Help me plan a tour to Patagonia (Argentina) please!

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
MattyP
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Help me plan a tour to Patagonia (Argentina) please!

Post by MattyP »

Hello all.  Can I pick your brains regarding a possible trip to Argentina in Jan / Feb 2022 please? I am especially keen to hear from anybody who has ridden in this area.  We intend to follow the east coast route from Buenos Aires to Punta Arenas / Ushuaia visiting a number of ports my father visited whilst on the Atlantic convoys in WW2.  The distance is about 1500 miles and we (mate and I) want to hire a couple of road bikes / tourers in Buenos Aires and then drop them off when we get to Punta Arenas.  Reputable companies? Possible costs? Things to consider? Any advice or wisdom would be gratefully received including thoughts on decent quality but affordable accommodation options.  We thought a couple of weeks / 10 days ish would be plenty of time to ride each day whilst being able to get off the bikes to have a 'look see'.  Any thoughts on 'must see' locations etc would be welcome. 

Thanks in advance.  We are in the very early stages of thinking this through so please treat it as a blank canvas opportunity!

Cheers.  Matt.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Re: Help me plan a tour to Patagonia (Argentina) please!

Post by jackronner »

Sounds epic.  Having met a Brazilian on his loaded old [size=78%]R1000 in Montana on his way back from northern Alaska, he said he'd done 26k miles already, and was heading home to near Rio.  And I'd been bragging on a 10k tour around the US!!  Tried to Google map it, and apparently herniated  the system with no results.  It'll be a great ride, I'm sure.  Che Guevara did it, two-up, on an old 1939 Norton 500cc single-banger.  Now THAT was impressive.[/size]
CarbonB55

Post by CarbonB55 »

Its all in these videos , full tour of South America until the virus threat cut her adventure short but she will return at some point .
[size=2px]https://www.youtube.com/c/ItchyBoots/videos[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
MikeS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

I'm fairly certain you must have come across this website:

https://advrider.com

Probably get a lot more info on there as it seems to be populated with world travellers.

Last edited by MikeS on Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MattyP
Great Britain

Post by MattyP »

Many thanks to Mike, Carbon B55 and Jackronner for your valuable input.  I'll be following up on your suggestions and advice.  Much appreciated and sorry for the delay in replying but I've only just got back from touring in Northern Ireland for a week in the sunshine  8)  Matt
Reginald

Post by Reginald »

Hi Matt,

I rode this route with a Globebusters trip in 2007. Few year ago now, but I doubt much has really changed in terms of distance, infrastructure etc.
Check out Globebuster.com web site, they have got some trips down that way, I' sure.
If I can help further, come back to me.
Paul
MattyP
Great Britain

Post by MattyP »

Hi Paul.  Many thanks for your help with this.  I have enjoyed exploring the globebusters website - they clearly are experienced operators and have a very wide range of trips. Might need to save up a bit first - it's all a bit pricey (to be expected).  I may well get back to you at some point in the future as / when I firm up my plans.

PS.  I too ride a 2017 RT LE........ absolutely love it!  :)

Matt
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 230 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Try this site -
https://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/
They have regular meetings, their forums are a priceless fund of knowledge. Thoroughly recommended!