Motor32
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT '23
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 10 times
United States of America

### 2020 R1250RT Leaking Front Brakes After Recall Video ###

Post by Motor32 »

Hey Guys,

I made these 2 videos of the ongoing leaking Hayes brake calipers on my 2020 R1250RT, This is my first BMW. In the videos these are new replacement calipers after the recall that still leak. Below is the brief history of my BMW experience.

#1 Prior to purchase was told the 2020's didn't leak = leaking after first ride home.

#2 I've had the rebuild kit installed (600 miles) = still leaking.

#3 Replaced the calipers (6000 miles) = still leaking.

#4 Returned to the dealer and told the fluid leaking was just "residual" under the bleeder caps (6250 miles) = still leaking (even after returning home, days later, still leaking).

Steve in Arizona, USA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h3htjt6nm4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InyT6SPUyYA[/size]
Last edited by Motor32 on Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: ### 2020 R1250RT Leaking Front Brakes After Recall Video ###

Post by Casbar »

I am on quite a few GS and RT forums, and I have never seen anyone with two leaking callipers and nobody who has had the kit or the replacement callipers fitted have had any other leaks. You must be really unlucky. I have a 1250RT and we have just bought a 2020 RT for Blood Biking and luckily no issues with the callipers. Must be really frustrating. Keep us updated :)
Motor32
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT '23
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 10 times
United States of America

Post by Motor32 »

The law here is if you have a defective vehicle and they haven't been able to fix the issue after four times, you can sue and get your money back, it's called a "Lemon Law". This is a serious safety concern and I don't want to ride this new motorcycle. Sad!!!!!!!!!

Steve
Toaster
Bike Model and Year: 2019 BMW R1250RT
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by Toaster »

Hi Guys,

Shortly after delivery of my 2019 R1250RT I did notice what could only be described as a 'slight but definite seepage' of brake fluid on the front rim and RHS caliper. I cleaned it off and kept an eye on it, but the issue did not return.

Cheers

David
Arek
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by Arek »

You're very unlucky with your bike. I'm sorry to hear that, as that probably drag you away from BMW potentially.
I have 2019 R1250RT and nothing wrong wit it. maybe I am lucky with my bike, but so far all good.
This year wasn't great for trips so I have only slightly over 6K on it (miles).

hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Sorry to hear you are having this problem, across the pond here i would hope that the reputation of the local BMW dealer would ensure you got the problem resolved , its sad that you pay that amount of money and have concerns with the bike , i own a 2018 RT and was considering changing to a 1250RT as it approaches three years old but it certainly makes you sit back and think again about the problems with the new 1250RT. Do hope you get it sorted out .
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Sad that BMW ditched the Brembo brakes that have served them so well over the years. Had 3 bikes over the years and the brakes were seen by me as an upmarket addition. The 1200 Rt I have has oodles of power and torque both lowdown and high rpm and I always ride with a passenger. I have never found it wanting therefore I fail to see the benefit of dual valve timing in light of the additional complexity and queried reliability for ageing bikes. The flapper valve has been a source of problems I wonder if this mechanism will prove to be the same.
Graham88

Post by Graham88 »

Beagle wrote: .... I have never found it wanting therefore I fail to see the benefit of dual valve timing...
Not just about power, also have to consider fuel economy, emissions and the general character of the engine - all of which can be influenced by VVT
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Graham88 wrote: Not just about power, also have to consider fuel economy, emissions and the general character of the engine - all of which can be influenced by VVT
I don't consider it variable ( no matter what the blurb may say), its dual, either one set of cams or another. I get 60 mpg and like Ive said the engine delivers all the power and torque I am more than content with. The issue is does the change in characteristic warrantor/justify the increase in complexity and the question regarding reliability.
Graham88

Post by Graham88 »

It may not be continuously variable, or infinitley variable but it is undoubtedly variable in that changing from one to another is varying.
The reliability question is fair, but I have not heard of any failures yet and the three year warranty certainly allays my fears. As far as the brakes go I really don't care what brand is stamped on the front, it means very little in today's world, as long as they perform (and tests have shown that to be the case). Even a screw up in manufacturing the new calipers is forgivable, it happens.
The real problem is the shoddy customer service that BMW are providing, further proof that brands aren't every(any?)thing.

Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Beagle wrote: Sad that BMW ditched the Brembo brakes that have served them so well over the years. Had 3 bikes over the years and the brakes were seen by me as an upmarket addition. The 1200 Rt I have has oodles of power and torque both lowdown and high rpm and I always ride with a passenger. I have never found it wanting therefore I fail to see the benefit of dual valve timing in light of the additional complexity and queried reliability for ageing bikes. The flapper valve has been a source of problems I wonder if this mechanism will prove to be the same.

Brembo have had their share of issues, had a nightmare with Brembo callipers on a Ducati, leaking, fading, so they are not the silver bullet. The Hayes brakes seem to work better, there are loads of people (me included) who prefer the feel and there is never any fade.The 1200RT (my 2014 anyway) had a very pronounced flat spot, the 1250 feeling is spot on and no flat spots. Flapper valve, still the same on the 1250, mine is ok, but a make had new headers after 1000 miles, so no change there, except a 3 year warranty.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Casbar wrote:
Brembo have had their share of issues, had a nightmare with Brembo callipers on a Ducati, leaking, fading, so they are not the silver bullet. The Hayes brakes seem to work better, there are loads of people (me included) who prefer the feel and there is never any fade.The 1200RT (my 2014 anyway) had a very pronounced flat spot, the 1250 feeling is spot on and no flat spots. Flapper valve, still the same on the 1250, mine is ok, but a make had new headers after 1000 miles, so no change there, except a 3 year warranty.

Fade is more down to pad material rather than the  caliper as the heat dissipation on a normal road bike is very good. I can only assume the switch from Brembo was a cost saving issue.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Beagle wrote:
Fade is more down to pad material rather than the  caliper as the heat dissipation on a normal road bike is very good. I can only assume the switch from Brembo was a cost saving issue.

Yes I understand what fade is, I raced bikes and Caterham Sevens for around 10 years. I was just stating that I experienced fade with the Brembos on my 2014 RT and so have many on GS's with Brembo callipers and BMW pads (assume Brembo). But many seem to report there is no such fade with the Hayes callipers or whatever pads they are now using. Hayes used to supply callipers to Harley as well so it's not a new venture. The obvious assumption is cost, it always is when there is a change. But that is not necessarily the reason. I read an interview which was held with a member of the BMW design team and they categorically denied it was cost and more about striking a strategic partnership. But would they say cost anyway - who knows. But going back to the original question, most once they get over the callipers don't have a Brembo badge, seem to like them better, not withstanding the leaking issue, which mostly seems to have been sorted, apart from the unfortunate OP.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Having had3 Bmws with Brembo brakes I have never experienced brake fade or leaks There is of course the Abs system which will influence the feel of brake calipers. Bmw staff would I think be unlikely  to admit to any cost cutting Option. The Brembos on my bike are exceptionally good both in feel and stopping power so the question remains why change supplier if not due to cost. Only Bmw will know. The brake bite and progression compare favourably to the Msport brakes on my X1.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Beagle wrote: Having had3 Bmws with Brembo brakes I have never experienced brake fade or leaks There is of course the Abs system which will influence the feel of brake calipers. Bmw staff would I think be unlikely  to admit to any cost cutting Option. The Brembos on my bike are exceptionally good both in feel and stopping power so the question remains why change supplier if not due to cost. Only Bmw will know. The brake bite and progression compare favourably to the Msport brakes on my X1.
[size=78%]
[/size]
[size=9px]Well there you go then, can't argue with your experience and reasoning.[/size]