General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Gavj
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2020
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

New Member - 1st BMW

Post by Gavj »

Howdy to all. I joined the forum a week ago but have waited to introduce myself as I didnt have the bike at that point. Bike arrived on Saturday, fortunate enought to get a second hand 2020 model, 1250 cam shift, SE model but with keyless, electronic suspension and alarm all aready fitted. Bike is 3 month old with 1700 miles. First owner bought it on line during lock down... wasnt what he thought it was. Poor guy must have lost a small fortune but no point in keeping a bike you dont want if you can afford to change it.
So, first run today, very pleased, did a bit of everything... riding in traffc / town, B roads and some motorway. I have been riding since the 80's so a vintage  :))  rider.... last 10 years on triumphs, with my last bike being a Trophy 1215 (2013 plate) Ill be honest, if Triumph had continued to do a tourer I would have probably bought that... I have had a great time with my Triumphs..
So it has been a running rumour that Triumph copied the RT when they designed the Trophy... the similarities are obvious (to me). As I loved the Trophy I was looking for something similar to replace it.
I have only done 175 miles on the RT, initial thoughts.... Love it. Its not Jap 4 cyl smooth, just like the Trophy's triple, but has character.... and fuelling is perfect, looking forwrd to more miles.... should have bought it earlier in the year  :)

stay safe everyone

Attachments
IMG_2926[1].JPG
DSC_1708.JPG
BruceInMass

Re: New Member - 1st BMW

Post by BruceInMass »

Nice bike! Good luck with it.
Gogs11uk

Post by Gogs11uk »

When you see the two of them like that there is a lot of similarities.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Being a complete weakling lacking in technique, I could not get the Trophy onto its centre-stand. I found even a K1600 easier.

So that was the beginning and end of the test drive - didn't even turn the ignition on........
John Bentall
Gavj
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2020
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Gavj »

beemerboy9 wrote: Being a complete weakling lacking in technique, I could not get the Trophy onto its centre-stand. I found even a K1600 easier.

So that was the beginning and end of the test drive - didn't even turn the ignition on........

:alas:  you should have tried it, it really is a good bike. I had a Tiger before the Trophy which I had lowered the suspension.... it as a bugger to get on the stand so the Trophy was fine. I did notice that the RT is much easier.

One of my friends has a GS which he struggles to get on the stand so I shared a tip from the Trophy forum,place 1/2" piece of wood on the floor and run the back tyre onto it, then it pops onto the stand much easier,,, good for your garage but not so handy when your not at home.
ymfb

Post by ymfb »

Personally I find putting the RT on its centre stand very easy compared with the GSA, I assume because it’s so much lower.