### 2020 R1250RT Leaking Front Brakes After Recall Video ###

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Graham88
Been liked: 1 time

Re: ### 2020 R1250RT Leaking Front Brakes After Recall Video ###

Post by Graham88 »

Its almost a certainty that cost was a factor in moving away from Brembo but cheaper doesnt necessarily mean worse. I can't say anything negative toward the hayes system so far. While the leak is an embarassing way to launch their new partnership, it happens, and on the whole it has been dealt with swiftly apart from this poor chap.

The issue has always been described as a weeping but in the OPs second video the fluid is running down his fingers, there surely can't be any debate about that being a warranty job... what is the latest from your dealer sir?
Motor32
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT '23
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
United States of America

Post by Motor32 »

hammo wrote: Sorry to hear you are having this problem, across the pond here i would hope that the reputation of the local BMW dealer would ensure you got the problem resolved , its sad that you pay that amount of money and have concerns with the bike , i own a 2018 RT and was considering changing to a 1250RT as it approaches three years old but it certainly makes you sit back and think again about the problems with the new 1250RT. Do hope you get it sorted out .
I would wait and not buy one. Maybe after it gets updated and they put Brembo's back on the bike, along with a TFT display.

Steve
Motor32
United States of America

Post by Motor32 »

Graham88 wrote: Its almost a certainty that cost was a factor in moving away from Brembo but cheaper doesnt necessarily mean worse. I can't say anything negative toward the hayes system so far. While the leak is an embarassing way to launch their new partnership, it happens, and on the whole it has been dealt with swiftly apart from this poor chap.

The issue has always been described as a weeping but in the OPs second video the fluid is running down his fingers, there surely can't be any debate about that being a warranty job... what is the latest from your dealer sir?
The dealership / BMW want these calipers back in their hands but the governmental agency here in the USA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) wants to see them first, so stay tuned!!!

Steve
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Isn't there a UK BMW recall for the leaking caliper issue? I've read there is on a few GS Facebook pages.
Last edited by simbo on Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

simbo wrote: Isn't there a UK BMW recall for the leaking caliper issue? I've read there is on a few GS Facebook pages.

There is no UK recall. Think there is a world of difference between the US litigation system and the UK and European. In the UK, owners look and if it's leaking they go to the dealer. A recall in the US is asking all owners to take their bikes to a dealer for them to check if the callipers are leaking. There has been no UK recall mentioned on UKGSER, where there has been a lot of threads about leaking callipers over the last couple of years. I did read one post that a BMW tech wrote, and he was saying he had fitted quite a few seal kits, which sorted the leaking callipers, which was as a result of a manufacturing issue. The replacement callipers with a different part number, are just callipers that have had the fault sorted, so the same callipers with seals which seat correctly. Even if leaking there apparently is no safety issue and performance of the brakes are not impacted. Mine have never leaked, and I have not been contacted about a recall.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Casbar wrote: [size=78%]
[/size]
Well there you go then, can't argue with your experience and reasoning.

I try to acknowledge there are those that may have different experiences and reasoning and like to think others may do the same.
Motor32
United States of America

Post by Motor32 »

Hey Guys,

In this short video (11 seconds) you can hear air getting sucked into the calipers while pumping the brakes, the sucking sound is when the lever is released. The Department of Transportation (DOT in the USA) is suppose to be talking to BMW today. My bike has been sitting for over three weeks without being rode.

Steve

[/sihttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Tu3t5cy5OQze]

Motor32
United States of America

Post by Motor32 »

[size=7px]Hey guys,[/size]
[size=7px]
[/size]
[size=7px]I just talked to BMW, it looks like they want to inspect the brake calipers on my bike on Wednesday the 21st. They said they'll pick up the bike the day before and two BMW engineers will be there when they do the inspection. I asked him if it would be filmed (as I think it should be), but he didn't say that it would be, he wasn't sure. The guy at the Department of Transportation will be on a zoom call while they remove the calipers and are inspected. They're having my bike taken to a dealer where it has never been serviced. They said they'll install new calipers at that time, then deliver my bike back to my home. Fingers crossed they can resolve this.[/size]
[size=7px]
[/size]
[size=7px]Steve[/size]
Motor32
United States of America

Post by Motor32 »

Hey Guys,

Off to the dealership today. This is the fifth time for the leaking calipers. See the quick video below.

Steve

[jwp=425,344,image]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICZi-f3nyJo[/jwp]
Motor32
United States of America

Post by Motor32 »

So my bike was inspected by two BMW engineers yesterday and also a NHTSA investigator, below is a email from the NHTSA investigator. These are the replacement Hayes calipers from the recall. I've had NO RESPONSE from BMW to any of my emails, amazing!!!!!!!

Steve,

We were able to view the inspection and they confirmed that both calipers were leaking. So now those parts are being sent to Germany for analysis to determine the exact origin(s) and they’ve agreed to update us regularly. They were going to get new calipers for your bike and double check them to confirm there’s no leakage before returning the bike to you.

I can also add that we had them check for any signs of other leaks in the system, all the way from the brake reservoir down to the calipers and the inspector indicated everything was dry. I also had him grip the brake firmly for an extended period to judge whether the leak was fast or slow and it must have been very slow because it didn’t get visibly worse in that short amount of time. He did note that the fluid in the sight glass was only about half way up, but I’m not sure how much fluid loss that represents.

BMW indicated they wanted to make sure the vehicle was checked and ridden by one of their techs to be certain of no leakage before returning it to you, so you may want to ask about what checks they did to ensure that. And of course let us know if you detect anything wrong.
Last edited by Motor32 on Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Motor32
United States of America

Post by Motor32 »

I just got my bike back after the fifth time at the dealer and now have my third set of Hayes calipers in six months on my bike, not good. I'll let it sit for a few days to make sure there's no drips as recommended by the investigator at NHTSA.

Steve
Last edited by Motor32 on Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scunny12
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT LE 2015
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by scunny12 »

Wow, not good. Glad I've  got Brembo's on mine.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

scunny12 wrote: Wow, not good. Glad I've  got Brembo's on mine.

Not good, but you only hear about the ones that have issues, not the 1000s of bikes that don't I have a 1250 a year old, its now done 5k, no issues. Our Blood Bike group has two 1250s, no issues, there are at least 5 in our group privately owned, not one has had an issue. So it is not every bike. And as I've said before, I actually think the Hayes brakes are better than the ones on the Brembo bikes we have. But that is not necessarily down to the calliper alone, might be pads etc. But I like them a lot.
Motor32
United States of America

Post by Motor32 »

Three strikes and your out!!!!! Four days after getting my third set of Hayes calipers installed and they're leaking again. This bike has been in to the dealer five times for the same issue, crazy.

Steve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQVfHtkUcNw
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

That is unbelievable, could they possibly have old stock or something. I can honestly say I have not heard on any forum anyone that has had the recurrence of issues you have had. If people have had issues, they seem to be sorted with one visit. Can you reject the bike?