Smartphone Link

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
Rambler358
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Smartphone Link

Post by Rambler358 »

MikeS wrote:Once you've looked at the google page you can transfer the destination straight to the sat nav.
How do you do this?
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

As Simbo says, look for the share symbol and choose the smartphone tab.
This was all new to me until yesterday but tried it a few times and seems to work ok.

Last edited by MikeS on Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rambler358

Smartphone Link

Post by Rambler358 »

MikeS wrote: As Simbo says, look for the share symbol and choose the smartphone tab.
This was all new to me until yesterday but tried it a few times and seems to work ok.
Okay, so it doesn’t go directly to the Nav. You send it to the Garmin Smartlink app, then send it to the Nav from there. You had me confused when you said you sent it straight from Google Maps to the Nav.
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Rambler358 wrote: Okay, so it doesn’t go directly to the Nav. You send it to the Garmin Smartlink app, then send it to the Nav from there. You had me confused when you said you sent it straight from Google Maps to the Nav.

Apologies

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

MikeS wrote:
Apologies

Me too :). I thought you meant it went direct to the Nav.
Col

Post by Col »

I started to read this thread as I was initially confused about the subject. Now after reading through it I can safely say I am now twice as confused  [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Col wrote: I started to read this thread as I was initially confused about the subject. Now after reading through it I can safely say I am now twice as confused  ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I'll try and explain. There is an app you can download called Garmin Smart Link. Once you have your phone pared to the Nav, you can use this app on your phone. So if you have a traffic subscription etc the Nav uses the app for information. But you can also use the app to search for locations, by post code, or full address and once found, if you open the location, you see an information symbol, if you click that, you can send the location on the phone directly to the Nav, so saves you going through the "where to" screens.  Now you can also search on google maps and share whatever you find to the smart link app, then transfer to the Nav. The confusing bit was, it sounded like you could search on Google Maps and transfer direct to the Nav, but you can't :)
Rambler358

Post by Rambler358 »

Also, transferring from Google Maps to the Garmin Smartlink app doesn’t appear to work for iPhones, unless I’m missing something.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Rambler358 wrote: Also, transferring from Google Maps to the Garmin Smartlink app doesn’t appear to work for iPhones, unless I’m missing something.

You're missing the point of the Smartlink App.

You will have a separate mapping app to transfer data from phone to the SatNav - MyRouteApp for example. This app will have a means of talking to the Garmin in a language that it will understand.
John Bentall
Rambler358

Post by Rambler358 »

beemerboy9 wrote:You're missing the point of the Smartlink App.
No, I’m not. The Smartlink app can transfer addresses to the Nav, and alert you to traffic and weather if you’re subscribed to them.
You will have a separate mapping app to transfer data from phone to the SatNav - MyRouteApp for example. This app will have a means of talking to the Garmin in a language that it will understand.
Here, you’re missing the point.
MyRouteApp will not transfer directly routes directly to the Nav. A mapping program will need to export a GPX file for the route that can be imported into the Nav.

The Smartlink app is not meant for route creation or transferring routes, where a mapping program is.
gadgetgaz
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by gadgetgaz »

On an Android phone whenever you click on a mapping link (such as an address in your phonebook) the default is to open Google maps - but if you have another app  installed that can deal with such a destination - like the Garmin Smart link app - the phone asks you which app you want to use to deal with the link. If you choose Smartlink it will ask if you want to send the destination to your Nav. Works brillinatly!
2023 R1205RT LE Sport Blue. Retired motorcycle cop now IT consultant and RoSPA RoADAR examiner.
GREATSCOT

Post by GREATSCOT »

Hi all.  Very stupid question, BUT I will still ask publicly!

Other than sitting in the comfort of your house browsing your phone what are the benefits of using the app over directly inputting the destination into your satnav?  I've read the post properly but not quite absorbing ALL the benefits from using an app that won't transfer direct to your Nav VI, transferring it to a Garmin App, then ensuring your satnav accepts the data transfer from your phone once they are paired?

Just asking ???
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I don't transfer anything into the Garmin App. I use it as an aid if I want to find a specific address, ie type in a house number and street into search, then when I find it, I just transfer it to the Nav. It saves me just inputting a postcode into the Nav manually and then putting in the house number or street address. The app is also good if you search for say a specific petrol station or hotel and then just ping it straight over.

For route planning I use my route app, then transfer the gpx route via the export tool in the app direct to the Nav VI.
GREATSCOT

Post by GREATSCOT »

Casbar wrote: I don't transfer anything into the Garmin App. I use it as an aid if I want to find a specific address, ie type in a house number and street into search, then when I find it, I just transfer it to the Nav. It saves me just inputting a postcode into the Nav manually and then putting in the house number or street address. The app is also good if you search for say a specific petrol station or hotel and then just ping it straight over.

For route planning I use my route app, then transfer the gpx route via the export tool in the app direct to the Nav VI.

All makes sense CASBAR. Do the app and NAV connect automatically when you start the bike up and does it register your new destination automatically and ask if you want to start directions etc?
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

GREATSCOT wrote:
All makes sense CASBAR. Do the app and NAV connect automatically when you start the bike up and does it register your new destination automatically and ask if you want to start directions etc?

Assuming you have the Nav and phone paired, yes. I normally keep my Nav off the bike. So I switch the Nav on and then with the app running, you hit the information circle on the location of the map and it asks if you want to transfer to device. You click yes and the Nav screen will come with something like import route, you click yes and it then takes you to the normal start Nav screen. If you transfer then switch the Nav off, the location will be in history, so when you put the Nav on the bike, just go to history to pickup the location. Of course if you are on the bike with the Nav on, then same applies but you are ready to go. One point of note about the Nav, if you leave it on the bike, it is not switched off, it is in standby, so if left for a while, the battery will go flat. The only way to switch it completely off is to take it out of the cradle, cancel the switch off, then press the button on the rear of the Nav VI until the switch off option comes up. The battery will still drain if not used, but will last a lot longer than if in standby. Of course if you use the bike regularly, then leaving it in standby is fine.