, NORMAL, or HARD.
mondeoman
Wales

Post by mondeoman »

Boxflyer wrote: Are you in RAIN mode with ASC (Riding Pro),vs ROAD or DYNAMIC?
The will switch with a corresponding change of the suspension settings of the Dynamic ESA to SOFT, NORMAL, or HARD.

all settings same on both bikes, ie Dynamic etc, my thinking is the "shiftcam" has a mild cam operating at the lower end of the rev' spektrum which gives a gentler lift to the inlet valves and also staggers the lift to each inlet valve and hence gives a gentler reaction to the throttle response, as the revs increase the higher lift cam imperceptibly comes into play to give more power, ie,136 bhp, with a much stronger mid and high power response, I've got all this from BMW w/site.
Mondeoman
mondeoman
Wales

Post by mondeoman »

Mondeoman
long Island

Post by long Island »

I had a 2016 R1200RS and switched to a 2020 R1250RS and noticed the same thing. The throttle response at low RPM is much more gentle on the 1250 than it is on the 1200. On the 2016 bike I generally used Road mode, but I've been using Dynamic on the 1250 which makes it feel around the same. I'm guessing BMW was going for very refined slow speed control with the 1250, which is clearly important on the GS. They have also eliminated a slight low RPM snatch that the 1200 had.

I jst test rode (and purchased) an R1250RT. I noticed the same thing so rode it in Dynamic mode.
guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

It's impressive that BMW have been able to tame the characteristics of their modern fuel injected, emission constrained engines. The majority of modern motorcycles seem to exhibit snatchy, on/off throttles that require slipping clutches and extremely delicate throttle inputs, taking all the enjoyment out of riding.

Toaster
Bike Model and Year: 2019 BMW R1250RT
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by Toaster »

Yes....I noticed the same on my 2019 R1250RT. When compared to my previous 2014 R1200RT it has a very much softer feel and strangely makes my wrist ache, possibly because the throttle has to be rotated further.
mondeoman
Wales

Post by mondeoman »

Toaster wrote: Yes....I noticed the same on my 2019 R1250RT. When compared to my previous 2014 R1200RT it has a very much softer feel and strangely makes my wrist ache, possibly because the throttle has to be rotated further.

I'm pretty sure the total movement of the twistgrip on both is the same,  but you're right that  more rotation is required to get the same engine response, selecting dynamic does improve it, but you do get used to the new throttle and of course when the hi' lift cams engage "Whooof"  :beee:
Mondeoman