Seattle, WA - Daily Commuter / R1200 RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
billsaas

Seattle, WA - Daily Commuter / R1200 RT

Post by billsaas »

Hello all, don't know if I have the correct location to make this ask but I'm looking for someone who's daily commuted on the R1200 RT that lives in the Pacific Northwest, Washington or Oregon state, someone that's daily commuted with this bike in a very wet / rainy climate?  I'm after my first R1200 RT for my wife and I and currently have a V-strom 1000 and a Goldwing :)  Thanks in advance -
Last edited by billsaas on Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Re: Seattle, WA - Daily Commuter / R1200 RT

Post by exportman »

wrong side of the pond, but I use mine as a daily commute across Manchester UK  (AKA Rainy city UK)
billsaas

Post by billsaas »

Thanks for the feedback, looks fairly close, Seattle gets 37" per year and Manchester gets 31" per year, how many miles do you commute per day and all fair well?
Last edited by billsaas on Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed17
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ed17 »

Hi,
You might want to take a look at what kind of bikes your local PD or HP use.
Police over here, in most of the countries, use RT's.  'Nuff said?
Take care..
Ed.
Last edited by Ed17 on Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
..like pointing a finger away to the moon...don't concentrate on the finger!
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Hi

The commute depends on which office I'm going to  nearest one  then its around 12 miles across the center of Manchester  Usually about 30 mins or so.  Head office is  around 1 hour.  I use the bike as if I take the car I can double the travelling time.  Every other weekend I am out with the Local IAM Roadsmart group  that's usually 3+ hours.

Weather protection is good I'm 5'10" the standard screen keeps the water off my torso just my arms and shoulders in the rain when moving. I keep thinking about fitting some hand guards in the winter to keep the cold wind off the back of my hands.  If its only going to be drizzle not heavy rain I can get away with jeans rather than waterproof trousers on the sort commute.

Hope this helps
billsaas

Post by billsaas »

Thanks very much guys for all the input, really appreciate it!  Now to find my new ride :)
Seattle1260
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT, 2015
United States of America

Post by Seattle1260 »

Hi,

Just saw your post.  I live in a small community south of Seattle and (in "normal" times) commute on my RT to Seattle on a daily basis.  Frequently, I travel to Everett as well.

I feel the RT has been an excellent choice but there are three things that I would highly recommend:
1.  Auxiliary lights
2.  RT Rider Modes (Rain mode)
3.  Proper rain gear

Since our daylight hours in the winter are so short (latitude and weather), no matter how proficient a rider you may be, everything can change quickly if a driver does not see you.  Also, I make good use of, and frequently change the rider modes during the commute.  The BMW computer does a pretty good job of helping with traction control.

If you choose to commute in the PNW year long on a bike, the RT should definitely be a bike to seriously consider.
srpuywa

Post by srpuywa »

I commuted from Puyallup to Seattle and Everett on a GSA, RT and K16GT.  Traffic has gotten worse.  Get a bright yellow or orange aerostitch one piece suit
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Seattle1260, Same wavelength here on making yourself visible (especially in California, where we can lane split/filter).  Ideally, auxiliary lights as high up as possible with a flashing feature.  I have this on my fork fog lights, and during the day I turn them on along with my high beam (unless the day is too dark).  I periodically switch edges of the lane so car up front can know I'm back there. 

Exportman,  One of my complaints about the fairing is that it channels air/rain right up you sleeve.  I cut some thick plastic rectangles and screwed them to the upper surface of the rear view mirrors (make sure you've zip-tied the mirrors to the frame, or you'll lose them in a high cross wind - as I did).  Curious to know if they re-designed the fairing to cure this problem after 2010.

What I do like in the rain is the dual brake action.  On my other bikes (no ABS, ESA, etc.) I alway found that in emergency braking, trouble was alway found by the rear end going sideways from over-stomping on the footbrake. I've tried not to hit the footbrake at all, but it's hard to shed old habits.  Strangely, I've found on both my 2005 and 2009RT's that the footbrake seams very weak when applied alone;  but at least this lessens the bad effects if you hit it during an emergency. 

I got an extra-wide screen, and I'd recommend it for rainy/cold weather,  especially when you want to gamble a bit and not put on your rain gear.

Do you ride with all the historically bad air up there?  We beat you guys out for the world's worst down here in the Bay Area for a couple of days, but I took the bike out.  At least we all already have the masks!  Good luck in the rain and smoke, and stay well.