Navigator vi

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Nick Evans
Bike Model and Year: 2009 R1200RT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Re: Navigator vi

Post by Nick Evans »

Sadly the BMW sat navs are all based on Garmin architecture. Tomtom system is miles better for live traffic and camera alerts. I am seriously thinking about getting rid of mine and replacing with TT, no more basecamp, better fasterer system and no more disappearing down farm tracks.. I am also not sure that the Nav 5 is even designed as a motorcycle system (apart from the case).
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I too have had Tom Toms and more than happy with this Motorrad version of the Garmin. The speed cameras are picked up really well and it bleeps when near them and 3 times if I go over the speed limit. It highlighted some Minor  roadworks for 1.2 miles yesterday and coupled with the integration with the bike systems I wont be switching any time soon. There is no doubt this is a specific motorcycle Sat Nav and much more.
Graham88
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Graham88 »

All of that data is available on the Nav V
Nick Evans
Great Britain

Post by Nick Evans »

Beagle wrote: I too have had Tom Toms and more than happy with this Motorrad version of the Garmin. The speed cameras are picked up really well and it bleeps when near them and 3 times if I go over the speed limit. It highlighted some Minor  roadworks for 1.2 miles yesterday and coupled with the integration with the bike systems I wont be switching any time soon. There is no doubt this is a specific motorcycle Sat Nav and much more.
Each to their own. I can find no way of reporting a map error on a Garmin, and Garmin themselves say that maps are provided by a third party so fill in a form and we will pass it on, compared to TT, push a button on screen to mark error, go back later and review / suggest updates, submit to TT. I have paid for Cyclops (£25/y) yet it has never flagged mobile vans, compare to TT (free), where it always has flagged them, and it asks you if the van is still there. Streets ahead in my opinion. My only reason for using a BMW system was that I though there would be a bit more bike integration, as it happens there is none on my machine (should have done my research)
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Graham88 wrote: All of that data is available on the Nav V
Does the V have these,

Attachments
DFC50FCD-9D5E-4D80-9B85-4D5E251B30EC.jpeg
MikeS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Pretty sure it does.
Nick Evans
Great Britain

Post by Nick Evans »

Mine does not
Graham88
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Graham88 »

Beagle wrote: Does the V have these,
It does, and the 'Last Ride' page has all the same data.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Beagle wrote: Does the V have these,

Yes it does, but the availability of the information is driven by the bike year, not the Nav. So if you put my Nav VI onto the 2014 bike in my garage, the data doesn't show. But if I put the Nav V from the same bike onto my 1250, the data does show.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Nick Evans wrote: Sadly the BMW sat navs are all based on Garmin architecture. Tomtom system is miles better for live traffic and camera alerts. I am seriously thinking about getting rid of mine and replacing with TT, no more basecamp, better fasterer system and no more disappearing down farm tracks.. I am also not sure that the Nav 5 is even designed as a motorcycle system (apart from the case).

Few points above need clarification. I have never used Basecamp for route planning, you can use whatever you want and just export the gpx file to the Nav. Every one of the Nav has a pretty much equivalent Zumo model, so think mostly its just a Zumo put into the Nav case and integration to the bike added. Live traffic is fine on my Nav VI and I don't remember it being any different on the V, not sure what else you need, it tells me if there is a delay and asks me if I want to re-route. Disappearing down farm tracks, well, I use the system of if the road or track doesn't look suitable, I don't ride down it, I bypass and the Nav re-routes me. But you obviously don't get that issue if you use software to plan your route. The Nav VI is plenty fast enough, not sure what I would want it to do quicker. I have used Garmin for years, so I much prefer Garmin to any TT, but that probably is also familiarity to Garmin.
Tourpeete

Post by Tourpeete »

HI,
Hope you are well, What is the difference between Garmin or using Google on the phone?
Do you use the phone with Bluetooth....is it easy ?
I am afraid that takes away focus from the road?
THanks
Peete
Tourpeete

Post by Tourpeete »

HI,
Thanks so what is the difference with the Google map. Why is Garmin better?
Do you use the phone on trips?